Delilah?

I like the name, but the negative association of the story of “[name]Samson[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name]” seems to plague me.

I’d possibly use it for myself. But I don’t know if I want to bear something with such heavy “historical” tones. You know?
I’m very spiritual, but not necessarily religious. So I’m toying with it, but at the same time, I feel like it’s…“wrong” for me to use. It’s weird.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the name and it’s background?

I want to like Delilah, but I can’t even get past the negative Biblical associations to try and like it. The story has always been seen in a pretty negative light in the Christian circles I am in, and I wouldn’t want to put those associations on anyone I would know–whether it would be me trying to rename myself or a future child! Then again, I do know a grown woman with the name (she actually goes to my church) and she actually pulls it off pretty well. That being said, she has admitted herself that her parents were Christians when they were born and she can’t conceive why they would name her that even though they knew the Bible story! I think something like just Lila is much more attractive.

If you aren’t really that religious, then I would think the same reasons don’t hold up, but I would be aware that quite a few people will have the association to the name. If you have doubts on it, though, I would toss it and keep looking for something you think would fit better. Adelaide has a similar feel to me, and shares the same “Dell” sound–or even Adele… I’m not sure if either of those appeal to you. I think Adelaide Lila would be a really cute name, come to think of it. :slight_smile:

I know a [name]Delilah[/name] who’s about 30, I dont think anyone has ever given her grief over her name and as far as our shared friends no one has ever mentioned it being an offbeat name

I’m an atheist with scientifically driven beliefs, and even I have a hard time getting past the biblical story. This may be because I was raised a [name]Christian[/name], or it may be because I am very driven by literature, including the bible to an extent, but I a
always surprised to hear of a baby named [name]Delilah[/name] because I still have those associations with the name.

It’s just such a well known bible story that even those who were raised as [name]Christmas[/name] [name]Eve[/name]/[name]Easter[/name] church Christians know it! I don’t really like this name cause of the association to this and that song.

I think it is a great, strong, feminine name. I love it. I can totally picture it on a little girl all the way to an adult. And I’ve read the bible story, too.

I like just [name]Lila[/name] so much better! [name]Delilah[/name] seems overtly frilly to me. The [name]Samson[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name] thing would bother me a lot too. [name]Even[/name] if you are not [name]Christian[/name], (I am not saying you aren’t just speaking generally :slight_smile: ) she could grow up to be and might feel that she hates her name because of the associations.

I have no associations with it and i think it is a lovely sweet unassuming name, a pink delicate flower. It would be a pitty to lose it because of some assosiations which i dought the majority of people will care for.

I do want to watch the australian movie ‘[name]Samson[/name] & [name]Delilah[/name]’ annoyed i havent already.

I love [name]Delilah[/name] :slight_smile:
It does remind me of the [name]Tom[/name] [name]Jones[/name] song though. Having had an upbringing totally devoid of religion, I have no comment on the bible story!

Im sort of surprised that people have such a hard time with [name]Delilah[/name] but are ok with [name]Saul[/name] when it comes to biblical names. I guess [name]Delilah[/name]'s story is just more familiar? I dont think people realize she didn’t actually cut off [name]Samson[/name]'s hair but she did sell him out which resulted in his downfall so she is still to blame. The name is nms but Im a little sad that it can’t escape this negative associaton.

I think [name]Delilah[/name] is beautiful! As an atheist, the Biblical story doesn’t phase me whatsoever. However, if you’re already thinking about the negatives to the name, I wouldn’t use it.

If you read around, many name websites will claim that this name was actually used by the Puritans, of all people, because hey, the Bible was a preferred source for names, and here was an attractive women’s name. So I agree that the issues with the name don’t fully correlate with religiosity. Here are two other data points: much like a poster here, my atheist husband can’t understand why someone would use this name, and, like the poster whose friend named [name]Delilah[/name] goes to church and had church-going parents, my [name]Christian[/name] close friend’s reaction was, sure, why not.

FWIW I’ve read too that [name]Eve[/name], which now seems like a pretty prim name, really, used to be too-bad-for-use, because of the whole Fall thing. Conversely, I think before it became the number 1 name for like 400 years, [name]Mary[/name] was too holy for use in Anglo culture. So this stuff varies over time and I think while some respect is due to it, it’s also not everything.

Ultimately, though, it seems like a name that will turn some people off. To me, that would be enough to stay away, but it doesn’t have to be for you. If you want to avoid it, I agree with pp’s that [name]Lila[/name] is pleasing and also frankly more streamlined and elegant. I also find [name]Dahlia[/name] to have a somewhat similar feel and avoid the history issues.

Good luck!

I love this name…and actually WOULD use it…I’m not religous and it is on our list for our baby girl all though I think her name willbe [name]Rowan[/name]…

[name]Delilah[/name]'s is a strip club in my city with an enormous billboard on a major freeway, so the connotation here isn’t just religious. I think that it is pretty, but I just couldn’t do it. [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Delia[/name] would be a better choice around here.

I think the name’s alright but the worst association for me is that [name]Delilah[/name] After Dark radio show. That woman, and her pillowy voice, grate on my nerves. She’s no biblical heroine but it’s no [name]Jezebel[/name] either.