Delta vs Navy?

We are considering
[name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]

Hey @Braditn, [name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry! From a sound perspective, I prefer [name_u]Navy[/name_u]. But I personally don’t love the military association. If that’s something you’re seeking on purpose though (e.g. if you’re a military family or something of that nature) I can see how it could be quite meaningful! I have a lot of associations with [name_f]Delta[/name_f]: the airline, the Greek letter (I think of sororities), physics/math class (the symbol delta), etc. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though none of those associations are bad by any means, they do make it just a little bit harder for me to hear it as a name. Nothing a little time hearing it on a person wouldn’t fix though! And I can see the sound appeal as well.

To me it seems like you like names that feel a little un-traditional but not too out there. And maybe word/color names also. Your picks remind me of (in style and/or sound):

Nova
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_u]Lux[/name_u]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Prairie[/name_u]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]

For middle names,I think I like the flow of [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] best out of your combos! [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] make me think of:

Laine/Lane
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]

But with [name_u]Navy[/name_u] or [name_f]Delta[/name_f] in the first name spot, I’m finding that a lot of middles sound like a description. [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] sounds like a place, for example. I wonder if a longer middle would help with that? [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]? I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Gosh, they’re both lovely! [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_u]Navy[/name_u]?

2 Likes

I prefer [name_u]Navy[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Delta[/name_f] is too associated with the airline.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I prefer [name_f]Delta[/name_f]. I just don’t personally find [name_u]Navy[/name_u] all that pretty & feminine. It reminds me of either a. a pair of tattered blue jeans (why? not really sure…) or b. the military branch. Which is fine (even though my grandpa was a [name_f]Marine[/name_f]. :grin:), but it’s just not little girl first name-ish in my opinion. [name_f]Delta[/name_f] has a cool imagery of water. It’s simple, smart, & very unique. [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_u]Navy[/name_u] would be kind of cool if you don’t mind the double water association. [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is nice though.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Delta [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is a beautiful name! I adore the name [name_f]Delta[/name_f]! [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is a very interesting option too.

I love [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]! Sweet and cool

I like [name_u]Navy[/name_u] but I’m not loving it with [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f]. [name_f]Delta[/name_f] is a name I’ve never heard before but I really like it! [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] works nicely, but as others have also suggested, what about [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_u]Navy[/name_u]?

When I see them together it makes me think of [name_f]Delta[/name_f] Force and [name_u]Navy[/name_u], so both are military in nature which I find off-putting. I don’t mean any offense by that if that was the intention. It is just not my preference.

Of the two I would probably go with [name_u]Navy[/name_u] but in all honesty I’d choose a different sea-faring or nautical name like [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] or [name_f]Oceane[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Delta[/name_f]! [name_f]Delta[/name_f] reminds me of a river delta, so I like the nature association. I’m also not personally a fan of the strong military connection with [name_u]Navy[/name_u].
[name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is sooo sweet!!

(I was also going to suggest [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]/Indie, so a second vote for that!)

I love [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]!

I normally love [name_u]Navy[/name_u], but [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I think [name_f]Delta[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is the most usable though my favorite is [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], so cute!

I completely agree with @Babies123456. [name_f]Delta[/name_f] is highly associated with the airline. [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is lovely!

I love [name_u]Navy[/name_u]!