Demi/Damaris

I tried posting this question earlier but I can’t find it now- I think it might have not been posted for some reason (I’m still getting used to the new layout). Anyway, my question is what are your thoughts on [name]Damaris[/name], nn [name]Demi[/name]? I’ve recently come across [name]Damaris[/name] and I think it’s lovely, and I’ve always liked [name]Demi[/name] as a nickname, but not any long forms. Now I’ve thought of putting the two together- is it too much of a stretch?

In my opinion, [name]Demi[/name] is a teensy bit of a stretch from [name]Damaris[/name], but I actually like quirky, original, nontraditional nicknames (I use the nickname [name]Maisy[/name] for my daughter Esm”, which may, at first glance, look like quite a bit of a stretch :wink: ) I think [name]Demi[/name] is cute, and I’m glad you’re trying to find a longer form because, even though I like names like [name]Mekhi[/name] and [name]Levi[/name] for boys, I find [name]Demi[/name] too much of a nickname name for girls. (inconsistent, I know!) [name]Damaris[/name] is not exactly my style, but I think its pretty. However, be warned that it does sound quite a bit like the male name [name]Demario[/name]/[name]Damario[/name], and it seemed masculine to me as first glance. Hopefully you’ll be able to get some more opinions to compare with mine! [name]Hope[/name] this helps :slight_smile:

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Thank you so much! [name]Maisy[/name] is adorable for [name]Esme[/name]. And I know [name]Damaris[/name] isn’t very feminine sounding, but I kind of like that toughness. I like a lot of hyper-feminine names, but I also like legitimate girl names (NOT unisex names) that have strength to them- like [name]Juno[/name], [name]Jane[/name], or [name]Damaris[/name].

Anybody else have an opinion?

One last thing - [name]Juno[/name] and [name]Damaris[/name] is a PERFECT sibset! Like you mentioned, they both have such strength, but still remain feminine (not unisex). [name]Just[/name] wanted to let you know how much I love those two together :slight_smile:

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

[name]Maisy[/name] is a big stretch for [name]Esme[/name]. A ridiculous stretch - they are completely different names.

I don’t think it’s a ridiculous stretch. I hear it in the sounds- [name]Maisy[/name] sounds kind of like [name]Esme[/name] with the syllables reversed. It acutally makes more sense to me than [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisy[/name]. And I think [name]Maisy[/name] is a very childish-sounding name, I don’t imagine she’ll use it as an adult, so I think naming her [name]Esme[/name] was a smart idea.

I love [name]Damaris[/name]. I love it because that was the name of my midwive that attended the homebirth of our daughter. She was such a wonderful, kind, caring, compassionate, peaceful woman. Having said how much I love the name [name]Damaris[/name], I’m not crazy about [name]Demi[/name]. I automatically think [name]Demi[/name] [name]Moore[/name]. But, I’m totally, 100% anti-nn for our kiddos, so take that feedback with a grain of salt. :wink:

I’m glad you have such a positive reaction to [name]Damaris[/name]! [name]Demi[/name] wouldn’t be an all-the-time nickname- she wouldn’t be one of the kids called only by a nickname. I would probably split it about 50/50, at least until she’s old enough to tell me which one she prefers.I just like nicknames, or at least the option of having them. I have a VERY nickname-proof name, but I’ve always wished I had the option of a nickname, so I want to make sure I don’t pick a name that’s totally un-nickname-able. But I guess [name]Maris[/name] could work too, it she wanted to be called that.

[name]Demi[/name] is super cute! [name]Damaris[/name] does sound pretty masculine to me, though. You’ve probably already thought of [name]Demetria[/name], but what about [name]Demeter[/name]? It’s one of those strong, not traditionally feminine sounding names. And it’s the name of a lovely Greek goddess. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, quirkflower! I have thought of [name]Demetria[/name], but I nixed it because I like [name]Demi[/name] pronounced more like [name]Demi[/name] Lovato than [name]Demi[/name] [name]Moore[/name] (intonation on the first syllable, not the second). I hadn’t thought of [name]Demeter[/name], and it’s a great suggestion, but I don’t like the -er ending. For some reason -er enders kind of freak me out. But is [name]Damaris[/name] really too masculine sounding? Is [name]Damara[/name] (a variant) better? I really like [name]Damaris[/name], but I wouldn’t want her to be mistaken for a boy or anything…