Descriptions

Some of the descriptions are a little(or a lot) harsh and judgemental.
Like [name_f]Jeanine[/name_f]. It is my middle name, anyway.
Any other descriptions anyone thinks nameberry schould fix?

Other users have pointed this out as well. I, too, think the descriptions shouldn’t judge, but the last time this topic came up it has been stated that presenting opinions rather than just facts is what distinguishes Nameberry from other wikis, so this likely won’t change.

ok. i just think they should be a little bit less harsh.

We do sometimes revisit and change descriptions if they are unnecessarily harsh. It’s true that what sets us apart are opinions but ideally those should be well-informed and diplomatically phrased. So please point out any that you believe deserve another look. Thanks.

Sorry, I think this is a really horrible idea :confused:

You’re setting up all kinds of prejudices that might not have been there already. I have come across sexist and borderline racist comments, and I think this is really problematic. We are moving well away from shaming now, as a society; it is not something to endorse.

Please reconsider.

The description for the name [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] should be changed. I hate the thought that someone with that name might search for it and see that - it just seems unnecessarily cruel. There are other names too but I can’t remember which ones off the top of my head.

Re: [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f]

Wow, that is an unnecessarily harsh description. And it doesn’t cite any sources! Who wrote this “description”? :eek:

Elfrida is unappealing on every level.

On what levels? On whose terms? :confused:

Re: Re: [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f]
I think [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] is an amazing and mystical name! The person who wrote that didn’t bother to say what levels. It was mere opinion expressed unnecessarily harshly that was not substantiated at all! I love nameberry but things like this are very upsetting.

RE: [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f]

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’m not the only one who thinks so! Criticisms are OK if they are substantiated, or at least explained. This is mere opinion with no explanation (and a cruel opinion at that). I think admins should aim to change these types of name description.

Hello everyone, I hear you!

Changing old descriptions like these is an ongoing project of mine, but it’s really difficult to find them all without help from the community, so big thanks for pointing this one out. Let me know what you think of the new write-up.

Please do leave a comment below with any more descriptions you think need a second look, or you can PM me, or email me at emma (at) nameberry (dot) com.

Thanks!

That’s so much better! Thanks [name_f]Emma[/name_f], if I spot any others I will email as requested.

You could make some sort of opinions section on name pages as well as an unbiased desciption? [name_m]Just[/name_m] an idea:)

@elenajeanine That’s ideally what we’re shooting for now in name descriptions, whether new or updated. Plus the comments section always provides plenty of thoughts from various angles!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] [name_f]Katinka[/name_f],

Could you possibly change [name_u]Marian[/name_u] (male)? It reinforces toxic masculinity, and is borderline racist tbh.

@ferix08 Done, thank you. [name_u]Marian[/name_u] is a beautiful name, definitely deserving of a more positive write-up.

@katinka Thank you! Great job :slight_smile:

Salome - In the Bible, Salome is the name of a female disciple of Jesus, not Herodias’s daughter (who is unnamed). I feel that the NB description should be amended to point this out.

@choupette Thanks. Please check out the new description for [name_f]Salome[/name_f] and let me know if I’ve got my facts straight – I think so!

@katinka: Yes, I believe that is correct! Thank you. :smiley:

@katinka: thank you for working on this issue! Could you perhaps take a look at the page for [name_f]Rilla[/name_f]? I’m not sure if it ticks the boxes for a necessary change but I was rather taken aback by “Ripe for ‘gorilla’ teasing” as the only description beyond the name’s origin.