Desperate and dilating...

I, a desperately dilating insomniac, type this in the wee hours of the night.

My husband and I vowed we would not be in this position–VERY pregnant and VERY undecided on names. Our two-year-old toddler even senses our anxiety and looks up from his train table to offer suggestions: “We should name the baby [name]Diesel[/name] or Steamer or Mechanic. Those are good names.”

Interestingly, we had no difficulty naming our son. We both loved the name [name]Luke[/name]: we loved that it was classic, timeless, good for a child or adult, masculine, simple, and short. We appreciated that the name carried some weight (given its religious/spiritual roots), yet simultaneously had a free-spirited, pioneer feel.

But, now, we’re struggling to find a sibling name–male or female–to accompany it.

[name]MALE[/name] NAMES:

I realize that I’m not giving you much to work with, but we like short, strong, timeless names for boys. Our last name is long (Gilbertson), so one or two syllables is likely best. While we love the name [name]Luke[/name], we recognize that it’s also incredibly popular, and would like to choose a name that shares the same qualities as [name]Luke[/name], but is less common. I mentioned above that we liked the dichotomy of the name (i.e. religious yet free-spirited), but please understand that we’re not interested in a bunch of cowboy names. And, the name does not need to be biblical. Strong, short, simple, ageless, unique (but not weird). Am I making any sense? And, of course, we’d like for the name to go well with [name]Luke[/name]. I wish I could offer you more specific names that we like, but, frankly, I can’t think of any. (In fact, my brain is so fatigued that I could barely create a user name and password for this message board!) We like the name [name]North[/name], but just aren’t certain. I think it suits our last name (which is Scandinavian, i.e. of the [name]North[/name]), but I’m not convinced that it goes so well with [name]Luke[/name].

Any suggestions? Please!

FEMALE NAMES:

For female names, we like the name [name]Francesca[/name], but, as with [name]North[/name], aren’t completely sold. We love the nickname [name]Frankie[/name], but do not at all love [name]Fran[/name] or [name]Franny[/name]. And, how could we stop people from calling her [name]Franny[/name]? I love the “cesca” part of the name, though, and wonder what other female names might have a similar “cesca” sound. [name]Tessa[/name] comes to mind, but so does my husband’s romantic past (an ex-girlfriend was named [name]Tessa[/name]). As you can see, I like Italian names for girls (but not boys) and, for some reason, I don’t mind a polysyllabic girl’s name. I’m open to non-Italian suggestions, though.

Again, not much to run with, I realize. But any ideas would be hugely appreciated. Heck, at this point, we’d even use your user name as a middle name. Or, we’re just going go with first name [name]Braxton[/name] and middle name Hicks.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Kai[/name] for a boy? It is Scandinavian, short, and sounds nice with [name]Luke[/name]. Nothing immediately came to mind for a girl, but I’ll keep thinking. Good luck!

what about these for boys?
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Cale[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Cash[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Lane[/name] (might not work so well with [name]Luke[/name])
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Rocco[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]
[name]West[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]

this is all i could come up with for girls…
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]

hope that helps!

The first two names that came to mind for boys were [name]Eli[/name] and [name]Grant[/name].

Others:
[name]George[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]- [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] were made for one another.
[name]Charles[/name]- [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] is another great combo.
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]

For girls I think [name]Francesca[/name] is gorgeous. I wouldnt worry about the nn thing, people will call her what you call her.

Others you might like:
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Emeline[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Love[/name] the suggestions of [name]Grant[/name] & [name]Eli[/name] with [name]Luke[/name]! I’ve always liked the name [name]Francesca[/name] and if we ever decide to use it, her nn will be “[name]Chessie[/name].” Not everyone’s cup of tea but we like it…

[name]How[/name] about [name]Adam[/name] for a boy?

It’s short, strong and will suit him all his life.

OK, so for boys:
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Alec[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Beau[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Brett[/name]
[name]Brock[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Gabe[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Jared[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Nate[/name] / [name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Shea[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]

Girls:
[name]Alessa[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dara[/name]
[name]Felicia[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Monica[/name]
[name]Perla[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]

My absolute favorite name for a baby at the moment is [name]Sloan/name for either gender. Its not perfect with [name]Luke[/name] but at least its one syllable. I also like [name]Jake[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Beau[/name], [name]Cal[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Tate[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Burgh[/name], or [name]Will[/name]. I hope that help a pinch!

I forgot to mention [name]Caleb[/name]. I think [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] are super sweet together. And as far as the [name]Tessa[/name] business goes, what about just [name]Tess[/name]? I used to live next door to a little girl named [name]Tess[/name] and I think its super cute!

[name]Miles[/name] [name]Christian[/name] meaning [name]Christian[/name] soldier

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name], [name]Reed[/name]/[name]Reid[/name] and grant are great suggestions. I also Like [name]Boaz[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name].

More ideas-
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Brant[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Blaine[/name]

First name that came to mind for a boy, and it may seem odd, but is [name]Forbes[/name]. I actually know someone named F0rbes Gilbertson, and i think [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Forbes[/name] is actually quite handsome. Hopefully you can let go of the [name]Forbes[/name] Magazine association, but hey maybe one day your little guy will be lucky enough to grace it’s pages.
Other ideas - bolded are favorites
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Levi[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]West[/name] Gilbertson - for some reason this is more approachable then [name]North[/name], or you could use [name]East[/name].
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Beau[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Ace[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Blake[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Rhett[/name] Gilbertson - very handsome yet down to earth at same time. Plus literary connection (Gone with the WInd, [name]Rhett[/name] [name]Butler[/name])
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Fletch/name Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Ford[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Hawk[/name] Gilbertson - maybe [name]Hawk[/name] short for [name]Hawthorne[/name]? Thes boys would be very cool
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Gray[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Hart[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Nash[/name] Gilbertso
n
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Tate[/name] Gilbertson - although [name]Tate[/name] is slightly feminine these days

As for girls i’m a little stuck. To me [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name] are so completely different, but here are some multi-sylllable names that i could see working: - bolded are faves
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Annabel[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Annie[/name]”
Luke & [name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Gigi[/name]” - i love any name that starts with G with your last name, then she could have the nn “[name]Gigi[/name]” which is beyond fun!
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Flora[/name] Gilbertson - very sweet!
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Agnes[/name] Gilbertson "[name]Aggie[/name]:
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Camilla[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Milly[/name]”
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Willa[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Arabella[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & Mazarine Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Gigi[/name]” or “[name]Evie[/name]”
Like & [name]Milena[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Milly[/name]”
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Mariela[/name] Gilberton “[name]Ella[/name]”
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Romilly[/name] Gilbertson “[name]Roma[/name]” or “[name]Romy[/name]” or “[name]Milly[/name]” - [name]LOVE[/name] this for you!
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Azalea[/name] Gilbertson - very cool!

My top picks would be [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Forbes[/name], [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Rhett[/name], [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Hart[/name] for boys, and [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Romilly[/name] “[name]Romy[/name]”, [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Azalea[/name] “Zazie”, [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name] “[name]Evie[/name]” for girls

Really hope this helps

I think I may be in the minority here, but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]North[/name] and I think it has all of the qualities you’re looking for. [name]Luke[/name] & [name]North[/name]…very cool. I’ll also throw in [name]Ari[/name] as a suggestion because to me it fulfills all of your criteria of being classic, timeless, good for a child or adult, masculine, simple, and short. And the meanings couldn’t fit better: [name]Ari[/name] means “[name]Lion[/name]” in Hebrew (definitely carries weight) and “[name]Eagle[/name]” in Icelandic (definitely free-spririted). I’ll also throw the suggestions of [name]Liam[/name], [name]Seth[/name], and [name]Callum[/name] in the mix (my other favorites!).

My votes are:
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]North[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Ari[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Liam[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Seth[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Callum[/name]

Too bad about [name]Tessa[/name], I love it with [name]Luke[/name]. So far of the suggestions I really like [name]Camilla[/name] (great nn options: [name]Cami[/name], [name]Milly[/name], [name]Lily[/name], and my favorite, [name]Lila[/name]) and [name]Genevieve[/name] ([name]Eve[/name]). I’ll also add [name]Vincenza[/name]; Italian and same flow and similar sound to the “cesca” sound in [name]Francesca[/name]. Its a bit out there, but I thought I would throw it in the mix…I have great connotations with this name, it is my Italian grandmothers’ :slight_smile:

My votes:
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Camilla[/name] ([name]Lila[/name])
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name] ([name]Eve[/name])
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Vincenza[/name] (Cenzi? Cenza?)

Good luck!

[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Enoch[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Evan[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Liam[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Nate[/name]

[name]Luke[/name] and Alaska
[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Luke[/name] and [name]Chelsea[/name]

And for what it’s worth, I like [name]North[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name] very much.

I’m not going to give you a long list of names since I think the last thing you need are MORE CHOICES!!

So I’ll repeat what I said in another of your threads: I love the name [name]North[/name], and think it goes well with [name]Luke[/name]. Pair it with a more traditional middle name, to give him options.

[name]North[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Kyle[/name] Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Phillip[/name] Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Dylan[/name] Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Milo[/name] Gilbertson

I think a 2 syllable name that starts with “A” or “E” or “I” sounds best. So (****my favorites):

[name]North[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson****
[name]North[/name] [name]August[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Adams[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Aaron[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Asher[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Amos[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Erik[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson****
[name]North[/name] [name]Edward[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Enzo[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson
[name]North[/name] [name]Ian[/name] (& [name]Luke[/name] [name]Franco[/name]) Gilbertson****

I really like [name]Francesca[/name], and think the nickname [name]Frankie[/name] is super cute for a girl. I tihnk you will have no problem avoiding [name]Fran[/name]/[name]Frannie[/name] as a middle name. In fact, both the women I have met named [name]Francesca[/name] used their full names, no nicknames.

So a (very) few other options:
[name]Nicolette[/name]
[name]Lisbeth[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]**** (I love [name]Luke[/name] & [name]Claudia[/name])
[name]Tecla[/name] / [name]Thecla[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]

my first thought is [name]Mark[/name].

[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Mark[/name] Gilbertson

others…

[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Taj[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Ty[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Jonas[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Max[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Mack[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Silas[/name] Gilbertson
[name]Luke[/name] & [name]Zack[/name] Gilbertson

I was about to suggest [name]Walker[/name], as it’s the boy name I like that I feel most emanates the qualities you said you wanted in a male name, but then I realized, “Oh, then they’ll just need a girl named [name]Skye[/name] and it’ll complete the dork trifecta.”

So, moving right along. Can’t help you much with boy names because one-syllable names are off my radar (have a one-syllable last name), but [name]IMO[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Chiara[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], and [name]Cecilia[/name]/[name]Cecily[/name]/[name]Celia[/name] are similar in spirit and sound to [name]Francesca[/name]. Less so, there’s [name]Alessandra[/name], [name]Luciana[/name], [name]Cheyenne[/name], [name]Cherie[/name], [name]Helena[/name], and [name]Chloe[/name]. [name]Francesca[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] are two faves of mine btw. I say you just go with [name]Francesca[/name], chances are she’ll have whatever NN you give her and if she doesn’t, no biggie - it’s not like childhood nicknames necessarily follow you your whole life.

Good luck!

My favorite short and sweet boy name (although [name]Luke[/name] is up there) is [name]Beau[/name]. It’s simple and chic yet cute on a little guy.

I can’t think of a girl name that has the same sounds and [name]Francesca[/name] – maybe she could go by [name]Chessie[/name] or Chessa? Idk, I agree that [name]Franny[/name] is not ready for revival, but maybe you can find something else you like. People will call her whatever you introduce her as.

I do think that the name [name]Cressida[/name] has a melodic feel that is similar, and though it isn’t Italian, it does have European roots and a solid history.

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear what you’ve decided on!