Desperate for opinions: Adiah (A-DEE-uh) Yes or No?

I posted yesterday afternoon but didn’t get much response, so I thought I’d try again. My husband and I are desperate for opinions. .

I’m head over heels for the name [name]Adiah[/name]. I can’t shake it. It means “ornament of Jehovah” in Hebrew and feels like a significant declaration of our faith and the hope we have that our daughter will be a unique expression of God to our world. However, I worry about how the name will be recieved. . . I have a feeling most will not be able to pronounce it. I have an extremely common name, so I’m not familiar with the repercussions of possessing a name few recoginize and pronounce correctly. Should this even be a concern? Also, I worry about it looking made up or seeming like a cultural mismatch particularly on a resume (we’re of Irish/Swedish decent). Should I toss it out and look for something new, or do you think it would be well recieved?? Also, our son’s name is [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think it’s an ok sibset? Thanks so much for your help! I truly value your opinion!

It is a pretty name with a very special meaning! You are right that there would be a spelling and pronunciation concern. However, it would be much less of a problem as a middle name. Is that an option for you?

I’ve searched for so long and can’t find any other name that turns my head or captures my heart like this one. . . It’s difficult to consider moving it to the middle because I like it so much. I want the name to dominate future conversations you know? But I want to be kind to my daughter as well. I’d be willing to move it to the middle if most feel like it’s ultimately too strage. I’ve considered giving her a more common/normal middle name to give her a future option if she just can’t stand the name [name]Adiah[/name]. . . Thanks for your advice. . . Can you think of middle names (or first names) that would sound good with [name]Adiah[/name]?
The top on my list right now is [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Colette[/name]. I also considered [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Sofia[/name]. I’m drawn to classics.
Thanks again!!

Then it sounds like you have found THE perfect name for your daughter. Of course, [name]Adiah[/name] can work as a first name. It would flow well with a lot of mn options, except for some that end with a and those with a strong long e sound.

[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Colette[/name] would be nice! Additional ideas:

[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Raquel[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Claire[/name]

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions! You don’t think it would be a name that would be percieved as wierd by her peers (all the Olivias, Isabellas, and Sophias)? I [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Claire[/name]!! My husband thinks [name]Claire[/name] is boring, but I feel like it’s strong, classy and sophisticated!

[name]Adiah[/name] is definitely not in the category of weird names. (There are plenty of those!) [name]Adiah[/name] is a pretty name that is just less recognized.

I agree with your opinion about [name]Claire[/name]. Maybe there’s a chance your husband will warm up to it.

Other possibiities in addition to [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Colette[/name] and [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Claire[/name]:

[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Faye[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Jordan[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Adiah[/name] [name]Simone[/name]

A plus for the name [name]Claire[/name] is that it means “bright,” which blends with and adds to the meaning of [name]Adiah[/name]. Maybe that will brighten up the name for your husband.

Firstly the name imo has pronunciation issues and I for one would probably say a die ah, and I don’t like the die part in the name.

If you spelt it as Adea it may help. [name]Jonah[/name] and Adea sound okay together.

Honestly though I think that there are more Biblical names that would be unusual yet easier to pronounce.

PS [name]Just[/name] read all the posts on how you love the name, then I would say use it but people will have pronunciation issues with it. I had a child in my class with a similar kind of name and I always stumbled over it and wondered if I was saying it correctly and I am the kind of person who can remember a class full of kids names in a couple of days. I also used to think about the parents and whether the child was Jewish because I thought it may be a special name for a Jewish child, otherwise I thought that the parents had a very unusual naming style. In a way I felt sorry for the child having what I felt was such a hard name for others to pronounce.

[name]Hi[/name],
I think that you are definately headed in the right direction. [name]Adiah[/name] is really pretty and is not that culturally distinct, so I don’t think that you should have a problem there. Personally, as the parent, you will be the one introducing your little [name]Adiah[/name] to the world, so you’ll have the ability to give people the right pronuciation of the name from the beginning.
I [name]LOVE[/name] the meaning of “ornament of Jehovah”, and I, like you, am stuck on finding the perfect meanings to go with the names I choose for my children. We named our youngest “[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Mae[/name]” meaning “bringer of light to mankind” and “precious”. At 3 days of age she was diagnosed with a very rare medical condition and has been pioneering treatments for her condition ever since - so she has very much lived up to the meaning of her name. To me, the meaning of a name can be very significant.
I love how [name]Claire[/name] (meaning “bright” and having connections to possibly also meaning “light”) is a beautiful combination with the name [name]Adiah[/name]. Also, the fact that it is classic and simple makes it beautiful against the unique and exotic sounding [name]Adiah[/name]. I like [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Claire[/name], but [name]Adiah[/name] [name]Grace[/name] also comes to mind as a beautiful combination. I’m sure that you’ll find something that fits perfectly and both of you will love it.
Best Wishes and Blessings to you!