Desperate to fall in love with a girl name!! Audrey's sister

[name]Audrey[/name] really cute brings to mmind [name]Audrey[/name] hephern [name]Early[/name] 1900’s
[name]Estella[/name]
Launna
[name]Caitlin[/name]
Guineveve
[name]Esme[/name] (Ez-[name]May[/name])
Adreine
[name]Calisto[/name]
[name]Cala[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Tiffany[/name] (think breakfast at tiffany’s)
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Kyla[/name]

THANKS so much for your time, everybody! I’m inclined toward names with a bit of glamour ([name]Genevieve[/name] over [name]Ruby[/name], for example). A couple questions: 1) Is [name]Genevieve[/name] (as in [name]Jen[/name]-a-veev) a legit pronunciation or is the name actually completely french and should really be [name]Jhon[/name]-ve-ev, which is absolutely beautiful, but my hubby and I are English/Welsh/Scandinavian and I’d feel like an imposter going with a real french name. 2) what about [name]Gemma[/name] with a last name that starts with an A. Probably too much, right? I’ve stayed away from the a endings thus far because of that. 3) What does anybody think of Merdyn? Is it too made up or masculine? I made it up but my sister loves it and mom likes it, so I’m looking for some more opinions. THANKS AGAIN!!! The search continues… :slight_smile:

[name]Jen[/name]-a-veev is a legitimate pronounciation in English speaking countries so you should be safe.

I think [name]Gemma[/name] is ok with a last name ending in A so long as it’s 3 or more syllables

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce Merdyn. Mer-din sounds a bit like murder to me but Mer-deen is ok.
Similar names = [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Meredy[/name], [name]Meryl[/name], [name]Merica[/name], [name]Merona[/name], Meridian, [name]Myrtle[/name], [name]Madina[/name].

I think [name]Genevieve[/name] has been commonly enough used by English speakers with the pronunciation jen-uh-veeve that this is a legitimate name. I think it’s an okay name, but much prefer [name]Gwendolyn[/name] - is that a name you’ve considered?

[name]Gemma[/name] is nice enough, but I think it sounds too cutesy next to the elegant [name]Audrey[/name], and it might not be best with an A last name, though that depends on what the last name is.

Please do not use Merdyn!!! I’m sorry to be harsh, but I just think there are so many wonderful names out there that it is wholly unneccessary to throw some letters together to make one up and cause your child a lifetime of confusion in the process.
If you like the sound of Merdyn, though, perhaps you would love the name [name]Meredith[/name]?
I think [name]Meredith[/name] is a great name, and matches [name]Audrey[/name] quite nicely.
It is not, however, a glamorous name, as you indicated you wanted (though, I must say, neither is Merdyn).

Glamour to me (especially the type of Hollywood glamour evoked by a name like [name]Audrey[/name]) is best found in names like [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Lucille[/name], or [name]Marilyn[/name] (all of which, by the way, do not end with an a, and therefore would probably sound lovely with your last name, not to mentioned would make fabulous sisters to [name]Audrey[/name]!).

Yes, you can pronounce [name]Genevieve[/name] as [name]JEN[/name]-eh-veev, which - as an American - is the only pronunciation I’ve heard. It is still glamorous and beautiful, and I don’t see it as butchering a classic French name…

[name]Gemma[/name] with an A list name wouldn’t be ideal, but if it is the only name you love, then its fine. [name]Gemma[/name] Atkinson, for example, doesn’t have the same easy sound as [name]Audrey[/name] Atkinson.

Merdyn, well I’m a no for that! It looks made up, it is made up, and it isn’t that cute or pretty in my opinion. I don’t think it would stand a chance next to feminine and sweet [name]Audrey[/name]. Merdyn also makes me think of murky and [name]Merlin[/name], and it does sound masculine.

Many Old-Hollywood glamorous names end in A, but here are some that don’t…

[name]Ingrid[/name] (Bergman) - Casablanca
[name]Lauren[/name] (Bacall) - wife of [name]Humphrey[/name] [name]Bogart[/name], film star
[name]Betty[/name] (Grable) - 40s Pin-Up Girl
[name]Marilyn[/name] ([name]Monroe[/name]) - Some Like it Hot, Gentleman Prefer Blondes

More…

[name]Vivien[/name] ([name]Leigh[/name]) - [name]Born[/name] [name]Vivian[/name], actually.
[name]Dorothy[/name] ([name]McGuire[/name], Lamour, Bridges, Dandridge)
[name]Judy[/name] ([name]Garland[/name])
[name]Rosalind[/name] ([name]Russell[/name]) - [name]LOVE[/name] THIS!
[name]Elizabeth[/name] ([name]Taylor[/name]) - [name]Libby[/name] is a great nickname…
[name]Lillian[/name] ([name]Gish[/name])
[name]Kay[/name] ([name]Kendall[/name])

Oh wow, I love [name]Dorothy[/name] with [name]Audrey[/name]! I’m not sure if she’s exactly glamorous, but she’s definitely got personality. Although I really like [name]Genevieve[/name] with [name]Audrey[/name] as well.

About Merdyn: I really wouldn’t use this with [name]Audrey[/name]. Apart from sounding created, it also reminds me of the French “merde” (so sorry”I think it just popped into my head b/c we were discussing [name]Genevieve[/name] but now that’s all I see).

[name]Hi[/name]! I second (or third or fourth) the comments about [name]Genevieve[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!!!) and Merdyn (it sounds close to murderin’ to me). I can see [name]Gemma[/name] with [name]Audrey[/name], too, but I agree that it’s not the best with an A last name.

(Was [name]Maren[/name] suggested as an alternative to Merdyn? I think [name]Maren[/name] is really pretty…)

If you like [name]Gemma[/name], you may also like [name]Emmeline[/name], which contains the “em.”

I can see [name]Vivian[/name] with [name]Audrey[/name], because I think of [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] and [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Oh, I see some [name]Emmeline[/name]'s there. We’ve an [name]Emmeline[/name]. No middle name since we thought it took away from the name.

I really like [name]Mae[/name] or [name]Maeve[/name] for a girl. [name]Alice[/name] is another favourite, as are [name]Anais[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Astrid[/name].

You have an [name]Emmeline[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] that name! :slight_smile:

Take care!

I love

[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Maren[/name] or [name]Marian[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

with [name]Audrey[/name]!

I love so many of the other posters suggestions, but I’ll give you some other suggestions I love with [name]Audrey[/name].

[name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Liza[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] (I’ve always loved [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] as a sibset)
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Roxana[/name]/[name]Roxanne[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Cecil[/name]/[name]Cecily[/name]/[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Celie[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Eula[/name]
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]

I like [name]Audrey[/name] with [name]Cambria[/name].

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lila[/name]?

What about:

[name]Vera[/name]

[name]Phoebe[/name]

[name]Delta[/name]

[name]Opal[/name]

[name]Ivy[/name]

[name]Nova[/name]

[name]Helen[/name]

[name]Agnes[/name]

[name]Mary[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Alice[/name]

[name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Tessa[/name]

[name]Georgia[/name]

[name]Stella[/name]

[name]Clara[/name]

[name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Rosa[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name]

[name]Julia[/name]

[name]Karen[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!!!

Names I love with [name]Audrey[/name]:
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Ismay[/name]
[name]Isabeau[/name]
[name]Romy[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Leonor/name
[name]Nella[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
Good luck with your search!

OK, big whoops with a typo from me! Merdyn (like [name]Merlin[/name]! would indeed be awful! I meant to type Meredyn (similar to [name]Meredith[/name]). Sorry for the confusion!!! (no more late night obsessing and typing bleary-eyed!! :wink: but in any case, it’s probably not going to hang on as a possibility, so onward. I’ve considered [name]Meredith[/name] but just doesn’t “zing” me, and as my original post said, I really want to ‘fall in love’ with a name and be excited to give it to my new little one. Thanks to everyone for the help and best to all.

Hm, Meredyn is by far and above better than Merdyn, but I still don’t find it attractive, especially next to her sister’s name.
It also makes me think Meridian.

My best friend’s sister in law recently named her daughter [name]Mirin[/name] (MEER-in) and I love it! (I did just find out that there’s a Japanese wine by that name though…) It was derived from the French word mirar, “to admire”. There’s also the name [name]Mireille[/name], (meer-AY), with a similar derivation.

For a glamorous non A-ending name, I put my vote towards [name]Ingrid[/name].

Since [name]Audrey[/name]'s sister may be a Pisces (eight weeks from [name]January[/name] 20th?), maybe a name that highlights her possible ocean, dreamlike nature that conveys her strength ([name]Audrey[/name] is a very strong name).

[name]Aislin[/name] or [name]Aislinn[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]

[name]Happy[/name] [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name].

I also like linnea

I also like linnea