devi? - a sister for viggo

hello all

my husband and i both love the name [name]Devi[/name] for our baby girl due in june.

im curious to know what you think of the name…and if you think we’ll forever be correcting people thinking her name is [name]Debbie[/name]…?

as our background is nordic/indian i really like the idea of one name from each culture…but im not sure about [name]Viggo[/name] & [name]Devi[/name] together?

the other favorites are [name]Leela[/name] & [name]Amaya[/name]

would appreciate your thoughts…
thank you!!!

devi? - a sister for viggo

by cecil on Thu [name]Jan[/name] 21, 2010 11:49 pm (Unread)

hello all

my husband and i both love the name [name]Devi[/name] for our baby girl due in june.

im curious to know what you think of the name…and if you think we’ll forever be correcting people thinking her name is [name]Debbie[/name]…?

as our background is nordic/indian i really like the idea of one name from each culture…but im not sure about [name]Viggo[/name] & [name]Devi[/name] together?

the other favorites are [name]Leela[/name] & [name]Amaya[/name]

would appreciate your thoughts…
thank you!!!

In all honesty, when I saw the title of your post I thought that it said ‘Devil’. While it has a wonderful meaning, I would be concerned it would look like a misspelling of Devil, [name]Demi[/name], [name]Debi[/name], etc.
I like [name]Amaya[/name] from your other choices. Other ideas:

[name]Amita[/name]
[name]Indira[/name]
[name]Lalita[/name]
[name]Ramana[/name]
[name]Veda[/name]

oh…i hadnt thought of that connection… at all…
thank you for your post & other suggestions!

I also read Devil the first time through…sorry

I also saw “devil”. :frowning:
I really like [name]Amaya[/name] and [name]Leela[/name].

I also saw Devil…

I do however like [name]Viggo[/name] and [name]Devi[/name] together - love the fact its honouring each culture x

I saw devil, too. I thought, “Whaaat?” Thought I’d seen everything.

What about
[name]Daphne[/name] - one of my favorites
[name]Devon[/name]
[name]Devora[/name]

With [name]Viggo[/name], I love [name]Pippa[/name].

I didn’t think of devil at all until the other posters mentioned it. I do like the [name]Viggo[/name] and [name]Devi[/name] combination though.

Sorry, I saw “devil” as well. However, I think the name [name]Dev[/name]-ee is really cute and goes with [name]Viggo[/name]. Could you spell it differently to avoid the devil mix-up? Maybe:

[name]Devee[/name]
Devey
Devie
Devvi (Like Livvi, the nn for [name]Olivia[/name])

Ooo…just thought that if you spelled it Devvi, it would mirror the spelling of [name]Viggo[/name]. Maybe that’s a plus?

[name]Devi[/name] is cute. I know one, so I didn’t see “devil” until I read the other posts. I also know a Darshana that goes by Darsh and I’ve always thought her name was incredibly cool. I think [name]Viggo[/name] and Darsh make a really great sibset! [name]Viggo[/name] reminds me of “vigorous” and Darsh reminds me of “dash” so they both feel strong and powerful.

p.s. I think it’s the question mark in the title that’s making people see “devil”

Maybe the reason so many of us saw devil is b/c of the ? right next to devi in the title of your post.

devi? vs devi

without the ?, it might not have popped out as ‘devil’ quite so much b/c the ? looks a lot like an “L”.
I’m not sure, though. What do others think? I still feel a little uncomfortable with it b/c it is so close to ‘devil’ in spelling.

thank you so much for your honest answers - just what was needed!
i really like some of your other name suggestions & alternative spellings…so we shall keep thinking about it and keep testing them out.
glad some of you like the viggo / devi combo too.
leela was always top of the list as well…until i came upon this site and realized its destined for 2010 superpopularity.
oh well…im glad we have a few months left to think.
any further suggestions most welcome.
thank you all x

I like [name]Devi[/name]. It could look like devil in situations like: [name]Devi[/name] looks happy. Or: Come here, [name]Devi[/name]! But I don’t think it’s a huge problem.
What about [name]Deva[/name]? I think I like it even better.

Some more Scandinavian girls’ names:

[name]Britt[/name]
[name]Dagny[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Lempi[/name]
[name]Lovisa[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
Runa
[name]Saga[/name]
[name]Signe[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Tove[/name]

[name]Devi[/name] is pretty and sounds great with [name]Viggo[/name]. If you’re looking for suggestions, might I suggest [name]Suvi[/name]? It means “summer” in Finnish.