DH ex-wife named her cat our top name - Jill, Lemon, Help!

[/quote]

I like:
[name]Genevieve[/name] (my hubs says sounds like a sentene vs. a name - haha)
[name]Georgette[/name] - that is awfully sassy and spunky (the most “ginger-ish”)
[name]Georgia[/name] (seems a tad popular. no?)
[name]Greta[/name] - my mom’s favorite; I [name]LOVE[/name] the [name]Greta[/name] [name]Garbo[/name] connection. very sophisticated.

BlueBonnet,

[name]Genevieve[/name] - I love this one. A sentence, eh? Well, maybe you and he have a thing for the short, sassy name, then…

[name]Georgette[/name] - Yes, I agree it is most similar to [name]Ginger[/name] for some reason. Definitely sassy, but it is also a big name.

[name]Georgia[/name] - I prefer this to [name]Georgette[/name], personally, simply because it sounds looser and more feminine. SSA lists it at #312, so I wouldn’t say it is too popular. I only know of middle-aged women names [name]Georgia[/name], personally.

[name]Greta[/name] - [name]Greta[/name] is spunky and sweet, and I really love its playful, young sound. And, you have [name]Greta[/name] [name]Garbo[/name]! But, [name]Greta[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is a lot of GRRRR! Ha! [name]Do[/name] you have another G middle name you like? I like it because, in addition to [name]Gigi[/name], you can call her [name]Greta[/name] the Great! ([name]Greta[/name] and Great use the same letters…)

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I haven’t read the whole thread I’m afraid but I don’t think you should let this woman put you off the name that you and your partner love. If you still use it, it will send her the message that you are not upset by her childish mind games.
If not, all your alternatives are really pretty!

I hope you stick with [name]Ginger[/name]! [name]Gigi[/name] is a cute nn and you clearly love the name. I’m afraid that if you choose something else, you’ll regret it and the spiteful woman might use the new name for something else.

I haven’t read other posters so sorry for repeats but all I have to say is

[name]Don[/name]'t allow this person to influence your life any more than she already has…you love [name]Ginger[/name]…go with it. She could name her cat, her car, her tree, and anything else she can think of, [name]Ginger[/name].

Your stepson knew [name]Ginger[/name] as his baby sister before he knew it as a cat.

The cat will only be around for what…15 years tops?

Oh, fiddle! Some people do know how to push buttons.

I’m with everyone else: ignoring her is probably the best bet for you and your daughter. You can look into [name]Ginger[/name] alternatives, but don’t let her force you into it!

[name]Ginny[/name] is particularly nice, I think.

But you already have a great set of names you’re looking at. Live your life acting, not reacting.

[name]Happy[/name] naming!

Namelover

I agree with everyone else…she is already [name]Ginger[/name] to you. Why should you change your baby’s name because his ex is immature?

Since your stepson is the only person who will (may) have direct contact with both your [name]Ginger[/name] and the cat, as long as he has the right understanding of the situation (which it sounds like he has) then all is well. I think he should fully realize that YOU named your daughter first, and the cat is named “after” her - certainly not the other way around. Your daughter is the original [name]Ginger[/name] in this situation. A facetious way of coping with it and defusing the ex’s attempt to rattle you is to pretend she meant it as a compliment: Wow, she must really [name]LOVE[/name] the name, since she felt she had to use it too! Go [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name]!

While I agree that the woman was vindictive, immature and spiteful…I don’t see the big deal with using the name you so dearly love. Sharing a name with a cat isn’t an awful thing, in my opinion. :\ Sorry it happened, though!

Screw her! Use it if you love it. It’s just a cat… At least it wasn’t a kid!

Stick with [name]Ginger[/name]!

If you cave, you’re giving the ex-wife exactly what she wants. She already has you so upset! [name]Carry[/name] on as if she and the cat don’t exist.

I see no reason to change names, especially seeing as you are going to be using the nn [name]Gigi[/name].

This is awful! Your other possible names are really cute, just [name]Gigi[/name] is adorable and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] btw- so if you give up [name]Ginger[/name] you still have a great list!

In my mind it’s not about “letting her win” by picking a different name- you need to pick a name you love. If you will still fully love [name]Ginger[/name] and it won’t feel ‘tainted’ or ‘ruined’ and associated with this wicked woman than you should go for it…
It all depends on how the name makes you feel, how much this cat will be the center of your stepson’s world (does he seem really into the pet or just kind of eh about it…I grew up with an aloof cat that I rarely even interacted with.)

I had the name I picked ‘stolen’ from me ([name]Nina[/name]) and I gave it up because a) I have to have contact with the other little [name]Nina[/name] b) they would have had the same full name and age c) the name was ruined for me cause when I hear it now I feel annoyed, not the feeling I want when I hear my daughter’s name,
The end result is that the name we picked (which wasn’t even in my top 10!) is perfect and beautiful and I can’t believe I was so attached to [name]Nina[/name]…our little girl is such a perfect [name]Leonie[/name]!

Honestly, if you pick another name she might just get another pet and name her that name! She seems horrible enough to do it!

Stick with [name]Ginger[/name]! Believe me, it will work the other way around. She will hear about your stepson’s sister [name]Ginger[/name] enough that every time she goes to call on her cat she will think of you and DH and the lovely little girl you have together. :slight_smile:

lol, ladies, this post is nearly 2 years old! It amuses me that people keep bringing back these really old posts. I’ve seen @bluebonnet posting around here lately, and [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name], nn [name]Gigi[/name], is in her signature so I’m pretty sure she went with it. :slight_smile:

This is a VERY OLD thread!