DH loves it and I don't!!

DH and I have a really hard time coming up with names or agreeing on anything, and with [name]Baby[/name] Number 2 due in 5 weeks we’ve only really started to discuss names. The name he likes best for a boy (gender is unknown) is Askel. It’s Norse and means ‘divine cauldron’, variant Eskel. I hate it, but told him I’d consider it just because he likes it so much. He’s Irish, I’m American and we live in [name]Ireland[/name] so to me it doesn’t make sense and I feel it’s going to constantly be misunderstood. I kind of get his appeal for it though. WHat do you think?

Oh, it is dreadful!!! Please put your foot down on this one. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I wanted to give you an honest reaction. Sorry.

I much prefer Eskel to Askel, but I don’t mind either. They are a little harsh, though.

I don’t care for it at all, but what’s more important is that you hate it, and you shouldn’t be expected to name your baby a name that you hate. I let my dh name our first and it’s a name that wasn’t my choice (I didn’t really have a perfect name in mind) but not loving something and actually hating it are two different things.

Good luck! Keep looking… there’s got to be something out there that you guys can agree on.

Instead of [name]Aksel[/name], which I don’t care for at all (sorry), how about [name]Axel[/name]? Other first names that come to mind are [name]Kyle[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Evan[/name] and [name]Adam[/name].

I like it, but I live in Scandinavia.
but if you’ve considered it and don’t like it, then it’s out of the running. You both have to like the name you choose.

I don’t like it at all. Maybe he would consider [name]Axel[/name]?

Well, your title says it all for me. If you dislike a name (and I think it’s a perfectly logical conclusion to make when it comes to the unattractive Askel), then it should be off the list! [name]Both[/name] parents should love the name. I would advise you to wait a little while and then tell your husband: “Sweetheart, I have considered Askel and I’m afraid I haven’t warmed to it at all so it’s not an option!” Ha! :slight_smile:

LOL This reminds me of my brother-in-law. He is Irish-Dutch and picked some real Norse doozies that my sister had to turn down. They finally settled on [name]Havilah[/name] for a girl and [name]Ephriam[/name] for a boy.

Eskel is at least possible; actually I know a family that has passed down the name Eschol for four generations and they call the latest baby [name]Cole[/name] for short. Askel, however, sounds like @ss-kill and is truly dreadful. Since this ranks in the “I hate it” category for you, I agree that you should keep looking. Good luck!

Yeah definitely keep looking!!

I actually keep reading the name as [name]Axel[/name], and not entirely sure of the real pronunciation and I live in the UK!

This is exactly what I did tonight, and he was great about it. He still thinks that my reasons are silly: that it’s origin sounds strange with our Irish surname, that people will misunderstand it constantly (because we’ll either live in [name]Ireland[/name] or the US), and that nn might be cruel. He believes we should use a name we love and leave it at that, which I kind of admire, but he ignores the meaning, disregards awkward syllable flow, and could care less about initials. All things that I do care about. rolls eyes But we agreed on a much nicer name to fill its place: [name]Oran[/name]. There are a couple of others we like, but I’m much happier to consider [name]Oran[/name].

FTR, I like Scandinavian names and think they are really interesting. I love the sounds they make, and that’s true for Askel (although I prefer Eskel). I just think that for where we live and our background, it doesn’t make sense and will be misunderstood, and I don’t feel that Askel fits our family at all. [name]Hope[/name] I haven’t offended anyone. :slight_smile:

Any name that sounds like it has “Ass” in it has be to vetoed, immediately. Eskel isn’t so bad…and if he simply MUST have Askel, put it in the middle spot!

[name]Oran[/name] sounds much better! [name]Glad[/name] you could find something you both like! Gl!

Edited for privacy.

[name]Oran[/name] is great! So great you talked him out of Askel.

[name]IMO[/name] It’s terrible! I prefer [name]Axel[/name].