DH's family names leaving me uninspired...

DH and I have one adorable little boy, [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Fielding[/name] (Last name starts with V, ends in “ine” sound), and I love his name. [name]Little[/name] [name]Jack[/name] was named in honor of my grandfather, [name]John[/name] [name]Fielding[/name] H, [name]Jr[/name]. since he is the only grandfather left for either myself or my husband. Between the classic full name, cute nickname and the unique but not too weird family name in the middle I think its the perfect name.

Here is where the problem arises: Since [name]Jack[/name]'s name is so much from my family, the idea was that baby #2 (who is still in the planning phases at the moment) would use names from DH’s relatives. If [name]Little[/name] [name]One[/name] #2 is a boy we are set! He’ll be [name]Charles[/name] [name]Everett[/name] after my husband’s much beloved late grandfather [name]James[/name] [name]Everett[/name]. However, all of his girl names seem pretty hopeless right off hand. Maybe you creative girls can help me come up with something.

DH’s Mom: [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
Grandmothers: [name]Mary[/name] [name]Mildred[/name] [name]Berry[/name] & Ocia _________ (hoping her middle name is at least something I can pronounce) Hinds
Great Grandmothers: [name]Beaulah[/name] [name]Laverne[/name] [name]May[/name], [name]Grace[/name] [name]Knox[/name], [name]Marie[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Florence[/name]

Names my husband has already shot down:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]James[/name]

Help me!!

[name]Gracie[/name], [name]Marion[/name], [name]Octavia[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Florence[/name],[name]Meadow[/name] (shirley means little meadow), [name]Milly[/name], [name]Mary[/name]-something

What about an alternate form of [name]Mary[/name]? Like [name]Maria[/name] or [name]Maura[/name]? Or [name]Eva[/name] for [name]Everett[/name]?

[name]Maryann[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (mom, grandmother, great-grandma all in one!)
[name]Grace[/name]-[name]Marie[/name] [name]Knox[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Ann[/name] ([name]Flora[/name] for [name]Florence[/name])
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Eve[/name] (for [name]Everett[/name])
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Evetta[/name]/[name]Evette[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Anne[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Emma[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Emma[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Evette[/name]

[name]Ah[/name] there’s lots to work with - [name]Ann[/name], [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Knox[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]May[/name] - all totally lovely. [name]Shirley[/name] and [name]Beulah[/name] are not great but throw an [name]Ann[/name] in there and your mother-in-law is covered!

[name]Mildred[/name] [name]Knox[/name] (nn [name]Milly[/name] or [name]Millie[/name]) - I can really see [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Milly[/name] having fun together! [name]Knox[/name] has a great sound and balances the feminine [name]Milly[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name] [name]Laverne[/name] - [name]Ruth[/name] is a fantastically strong and feminine name and I think it’s coming up again but not too popular. She can be [name]Ruthie[/name] if a nn is needed.
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Mildred[/name] - [name]Grace[/name] goes well with [name]Jack[/name] and is enjoying lots of love right now, it’s top 10 in the UK but might not be totally overused where you are? Many people pick it because ether simply like it but you have a genuine claim!
[name]Florence[/name] [name]Ann[/name] ([name]Florrie[/name] or [name]Flora[/name], or I’ve seen it shortened to [name]Wren[/name]) - another strong and feminine name of the moment. I can also TOTALLY see [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Florence[/name] playing together.

[name]Florence[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name] would be my favourites for a first name and then you can play around with the sounds to honour a different g/g/mother.

[name]Mary[/name]'s traditional nicknames include [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Mae[/name]. I also genuinely think [name]Mary[/name] itself can be sweetly retro but other variants could be [name]Maire[/name], or [name]Mara[/name].

[name]Ann[/name] is an easy middle. [name]Annabel[/name] is another option.

[name]Mildred[/name]/[name]Millie[/name]/[name]Millicent[/name] are probably ones I would consider for middles.

[name]Beulah[/name] could justify the -[name]Bel[/name] on [name]Annabel[/name]?

[name]May[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Knox[/name], [name]Marie[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name] all make great easy
middle names.

[name]Florence[/name] - well, I love [name]Flora[/name]

Possible combos:
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Jacoba[/name] (This is rather roundabout, but [name]Jacoba[/name] is the feminine equivalent of [name]Jacob[/name], which is the precursor to the name that became [name]James[/name]…)
[name]Ruth[/name] [name]Jamie[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Jemma[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Octavia[/name] (Or [name]Molly[/name] [name]Opal[/name]?)

[name]Shirley[/name] [name]Ann[/name]- Any name that takes the SH & the [name]ANN[/name] sounds like- [name]Shanna[/name], [name]Shane[/name], [name]Shannon[/name]- [name]Anya[/name], [name]Anja[/name], [name]Annette[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Mildred[/name] [name]Berry[/name]- [name]Mary[/name]-____, [name]Marina[/name], [name]Marietta[/name], [name]Marielle[/name], [name]Marisa[/name], [name]Marissa[/name], [name]Mariska[/name], [name]Marika[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Melina[/name] (Russian for raspberry ties into [name]Berry[/name]…you can always look into other berry names in other languages that mean something to you?) [name]Mila[/name]
Ocia Hinds- [name]Oceana[/name]
[name]Beaulah[/name] [name]Laverne[/name] [name]May[/name]- [name]Bella[/name], [name]Belle[/name], [name]Mae[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], [name]Verna[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name] [name]Florence[/name]- [name]Flora[/name], [name]True[/name]
[name]James[/name] [name]Everett[/name]- [name]Ever[/name], [name]Jamie[/name], [name]Jasmine[/name]

OK some of this might be a stretch…I would pick-
[name]Lavender[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Melina[/name] [name]True[/name] (nn [name]Mila[/name])
[name]Shane[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Belle[/name]

DH’s Mom: [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Ann[/name]

Take the ley + ann and make [name]Liana[/name]?

Grandmothers: [name]Mary[/name] [name]Mildred[/name] [name]Berry[/name] & Ocia _________ (hoping her middle name is at least something I can pronounce) Hinds

I really like [name]Mary[/name]! It would need a more unusual first name since it still feels pretty classic, but I do like it. Or [name]Mary[/name] in front with a more interesting middle?

I have mixed feelings about this, but some people on here are growing fond of [name]Millicent[/name], that could connect to [name]Mildred[/name] and I think it is definitely more wearable than [name]Mildred[/name]. Although with either [name]Amelia[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name] as a first, [name]Millicent[/name] is really long in the middle. There’s also [name]Mila[/name] or [name]Milla[/name] for this, maybe even [name]Camille[/name]? [name]Camille[/name] links to [name]Camelia[/name], like [name]Amelia[/name] that you like, and a flower, like [name]Florence[/name] was the flower goddess.

I also noticed you like [name]Amelia[/name] and I think the nickname [name]Millie[/name] from [name]Amelia[/name] is plausible and would honor [name]Mildred[/name].
[name]Berry[/name] might be cool as a middle?

Ocia is pretty cool, really! O-see-a or Osha? What about [name]Ocean[/name] as a cool word middle? or [name]Lucia[/name] with a prn to match Ocia. [name]Lucia[/name] in this case would kind of be a smoosh of the oo sounds from [name]Beaulah[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name], the L from [name]Lavern[/name], and the cia from Ocia.

Great Grandmothers: [name]Beaulah[/name] [name]Laverne[/name] [name]May[/name], [name]Grace[/name] [name]Knox[/name], [name]Marie[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Florence[/name]

[name]May[/name] or [name]Marie[/name] would both honor [name]Mary[/name] too.

[name]Grace[/name] and [name]Knox[/name] are awesome!

If you don’t like [name]Grace[/name], maybe [name]Gray[/name] as a spin on it? Would also honor [name]May[/name].

[name]Beaulah[/name] I have to say is pretty cool, both it and [name]Ruth[/name] are Biblical, so are [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] for that matter, maybe anything religious is an option? [name]Beaulah[/name] kind of could be updated to [name]Bella[/name] or [name]Belle[/name]. What about [name]Rue[/name] from [name]Ruth[/name]?

[name]Florence[/name] is really awesome! I used to not think so, but think about the Italian city, and do you know the band [name]Florence[/name] and the Machine? [name]Even[/name] if you don’t like their music, they give that name a much more youthful, hip appearance.

[name]Flora[/name] might be a little more wearable if you still can’t get behind [name]Florence[/name]?

[name]Laverne[/name] - meaning refers to spring, maybe [name]Spring[/name], [name]Vera[/name] from [name]Primavera[/name], or any flower name? [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Florence[/name] would tie in here too.

With the names you were considering, here are some thoughts:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Berry[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Camilla[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Florence[/name] (love this!)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Florence[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Florence[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Liana[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Liana[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Liana[/name] [name]Knox[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Liana[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Knox[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Mila[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Milla[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Vera[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Vera[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Vera[/name] [name]Knox[/name] (like the vernal equinox? : D).
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Vera[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Berry[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Berry[/name] [name]Knox[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Flora[/name] [name]Rue[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Florence[/name] (love!)
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Knox[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Rue[/name]

There are plenty more that work. Good luck!

Ahh, I absolutely adore [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Mary[/name] alone or as a double name is gorgeous. You have a lot of options here:

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]

This might be completely out there for you but I thought of [name]Amaryllis[/name] to honor [name]Mary[/name] [name]Mildred[/name]. NN Millis/[name]Milly[/name]/[name]May[/name]? I just really like the suggestion of [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Milly[/name].

I love [name]Florence[/name]!
[name]Florence[/name] [name]Ann[/name] or [name]Florence[/name] [name]Mae[/name] would be sweet. I tend to think the [name]Mae[/name] spelling feels less dated than [name]May[/name].

[name]Grace[/name]/[name]Gracie[/name] [name]Mae[/name] is darling too, but in a rather cutesy way

I’d play with variations on [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Millie[/name] is a great nn! [name]Milada[/name], [name]Millay[/name], [name]Milana[/name], [name]Millicent[/name]. There are many.

I [name]LOVE[/name] your little boy’s name! [name]Jack[/name] has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl myself. [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] are so pretty, I can’t believe he turned them down! Oh well what about some of these…
[name]Charlotte[/name]: it’s kind of like [name]Charles[/name], the name you have if baby #2 is a boy, I really like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]/[name]Evelyn[/name]: Sounds like a girl version of [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]/[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]/[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emmaline[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] I could help :slight_smile: I think that you could use any combination of the names that you mentioned as middle names

[name]Do[/name] they both have to come from (or be derived from) his side? If it were me, I might just go with a first name I adored on its own merits, and then pick the surname from his family that I liked best (or that he/you wanted to honor most).

If you need two names, some combos I like are:

[name]Mariel[/name] [name]Florence[/name] (as people have pointed out, [name]Mariel[/name], or any other form of [name]Mary[/name], would honor both grandmother [name]Marie[/name] and great-grandmother [name]Marie[/name]!)
[name]Mariel[/name] [name]Berry[/name] (I knew an adorable little girl nicknamed [name]Berry[/name] once – I wouldn’t use it as a first, but it’s a great middle)
[name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name] (from your prospective son’s name [name]Charles[/name] – does that come from your husband’s family too?) plus [name]Ruth[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Knox[/name], or [name]Everett[/name]

If you want to honor [name]James[/name], there are actually several girls’ names that might fill the bill: [name]Jemma[/name], [name]Jamie[/name] (not my style but cute), and I would have said Jacqueline (feminine of French [name]Jacques[/name]=[name]James[/name]), if you didn’t already have a Jack…

I think [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Gracie[/name]), [name]Ruth[/name] ([name]Ruthie[/name]), and [name]May[/name] could all be cute first names for [name]Jack[/name]'s little sister

[name]How[/name] great that you want to honour both sides of the family! I also plan on going through my husbands family names before we name our child. I am very lucky and have names back to 1700’s on one side of my family - lots of wonderful options!

Could you try going back further? [name]How[/name] about place names/street names from where they lived?

Besides the obvious - I see [name]Lola[/name] & [name]Lula[/name] ([name]Lulah[/name]) coming from [name]Beaulah[/name]. I also like [name]Laverne[/name], [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Florence[/name].

You could always mix the letters around to honour 2 people. Eg. [name]Mildred[/name] & [name]Marie[/name] = [name]Millie[/name]
[name]Florence[/name], [name]Marie[/name] & [name]Ruth[/name] = [name]Faith[/name]

Good luck!

Thank you all so much for all of your help! You’ve definitely shed some new light on names that I had dismissed. I’m loving [name]Berry[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]May[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name] as possibilities! All of these (but [name]May[/name]) are directly connected to my husband’s last living grandparent, so I’m really hoping to be able to incoorporate one of these. I still just can’t come to terms with [name]Mildred[/name], but luckily now we have lots of other options!