Diana or Judith?

Which one do you prefer and why? What kind of associations/imagery comes to your mind when you think of these names?
Also any middle name suggestions and/or alternatives to the names are welcome :smiling_face:

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] has regal vibes, strong, sharp, elegant.

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] is strong, smart and punchy, a bit clunky but cool too.

I think I prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f], because I like the -th ending, the potential nickname [name_u]Jude[/name_u], and the way it’s not associated with one person where I am? (Princess Diana)

Middle suggestions:

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Cleo[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Elora[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_u]Elisa[/name_u]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Emerald[/name_f]

Similar alternatives:

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Dora[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Freda[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to NB!

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] is bright yet strong and vibrant. If you like more classic, I would go with [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Jayne[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f].

If you like more modern, maybe [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Sailor[/name_u], [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Aveline[/name_f] or [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] is softer, more subtle and gives film noir vibes to me. For classic, maybe [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_u]Blair[/name_u] or [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]. For more modern, maybe [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], or [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f].

Hopefully this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I strongly prefer [name_f]Diana[/name_f]. [name_f]Diana[/name_f] is the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of the moon, the wilderness, the hunt, fertility, and protectress of women and girls. For me she is the ultimate strong, badass feminist archetype, so I adore this association.

I find [name_f]Judith[/name_f] very dated and quite deeply unglamorous by personal association. I do feel it has sounds which make it a likely candidate for the oncoming mid-century revival though, it’s just not for me.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Diana[/name_f], as I used to look after a little one with this name, so I’ve had the chance to see it work really well on a toddler. I’ve no doubt that sweet [name_f]Judith[/name_f] would work well too.
Middle name ideas:
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Lyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

Names like [name_f]Judith[/name_f]: [name_f]Jillian[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Ardith[/name_f], [name_f]Trudy[/name_f].

Names like [name_f]Diana[/name_f]: [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_f]Dinah[/name_f], [name_f]Deanna[/name_f], [name_f]Danika[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] - associated with royalty, I love names ending in “a”, “Die” as a nickname could be a downfall

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] - Song “Hey Jude,” Strength > Girly, the baby born in the show TWD

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

1 Like

Gosh this is a tricky dilemma!

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] is gorgeous has bright beyond cool feminist mythological references that are just brilliant and I would love to have associated with myself/daughter. I
She feels regal, elegant, ethereal and has an almost enchanting vibe which is just added by the meaning divine.

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] is strong, classic, has a fun vintage 1950s I’m selling cloudy lemonade from a brightly coloured lemonade stand and I also love the nickname [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. She has lovely biblical history which is appealing and I think she’d be a fun refreshing option.

I think I prefer [name_f]Diana[/name_f] but only just it was a difficult choice to make. If it was me I would take both names into the delivery room then see which one suits my girl.

You’ve had lots of lovely middle name suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Blythe[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Clemency[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Judith[/name_f]. I wasn’t crazy about it growing up. It was very uncommon by the time I got it. That said, I’ve grown to like it. It’s an honor name, which I love. And I love the history behind the name especially the story of [name_f]Judith[/name_f] and Holofernes in the Bible.
[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is Yve.

2 Likes

[name_f]Judith[/name_f], I like the warm vintage vibes and [name_f]Judy[/name_f] is adorable (Jude is also nice if thats more your vibe). For some reason that I can’t put my finger on, [name_f]Diana[/name_f] just does not do it for me.

1 Like

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] is my name and I love it. I like how it’s associated with a goddess and a [name_f]Princess[/name_f] I always admired. I do get called [name_f]Diane[/name_f] sometimes and that’s annoying, but it’s much less so these days. I also get called [name_f]Di[/name_f], but that doesn’t bother me as it is a proper shortened version of my name. I do not associate it with the word Die, that’s just silly as there are lots of negative word associations you could make with thousands of names. Most people use my full name, however. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] and I have always been complimented on it.
So, obviously I’m going to say I prefer [name_f]Diana[/name_f].

3 Likes

Ok, I know I’m biased in this case I LOVE [name_f]Judith[/name_f]! Probably because my 2nd DD’s name is [name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. We call her [name_f]Judy[/name_f] or JuJu and I just really love it!

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] is beautiful as well although I MUCH prefer the more sleek and streamlined [name_f]Diane[/name_f]. Honestly both are lovely names in their own right.

For me names that feel similar are:
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]: [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Edna[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f], Maude/ [name_f]Maud[/name_f], [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]

[name_f]Diana[/name_f]: [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Odette[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

For middle names I love
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] May/ [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] Inez/ [name_f]Ines[/name_f]

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] Beth/ [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]

2 Likes

@DCAT We both have firsthand experience! :blush: [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] is a lovely name, btw.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: :heartbeat:

1 Like

So hard!

From [name_f]Judith[/name_f], I think of Shakespeare’s daughter (from the novel [name_m]Hamnet[/name_m] and Judith.) Because of this, I get theatrical druidess vibes- velvet curtains, gold paint, wild dark brown ringlets, dried flowers, corsets, leaf crowns, bright forest toadstools, and red cloaks.

For [name_f]Diana[/name_f], I think of [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Barry[/name_u] (Anne of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables) and the goddess. So, I see smooth black curls, ruddy cheeks, running barefoot through the forest, snappy eyes, moonlight, [name_m]Beech[/name_m] tree forests, vintage blue dresses, and a violets.

Both are really beautiful- but I slightly prefer the sound of [name_f]Judith[/name_f] and the nickname [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. Really close call though.

1 Like

also if you are into comics princess diana is wonder woman!

1 Like

I would go with [name_f]Diana[/name_f], but I might be biased because my favorite movie has a character named [name_f]Diana[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Diana[/name_f] by far - [name_f]Diana[/name_f] feels elegant, regal and classic. Associations the goddess and [name_u]Rome[/name_u] in general, [name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_f]Princess[/name_f] of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_f]Dianna[/name_f] Agron and [name_f]Diana[/name_f] a character from GRIM

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] feels old lady like and frumpy to me (sorry). Associations - lots of old (and often grumpy) women from churches I’ve been a part of. Also a curly hair influencer from the Netherlands :netherlands:

1 Like

Thank you so so much! I like both names, I truly can’t decide.:sweat_smile:
My one issue with Judith is that it might seem dated as some of you guys mentioned. I thought about using Judy/Judi (with more preference to the latter) on it’s own. I actually like it better this way but I’m not sure this would work.
What do you think?

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe it sounds even more dated than Judith itself… I don’t know anymore😅

[name_f]Judith[/name_f] is my favorite, because she feels warmer, and [name_f]Diana[/name_f] more regal

Diana’s vibes :books: :crown::classical_building::ballet_shoes::lotus::mirror::violin::bouquet:

Judith’s :fallen_leaf::maple_leaf::moon_cake::crescent_moon::ringer_planet::teddy_bear::honey_pot::basket:

middles ~

judith eloise / judith elise
judith amaya
judith anna
judith willow
judith beatrice
judith amelia

diana evelyn
diana lucille
diana olivet
diana beatrice
diana violet
diana emme
diana maeve

1 Like

I am known as [name_f]Judy[/name_f] by the majority of people in my life. It was a very dated name when I was growing up and still is. It’s not my favorite name, but I love it because it’s an honor name. It always reminded me of [name_f]Betty[/name_f], but [name_f]Betty[/name_f] seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

1 Like