Did you change your mind when the baby arrived?

Hi just wondering any mums out there; were you all set on a name and then when the baby arrived you named them completely different?

Did they just not suit their name or was it something else that made you change it?

5 Likes

We (sort of) did with my son. We struggled with his name the entire pregnancy and ultimately kept going back and forth between [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]. Not having a name set in stone was driving me crazy (my daughter was named the day I found out I was pregnant), so around 37 weeks we decided he would be [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. When he was born he looked different than we imagined and my husband immediately said he looked more like an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m].

It was that, and also the main thing that bothered me about [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] was that it is becoming more popular and one week before my son was born my friend named her baby [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. So that popularity worry was fresh in the back of my mind and did help sway the decision.

9 Likes

I think this is reasonably common. A friend was telling me the other day that they had this experience and changed their name choice upon meeting their baby. Her words were: “naming a human is hard… you don’t really know until you meet them.”

3 Likes

We were team green with my first son. We had three girls names and three boys picked out. I had a feeling it was a boy and one certain name of the 3 I was 99% sure of but wanted to wait and meet the baby. Well, upon meeting my sweet babe, I immediately knew he was most certainly not a [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and was 100% [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m]. I can’t quite explain it, but I definitely had the thought of what was I thinking? [name_f]My[/name_f] son is such a [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] and I’ve had people comment how well his name suits him. I admire those who have a for sure name picked before babe arrives, but for us it wasn’t until meeting him that we truly knew.

5 Likes