Did you choose a super rare name? Do you have one? I'm curious about your experience!

I’m really crushing on the name Sunceria right now but it’s so rare that it’s hardly even on any naming sites. I know a woman with the name who I really admire, so I’ve tried looking it up a few places, with no luck.

I worry about choosing a super super rare name - that it could easily become strongly associated with something else (eg [name_f]Isis[/name_f] is a gorgeous name but now there’s the terrorist group), that it would become a burden to be constantly asked about your name, and/or that it would be seen as somehow “less than” more established names. I’m also a little nervous about family reaction.

I’m curious to hear from mamas out there who made the bold choice to go for something truly unique. And/or from people with very rare names! [name_m]How[/name_m] did you made the decision to go for it? What’s your experience been like?

Maybe it’s my age and where I am from. But there wasn’t much bullying or teasing between kids, most certainly involving names when I was growing up. In fact it was the opposite, someone who was different was generally treated better, everyone wanted to befriend them first, etc. So I’ve never understood those connotations with it being “bad” or wrong to do. That said… I grew up with one of the most popular names, but spelled weirdly. I always hated it. I hated having to spell it every single time, still do, my entire life. Hated being 1 in same with 100 other girls. I’ve long been obsessed with names. I think that comes with it too… I am sure I didn’t start as “weird” as I am now… but I always loved rarer names, it’s just gotten more and more and more rare likings since.

I named my first son with a very unique name. Now that he is alot older and I am seeing more of the name world, it’s probably not as unique as I want now or had hoped for, but definitely. People always ask questions, generally “Why did you chose that” which I hate, ebcause my answer is always different. Idk why… just did. It’s a beautiful name I do not share on here. His first name is not and has never been on the top 1000, and his middle name has broken 1000 a few times.

I don’t plan on having more babies but my naming addiction has stuck with me and if I do end up with more kids, their names are genuinely going to be the most unusual and rarest names … ever lol. I don’t care what people think. I don’t want my kids to have the same names as other kids. I do not myself. I like weird name. I like strange people. I like attention honestly, that sometimes a weird name can bring. I like names… [name_m]Just[/name_m] like and appreciate an underused name and the origionality one name can create. If I encounter people talking trash about my kids names, well I deal with that as it comes, but I just don’t see that being a big deal. My family is always used to it. We all have weird names through our families. Lots of originals. Lots of borings.

I grew up with a very unusual name and I hated it. No one ever had my name, I always had to pronounce and spell it for people, I never had things with my name on it because it was never found anywhere. It was always butchered on the first day of school and at doctor’s appointments, etc. I really didn’t like it. I actually wished I had a top 10 name rather than a name that was so unusual.

My name is rare where I am from and people always had a terrible time with pronunciation and spelling. As a child and a teen it was utterly annoying and I always hated my name and wanted to change it. Now I am alright with it, I usually go by a nickname now (by the way my name is [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] nn [name_u]Ali[/name_u]). I’ve met a girl named [name_f]Tasmin[/name_f] and a girl name [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u], I find them very interesting which leads me to ask how they got their name not to tease. I have never heard anyone made fun of for their name in real life, only on TV.

I have a rare but beautiful name [name_f]Marcelina[/name_f].I love my name a lot and I would never change it.I like the feeling of being the only one with that name.I don’t let anyone call me a nn because my name is so beautiful.I love unusual names and I am planning to name my daughters very lovable unusual names.

I think it depends on the individual whether they are going to see a unique name as a good or bad thing. And unfortunately there’s no way of knowing that when you name a baby!

My mother in law really detests her unusual name. But I know I would like to be able to call people and say “[name_m]Hi[/name_m], its [name_f]Araminta[/name_f]” rather than saying “[name_m]Hi[/name_m], its [name_u]Clare[/name_u]” and wondering if they know which [name_u]Clare[/name_u] it is. And while its a hassle having to spell it out to new people you meet, I think its more of a hassle having someone call out “[name_u]Clare[/name_u]” and never knowing whether its you they’re talking or the other one! (and being [name_u]Clare[/name_u] not [name_f]Claire[/name_f] I’ve had to spell it out anyway)

I think if you’re really concerned about whether the child is going to like their unusual name or not, you can either choose something with a more common nickname, or something that is uncommon as a name but is a word that people will be familiar with (e.g. my daughter is [name_f]Vienna[/name_f]).

Thanks, everyone, for your stories and advice. It’s so helpful to hear from people who have been there!

I don’t have that unusual a name but I wanted a very unusual name for my daughter. Hubby made me choose something more well-known (in the mid 200’s on the list) and I regret it somewhat.

My criteria for an unusual name is that you must be able to teach someone to spell and say it within a few seconds. So a girl named [name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_u]Bay[/name_u] or [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is fine. A boy named [name_m]Ajax[/name_m]? No problem. I guess thats why I like word names so much.

The upshot I’m getting from the responses here so far is that too common or too unusual isn’t good either way.

I agree with that and will add that I’d much rather have a more common name than an unusual one. If someone is concerned about it but wants to go for an unusual name, I think they should balance out the name with the middle or stay in the top 500 or so, so that they have a slightly unusual name, but not something unheard of.

My birth name is an uncommon spelling of a common, although somewhat dated name (in my country atleast, in the US it’s nearly unheard of). I got teased with it a lot, because of the different spelling it got mispronounced on purpose, and also because of some stronger emotional reasons I grew to loathe it a lot. I adopted a new name at fourteen and began using it actively since I moved out for uni last month. I love my new name, it’s a rare one too but not hard to spell and I get compliments about it almost every time I meet new people. I plan on giving my future children somewhat rare names, too. Especially because really short, to the point names ([name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], etc) are popular in my country right now and I love longer names that are able to yield a lot of sweet nn’s.

My name is an uncommon pronunciation of a semi-common name. It is a hassle to have my name constantly mispronounced and misspelled, even by people who have known me for years. Lately, I have been introducing myself by a name I love a lot, it’s very old-fashioned and uncommon but familiar enough that it gets pronounced correctly, easily, and my nn is simple.

My observation is that people have an easier time remembering two-syllable or one-syllable names. So if I choose a rare name for my kid it’s going either be a rare two-syllable name ([name_f]Tula[/name_f]) OR a rare name with a simple one or two syllable NN ([name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sara[/name_f]).

I don’t have a rare name, nor do I have a child with a rare name, who knows maybe one day. However I grew up with a very popular name, in my class at school there were 4, [name_f]Amy[/name_f]'s.

My name isn’t rare, in fact the traditional spelling of it is #40 where I live (UK). But my name is spelled [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Erin[/name_f] and it’s constantly misspelled and even sometimes people ask how to say it. It’s frustrating but I’m over it now, I feel sorry for my sister though ([name_f]Kyr[/name_f].ah instead of [name_f]Keira[/name_f]).

All my favourite names aren’t rare but most of them aren’t popular ([name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]…)

Personally, I dislike common names. My name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and I frequently have to deal with other people with my name or with very close variations of my name. And even though my name was ye most popular name in the English speaking world for 400 years, people still spell/pronounce it wrong. (Spell it [name_f]Merry[/name_f], [name_f]Marry[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], saying it like MARR-ee). I currently work with a lady named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] with the same last initial as me and it is tiring. We work at a daycare as well so our name is constantly being called out. We are really good friends, but it is exhausting to try and figure out which mary is being called for! There are also other [name_f]Mary[/name_f]'s at my other job, at my church, at my boyfriend’s job, in my boyfriend’s family, as friends of my parents, etc. but despite it being so common, it is also spelled/pronounced wrong. Also, names with a long history have more teasing potential ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] had a little lamb, mary [name_f]Mary[/name_f] quite contrary, etc)

I believe the ideal name is one that is known but unpopular. Names that are known because they exist and are classic and have existed for a long time. Preferably with nicknames! (My faves currently are [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f])

I have a rare name, Delana, and I love it. I have only met 2 other people with my name, and one of them I was named after. I was not made fun of, but I did get called [name_f]Debra[/name_f] a lot one summer at camp. It was annoying that my sister could find things with her name printed on them when I couldn’t, but custom stuff is easily available nowadays. :slight_smile:

I was always one of many [name_f]Kristin[/name_f]'s … or [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], Cristyn, [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Kristina[/name_f], [name_f]Krissy[/name_f], [name_f]Krista[/name_f], [name_u]Christy[/name_u]… I hated it! I didn’t hate my name I hated people always calling me by my first and last name to distinguish which [name_f]Kristin[/name_f] they were talking about. Or, even worse, teachers deciding on what they’d like to call me so they can keep their [name_f]Kristin[/name_f]'s separate “ok I’ll call you [name_u]Kris[/name_u]”. I plan on giving my kids more uncommon names. I can’t say they are super rare but my favorite girls name is a surname currently listed in the 800’s and my boys name on nameberry is top 100 but I’ve never met one myself. Both are easily spelled and pronounced. Name trends are always changing so a unique name today could be the next [name_u]Harper[/name_u] or [name_u]Madison[/name_u] in a few years.

I have a very rare name, but that’s not surprising, because it’s Thai, and in Thailand it’s considered totally normal to either invent a name or string words together to make a name (e.g. the translation of a name could be something like Pouring-Stars, except it’s in Thai, so non-[name_f]Thais[/name_f] just hear random syllables…) I’ve lived in many English-speaking countries and never had a problem. Probably it helps that I look Thai and so people just accept that I would have an unusual name.

I love that nobody else has my name (even in Thailand, I’ve never met anyone). The idea of having a name which any other person in the world shares just seems bizarre to me! When I was a kid, if I was introduced to someone and I could recognize their name/had heard of it before (even names considered relatively rare, like [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Yves[/name_m]), I used to feel disappointed. My instinct would be to feel as if a name was ‘less’ of a name because it was recognizable… But I know that’s not a very common point of view on this site, or in different naming cultures.

I have a friend named [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u]…she’s 15. I’ve only heard the name one other time and it was an adult (who I think young [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] was named after)

I have such a common name that my husband’s ex-wife and my soon to be sister in law have the same name as me! I always had to be [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] H. In school and my best friend was also name [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]. I hated it then and I still hate it now! Gave my daughters unique names. [name_u]Haven[/name_u]'t had any issues yet. I’m excited for them to be the only ones in their class and to give people the first and possibly only impression of their name.

My daughter has an uncommon name and a rare middle name for where we live. Her first name is [name_f]Noemi[/name_f], and no one can figure out how to pronounce it from looking at it. People keep calling her [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] which gets annoying after awhile. I don’t bother telling people her middle name unless they ask because no one can pronounce it. Her middle name is Xochitl, which is an Aztec name meaning flower.