Did you ever go through a period of not liking your name?

I was born with a name similar to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and I hated it, yes. I hated it so much I actually changed it as an adult, after attempting [name_u]Jess[/name_u] for a few years, but I’m definitely in the minority there! When I was about 10, I wanted to be called [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] simply because they seemed cooler to me at the time. I think a lot of kids go through periods of hating their names as they’re discovering who they are and playing around with who they could be.

So my name is [name_f]Raelyn[/name_f] and my sisters name is [name_f]Letha[/name_f] ([name_u]Lee[/name_u]-tha). Growing up we HATED our names because they are different and we just hated the sound of them. When my sister turned 20 she changed her name to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (her middle name) and I decided to keep mine and embrace it! As much as people might hate there names, it is still part of them. Although I have to admit that I did love pretending to be this whole other person.

I hate my first and middle names (and my last name too, if I’m being honest). [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name just isn’t a nice name. [name_f]My[/name_f] first name, [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], is ok but after years of being called [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] and Goosey [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (or sometimes just Goose), I just can’t seem to like it.

1 Like

Yes! Surprising I know it’s not like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is a popular 1990-2000 name at all is? Thanks mum and dad (I love you really)

I used to hate my name, because I took the fact that people were too lazy to pronounce it right onto myself. I took a pseudonym for the second half of last year, and planned on changing it when I grew up. Luckily, I decided that I liked it after all, though it didn’t stop me from keeping [name_u]Blue[/name_u] as my pseudonym.

Totally! [name_f]My[/name_f] first name is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] but I go by [name_f]Emma[/name_f] to everyone except my parents. I was born the year that the baby in the tv shown Friends was born and her name was [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. So it skyrocketed and it’s been in the top 10 ever since. However, I was named [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] “[name_f]Emma[/name_f]” before that episode came out (I just wasn’t born yet), and I was named after two grandmothers so my name has a lot of meaning to my parents and they weren’t going to switch it.

I hated having a popular name as a kid. I wanted to change it so badly but I knew how much it meant to my parents so I just went by [name_f]Emma[/name_f] anyway. Now as an almost 20 year old I’m starting to love my name. It’s taken a while but I now understand and respect the people I was named after. I still have days where I hate my name because (for example) I’ll be waiting at Starbucks for my drink or something and the barista has to call out two other Emmas before it’s my drink. So it’s times like that where I’m not the only [name_f]Emma[/name_f] when it bothers me. But other than that I love my name and I love the meaning and thought my parents put into it.