Did you grow up with a popular name?

I was going to comment on this earlier. I like my name also, so it didn’t bother me. I think I wouldn’t have liked to be a [name]Jennifer[/name], but Jennifers always seemed to be more popular. [name]Lisa[/name] is an ok name, but it seems to go with a certain personality - at least the ones I knew. I definitely don’t like [name]Kathy[/name]. So I could have minded having a popular name, I do feel that I lucked out getting a pretty nice one (I think). I think there is a nice way to feel about [name]Catherine[/name] and a way to feel like just another boring [name]Cathy[/name] like all the others, as I do like the name [name]Catherine[/name], but I definitely think I would have felt “blah” about being [name]Cathy[/name], both because I don’t like it and because there are so many, similar to how [name]Susan[/name] feels about [name]Debbie[/name] - she doesn’t like [name]Debbie[/name], but she didn’t pick something completely unusual when she changed it to [name]Susan[/name]. I don’t like the name [name]Jennifer[/name] and never really have. I don’t like the name [name]Nancy[/name], either, and those were rare by the time I was born, so it would have been more about having a sort of name I didn’t feel like was me.

However, one never knows if one would feel more like their name if they were given a different one and grew into it. Some people don’t like their names, but I think most people do feel like it’s their name and quite a lot of other pretty good names just don’t fit right. Given for example, the people who changed their name and then changed it back, instead of to a 3rd option. I’ve thought about changing my name most of my life, despite liking my name - if I thought of a better one, I would still miss my own name, but thinking what if my mother named me something else, [name]Linda[/name] was on the list. Would I feel so much a [name]Linda[/name] than a [name]Karen[/name]? Would my life feel a lot different? Impossible to know. I’d rather be a [name]Linda[/name] than a [name]Jennifer[/name], even though [name]Jennifer[/name] was the hot name of the time and [name]Linda[/name] had declined to just above #40 after being the prior hot name of the 50s and 60s.

[name]Deborah[/name] is actually very nice, and [name]Susan[/name] is lovely. I’m so glad there’s another name lover out there who changed their name. I actually wish we can all change our names every single day, I would love to be called [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for a day, it would be so much fun.

Awe, [name]Tiffany[/name], I can relate, because my middle name is of the same style. For what it’s worth, I know two Tiffanys, both of whom are very kind and elegant. But, yeah, I can relate to the whole not liking my name issue. :slight_smile:

If you could have changed your name to anything, what would it have been?

Thanks for posting! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Rachel[/name]! This just shows that popularity totally depends on geography. I think it’s great that you don’t have to share you name with a lot of other people at school.

Have a great night!

I’m glad it didn’t bother you! I grew up with a lot of Jennifers, and I don’t recall any of them complaining about their name. They went by different nicknames and spellings, so I guess that helped.

I know what you meant by mentioning popularity, especially in reference to when you were in high school. It makes sense that because there weren’t other Jennifers in your group of friends, that it felt like name belonged to you. Totally understandable…

Thanks for posting! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Susan[/name]! I totally forgot that you were once [name]Deborah[/name]! Blubbery pudding…LOL! :slight_smile: You crack me up.

Thanks for reminding me about [name]Black[/name] [name]Susan[/name]! I love [name]Little[/name] House in the Big Woods!

I know I’ve told you this before, but I love [name]Susannah[/name] because of you! :slight_smile:

I forgot to check the other thread (about your mom), but I’ll go there in a minute. I hope you’re doing okay! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I was actually hoping a [name]Sophia[/name] would respond! Growing up, I always planned on naming a baby after my Great Aunt [name]Sophia[/name] (I think it’s a beautiful name), who died at a young age in an accident. I still love the name, but like you said, Sophies are everywhere. :frowning:

I’m glad that you didn’t really have to share you name when you were little, and I can only imagine how annoying it must be to hear variations of your name all the time these days.

I love how you wouldn’t answer to the wrong name! Very spunky, Miss H.! :slight_smile: (But seriously, how in the world does someone, let alone a teacher, mispronounce [name]Sophia[/name]?) I do love [name]Sophie[/name], but because it’s the French verison of [name]Sophia[/name], I think of it as its own name, not as a nickname for [name]Sophia[/name]. (I promise not to call you [name]Sophie[/name].) :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Gracie[/name]! Like you said, I know very few Graces over the age of 20 or so. I think it’s a beautiful name. :slight_smile:

You know, I totally forgot that you had older girls! I their names are very pretty, and I love that [name]Madeleine[/name] wants to be [name]Buttercup[/name]! :slight_smile:

Is your sister-in-law still going with [name]Clementine[/name]? (I’m hoping she had a change of heart…)

I hope the babies are doing well! (I love their names…)

Have a good night!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Sandra[/name]! (You’re the only [name]Sandra[/name], not [name]Sandy[/name], I know, and I think it’s very pretty…) I agree with your “Is it a great name?” litmus test when it comes to popular names. ([name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] come to mind…):slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m a huge [name]Elizabeth[/name]/[name]Eliza[/name] fan, and I’m glad you like your name. :slight_smile: Would you have felt differently if you had a trendy name that was shared with your classmates? And one more question: Would you have preferred [name]Eliza[/name] to [name]Elizabeth[/name]?

Thanks so much for posting! :slight_smile:

Take care![/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name]! I’m sorry I’m only just getting back here now. In fact, I was just about to post again, to say that I’m sure I would have felt differently had my name been trendy. I love that [name]Elizabeth[/name] is classical, and popular for a good reason. I feel that since it’s one of those names that has stood the test of time instead of popping in and out for a few years, that I can bear its popularity. In fact, I’m proud of it! :slight_smile:
On [name]Eliza[/name], I do like it a lot (it’s a beautiful name), and I even thought about using it for one of my kids. But as a question of which name I like better, I guess I am biased towards [name]Elizabeth[/name]. :slight_smile:

I hope this helped! (Great idea for a forum topic, by the way!)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m so glad you rechecked the thread (thanks). :slight_smile: Aha…So, you would have felt differently with a trendy name. If I were named [name]Elizabeth[/name] (or any classic name), I’d have felt the same way as you; I would have been proud! :slight_smile: Along the lines of what [name]Sandra[/name] said above, if it’s a great name, it seems like popularity becomes a less important issue.

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

I was going to comment on this earlier. I like my name also, so it didn’t bother me. I think I wouldn’t have liked to be a [name]Jennifer[/name], but Jennifers always seemed to be more popular. [name]Lisa[/name] is an ok name, but it seems to go with a certain personality - at least the ones I knew. I definitely don’t like [name]Kathy[/name]. So I could have minded having a popular name, I do feel that I lucked out getting a pretty nice one (I think). I think there is a nice way to feel about [name]Catherine[/name] and a way to feel like just another boring [name]Cathy[/name] like all the others, as I do like the name [name]Catherine[/name], but I definitely think I would have felt “blah” about being [name]Cathy[/name], both because I don’t like it and because there are so many, similar to how [name]Susan[/name] feels about [name]Debbie[/name] - she doesn’t like [name]Debbie[/name], but she didn’t pick something completely unusual when she changed it to [name]Susan[/name]. I don’t like the name [name]Jennifer[/name] and never really have. I don’t like the name [name]Nancy[/name], either, and those were rare by the time I was born, so it would have been more about having a sort of name I didn’t feel like was me.

However, one never knows if one would feel more like their name if they were given a different one and grew into it. Some people don’t like their names, but I think most people do feel like it’s their name and quite a lot of other pretty good names just don’t fit right. Given for example, the people who changed their name and then changed it back, instead of to a 3rd option. I’ve thought about changing my name most of my life, despite liking my name - if I thought of a better one, I would still miss my own name, but thinking what if my mother named me something else, [name]Linda[/name] was on the list. Would I feel so much a [name]Linda[/name] than a [name]Karen[/name]? Would my life feel a lot different? Impossible to know. I’d rather be a [name]Linda[/name] than a [name]Jennifer[/name], even though [name]Jennifer[/name] was the hot name of the time and [name]Linda[/name] had declined to just above #40 after being the prior hot name of the 50s and 60s.[/quote]

[name]Karen[/name], I’ve also thought about how my life would have been different if I had a different name, and if the person makes the name or if it’s the other way around (or a combo…).

Interesting! :slight_smile:

[name]Deborah[/name] is actually very nice, and [name]Susan[/name] is lovely. I’m so glad there’s another name lover out there who changed their name. I actually wish we can all change our names every single day, I would love to be called [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for a day, it would be so much fun.[/quote]

I’m calling you [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for the week! :slight_smile:

[name]Deborah[/name] is actually very nice, and [name]Susan[/name] is lovely. I’m so glad there’s another name lover out there who changed their name. I actually wish we can all change our names every single day, I would love to be called [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for a day, it would be so much fun.[/quote]

I’m calling you [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for the week! :-)[/quote]

I’d love to be [name]Daphne[/name] for a day and a half!

Done! :slight_smile:

[name]Daphne[/name], I can’t find the thread on which I was talking to you!
Hmm…

[quote=“jill”]

Done! :slight_smile:

[name]Daphne[/name], I can’t find the thread on which I was talking to you!
Hmm…[/quote]

My full name is [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Rowena[/name] [name]Chesney[/name].
What name do you want to have temporarily?

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name] :slight_smile:

The babies are doing wonderfully, thanks :slight_smile: I am not doing quite so well- I knew triplets would be tiring but I’m closer to complete exhaustion, didn’t think one person could be so exhausted! We’re going to [name]Florida[/name] over the [name]Christmas[/name] holiday (yes, a 8 hour plane journey with 6 month olds!) and both sets of parents and aunts and uncles are coming so hopefully we’ll get something of a break when there as we won’t be so vastly outnumbered!
The girls adore being little mummies and [name]Maddie[/name] especially is a great help :slight_smile:
My [name]SIL[/name] is still going with [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Joy[/name], yes and has yet to mention it to me.
[name]Hope[/name] you’re well! :slight_smile:
[name]Gracie[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Gracie[/name]! I’m sorry you’re so tired. :frowning: I hope you have a great time in [name]Florida[/name], and was so happy to read that you’ll have so much help!

She still hasn’t told you she’s using [name]Clementine[/name]? Oh well…

Take care of yourself! :slight_smile:

I grew up with not just ‘a’ popular name, but ‘the’ popular name lol. To be honest, it was kind of irritating in grade school. There was always guaranteed to be at least one other [name]Jennifer[/name] in my classes. But once I got to college, I stopped meeting so many other [name]Jennifer[/name]'s - and this was at a major state university. And in my 8 years of working since graduation, I’ve only worked with one other [name]Jennifer[/name] and that was for a short timeframe. I actually work with 3 [name]Linda[/name]'s, so maybe my office is just heavy on baby-boomers.

I guess I should’ve chosen “other” - it sucked to have a popular name growing up as you try to form your own identity, but I don’t mind being a ‘[name]Jennifer[/name]’ whatsoever as an adult.

ETA, I’ve never come across a man who complained about having a popular name - I’d guess your results would differ if more men were on these boards. I’d be interested in finding out why they don’t mind having popular names.

[name]Hi[/name]! I was actually hoping a [name]Sophia[/name] would respond! Growing up, I always planned on naming a baby after my Great Aunt [name]Sophia[/name] (I think it’s a beautiful name), who died at a young age in an accident. I still love the name, but like you said, Sophies are everywhere. :frowning:

I’m glad that you didn’t really have to share you name when you were little, and I can only imagine how annoying it must be to hear variations of your name all the time these days.

I love how you wouldn’t answer to the wrong name! Very spunky, Miss H.! :slight_smile: (But seriously, how in the world does someone, let alone a teacher, mispronounce [name]Sophia[/name]?) I do love [name]Sophie[/name], but because it’s the French verison of [name]Sophia[/name], I think of it as its own name, not as a nickname for [name]Sophia[/name]. (I promise not to call you [name]Sophie[/name].) :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! :-)[/quote]

You know, I went and asked my father about the incident with the teacher, and he said I somewhat undermined my argument by demanding to change my name to ‘[name]Belinda[/name]’ less than a month after the parent-teacher conference. I don’t remember this at all, but choose to believe I did it because that woman pronounced ‘h’ “haitch”. Haitch! Gah!

I think it’s a tough decision to make, trying to give your child an individual identity (because, when it comes down to it, our names are our primary identifiers, at least on a surface level) that allows them to stand out and be their own person, not just one of a sea of [name]Jennifer[/name]'s or [name]Olivia[/name]'s, (and whatever associations other people have with those names) but not stand so far out that the child spends their entire life with unnecessary struggles because “Spoon” (for example) is just not an easy moniker to live with!

As for your great-aunt [name]Sophia[/name], I think it would be so lovely to honour her in some way in the name of your future daughter! In the end, the personal meaning and thought behind a name is what counts, and I still am often told what a lovely name I have! It’s popular, but it’s not [name]Madison[/name]!

My name is [name]Lucy[/name] which was fairly popular when I was growing up and is still fairly popular now. There were definitely times when I would have preferred to have a less popular name as I didn’t like to be one of two in the class and be [name]Lucy[/name] X/ [name]Lucy[/name] Y. Now, I like my name and appreciate the fact that it isn’t dated in the way some other names of my generation are.
Having said that, if I had been given a more unusual but classic name, I may have liked that even more, difficult to say.