Did your first baby come early or late?

See the results of this poll: When did your first baby come?

Respondents: 45 (This poll is closed)

• Before your due date : 23 (51%)
  • On your due date : 4 (9%)
  • After your due date: 18 (40%)

It’s actually common for first babies to come around or after your due date! I’ve just found a study that says that average length of a pregnancy was about 40 weeks + 8 days for first time mothers, and 40 weeks + 3 days for mothers having their second, or subsequent babies.
It’s weird but I don’t remember my daughter’s exact due date…It was either [name_f]May[/name_f] the 5th or [name_f]May[/name_f] the 15th and she arrived on [name_f]May[/name_f] the 12th.

EDITED: I think it was [name_f]May[/name_f] the 15th, she was a little early.

My first was nearly two weeks late, and I was induced after my water broke without labour starting. My second was exactly one week late, and my labour started spontaneously that time.

My brother and I arrived almost right on time, so the idea that the length of gestation will mirror that of your mother’s isn’t always true. Hopefully you don’t have to wait too much longer! Find some good distractions, the time after your due date can go slooooowly.

Not a mother, but I know my oldest brother came early. We were all early actually.

I went into labour on my due date and he was born the following morning. My second was induced two days early.

My first baby came 15 days after my [name_m]EDD[/name_m]. I was induced at 13 days past [name_m]EDD[/name_m]. I hope your baby comes much sooner for you. I know that waiting for your baby can become very depressing. Good luck!

I don’t have kids but I’m a firstborn due on 21 Oct and arrived on 23 Oct. However my mum considers me to be on time since she kinda felt everything starting on the 21st.

I’ve always heard the opposite, that first babies are usually late.

I was due [name_u]January[/name_u] 2, she was born [name_u]January[/name_u] 17. Longest two weeks of my life. I ended up getting induced the night of 41+6 because I had zero signs of going into labor anytime soon (they couldn’t even do a membrane sweep to try to get things going). That said, most people don’t make it that far and go into labor on their own, but I had always heard that first babies are late too, even though I didn’t believe it. For the next one I’m going to think of it as a “due month” instead of a “due date” so I don’t get so frustrated!

@lowslash, @northernlights, @bebe83 Thanks, I hope she gets here soon too!

@northerights That’s a good idea! I’ll try and keep that in mind.

I don’t know where I heard firstborns typically come early. Whatever, just hope she gets here in the next few days because I’m already going crazy waiting!

On his due date!

[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] was 8 days early and [name_f]Kiana[/name_f] was only 2 days early. I really thought she was going to come even earlier, but I was wrong.

I am the first born in my family, and my mom said I came after her due date.

My little one was ten days early. I’ve always heard that the first baby usually comes after the due date though.

My first baby was born late evening at 39+5, and my second was born at 40+1. Both within 26 hours of their due dates!

Good luck :slight_smile:

My first arrived just on time on her due date. The babies after her all arrived early/premature.

My daughter was born two days before her due date, and I was also born two days before my mom’s due date.

My first baby was two days early, my second baby was on her due date because of induction due to pre-eclampsia.

The majority of my friends first babies were on due date or after, usually about a week past.

My little one (my first) was born 4 days early. However, I did hear somewhere that how early/late you are may be related to family history, and I, also a firstborn, was born about a week early.

I was induced both times, so early.

My son came 4 days early. Although I’ve heard that your first usually comes late so i was expecting him to come after his due date.