Discovery of adoption papers

My husband always knew he was adopted, but he didn’t know anything about his birth parents or his background. The other day, he was cleaning out his mother’s closet since she is unable to live in her house anymore. He found an old metal box with all the paperwork from his adoption in it. So many people were involved in my husband’s adoption from the time his birth mother was only four months pregnant: his birth mother and her family, his adopted parents and a friend of theirs, a lawyer, the doctor, a superintendent of a local school district, etc. I told my husband that a lot of people cared about him.
It was a private adoption, and my in-laws paid for my husband’s birth mother’s medical and hospital bills. The birth mother was named [name]Janice[/name] [name]Adele[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] and she was from Missoula, [name]Montana[/name]. We tried to find her on the Internet, but we are having no luck. [name]Janice[/name] wouldn’t reveal the name of my husband’s birth father, but he was also from Missoula.
I always wondered what my husband’s cultural background is. He is English, Irish, [name]German[/name], French, and Dutch. We always thought he had some Irish in him.
My husband put all the adoption papers in a notebook in a sequential order. It is fascinating to read through the notebook and see the process of his adoption.
When my husband was born, his name was [name]Baby[/name] Boy [name]Emerson[/name]. It took several months for him to be officially adopted although he was living with his adopted parents from the time he went home from the hospital. After several months, his name was offically [name]Kent[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] -----(plus his last name).
I thought you Berries would think this is an interesting story, and it does have to do with babies and names.

A very interesting story, [name]Susan[/name]. I actually have a relation (my father’s cousin - a second cousin?) who does not know she is adopted, although everyone else in the family does (it was years before her parents revealed it, though). I say everyone, but I was only told recently, as it isn’t really talked about, so my cousins might not know. She’s middle aged now, and I think it’s so sad that adoption was seen as something to be hidden. I often wonder if she’ll ever find out at all.

[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Auburn[/name], I recently met a lady at a party who was adopted. She told me that she searched for her birth mother and found her. She also found three sisters. Her mother was a very trashy person, and her sisters resented her because they had not known about her. The adopted lady said that it’s better not to know who your birth family is - the mystery is better than the truth.
The adopted lady lives in a very pretty apartment in a nice neighborhood. She cared for her ailing father in the apartment for many years until his death. I believe she also cared for her mother who died before her father died. Her adopted parents were fortunate to have had her. I would like to get to know her better.

[name]Kent[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] is such a handsome name! Very interesting story, [name]Susan[/name].

Thanks, [name]Rollo[/name], I love my husband’s name, too. Is [name]Kent[/name] a very common name in Australia? It isn’t so common here probably because of [name]Kent[/name] cigarettes. The [name]Kent[/name] brand emerged a couple of years after my husband was born.

The name [name]Kent[/name] is seldom heard here, in my generation there are bunch of Kens who were really [name]Kenneth[/name].

In Australia, names tend to be really different from [name]America[/name]. There are heaps of names from around the world but not many place names.

I think it’s hilarious that this is a beyond baby name thread and now we’re talking about names again! :lol: [name]Rollo[/name], I just love the name [name]Kenneth[/name]. It was my father’s name. I really love [name]Kent[/name], too.

[name]Susan[/name] – Very interesting story! [name]Kent[/name]'s adoptive parents sound like good people who certainly wanted him very much! I am another who finds [name]Kent[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] to be an incredibly handsome name! It must be fascinating for the two of you to be discovering this new information after all these years of the subject being a closed door.

[name]Do[/name] you have [name]Janice[/name]'s birth date? If [name]Kent[/name] is interested in doing so, it might make it possible to track her down using public records.

Thank you, Everwaiteing!
Yes, the adoption information is fascinating to our whole family. Thanks, yes I love the name [name]Kent[/name] [name]Andrew[/name], too.
[name]Kent[/name]'s birth mother [name]Janice[/name] was 17 when she had him so she was born in 1941. Wow, that was a long time ago! We tried finding her, but we can only find a website that says she graduated from Missoula High School.
I found a lady in [name]Montana[/name] named [name]Jan[/name] [name]Emerson[/name]. She looks so much like my husband and could be the right age. I emailed her, but she says that she isn’t the person that we’re looking for. I have a feeling that my husband looks like a lot of people since he is a combination of a lot of cultures that emigrated to [name]America[/name]. But he is extra cute.
[name]Kent[/name] isn’t that interested in finding his birth mother. If he knew who she was, he would want to meet her. But he’s a very private person, so it’s hard for him to get excited about finding someone he doesn’t know.
The rest of us are more enthusiastic about finding his birth family.

[name]Susan[/name], I sent a private message to you.

Thanks, Everwaiteing! I got your message, but I don’t know how to send a private message back to you. I will look into the info you sent me. [name]Burbank[/name] is very, very close to us now that we have moved. We moved into my mother-in-law’s house three months ago because she can’t live in it anymore. We sold our house. That’s one reason I’ve been so very busy that I have not been posting much on Nameberry all summer!