Dislike a name everyone seems to love?

[name]Imogen[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Scout[/name], and the strange obsession with nicknames people on naming boards have. Nicknames are NOT necessary or inevitable. Why is [name]Imogen[/name] so popular on naming boards? It’s harsh and ugly and doesn’t sound anything like a name!

ug, for me it’s all the ‘hip names’
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
Adysyn (no matter how you spell it!)
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Aleah[/name] (for some reason, I can’t stand it)
[name]Katniss[/name] (errg!)
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name] ([name]Isobel[/name], [name]Izabele[/name], any way at all!)
[name]Jennifer[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (I don’t know why, just no appeal)
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Adrien[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name] (don’t like this one)
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Alexandria[/name]

There are even more! wow, I really don’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just I really don’t see the appeal of any of these names!
Other names I really can’t stand are ones that aren’t historically derived, or take an unusual and made up spelling!
But honesty, I can’t judge (meh, look at my name! )
[name]Imogen[/name] is ok, because I like I names, and [name]Juniper[/name] is the name of my dog, so I’m partial ([name]Juniper[/name] is a pretty spunky name, but I don’t like it for a human being)

Fully agree. Not sure everyone loves it either, but it seems to be popping up a lot. I think it’s going to become very dated as a 2012-ish trend that won’t last too long, and it wasn’t even a pretty name to start with. [name]Just[/name] don’t get it. It also seems like it just takes the [name]Kat[/name] from [name]Katherine[/name] and then ruins it.

I saw [name]Isla[/name] before, and I totally agree. I’ve never heard any kid named [name]Isla[/name], and quite honestly I just think of island.

I have so many that I can’t stand that everyone else is in love with, I can’t list them all here. And it always seems as if whatever I love, everyone else hates (or at least deems outdated or uncool), and everything I hate, everyone else loves. But I can put in a few…

I agree about [name]Charlotte[/name]. I don’t think it’s very pretty at all. (I remember seeing a lot of my southern classmates spell it “[name]Charolette[/name]”, which is even worse!)

[name]Imogen[/name] and variations are patently ugly. It looks harsh, sounds harsh and is just…ugh.

I’m so sick and tired of [name]Abby[/name]. I’m always reading blurbs on the backs of books in stores, and it seems that every month, the latest crop of romance novels always, always, includes a heroine named [name]Abby[/name]. Enough already…somebody get out [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books! I’m also sick of [name]Ava[/name], which I’ve never really liked anyway.

I’ve always hated the name [name]Sarah[/name]…I don’t know why, I just do. Yet it’s popular and has been for years and years. I’m hoping [name]Aleah[/name], and all the spelling variations, will be just a passing fad…and I’m pretty sure [name]Katniss[/name] will be too. “[name]Kat[/name]”, I like (that’s my sister-in-law’s nickname), but the “niss” part…yuck. Wonder how many little Edwards and Bellas there are running around because of “Twilight”, too? [name]Edward[/name]'s a good classic name, but I don’t like [name]Bella[/name]…

Okay, I’ll stop now. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure I’ve answered this before but here goes.

For girls it’s [name]OLIVE[/name]. OMG. What a God-awful name. It sounds ugly, it looks ugly and the meaning - an ugly, little round…what? Is that a veggie? Anyway, it’s horrid.

I also strongly dislike [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Imogene[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name].

Boys: [name]Oscar[/name] is at the top of my list. Another incredibly ugly name. Then the entire [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Brayden[/name]/[name]Kaden[/name] trend.

[name]Aiden[/name]. I have just met sooooooo many kids with that name I am so tired of it.

Almost forgot - Everleigh. [name]Everly[/name] or [name]Everley[/name] is perfectly OK; I can deal with that. [name]Ever[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name] or [name]Ever[/name]-[name]Lee[/name] would be alright. Maybe Everlee. But EVERLEIGH… it just crawls and twists my stomach. And I like the name [name]Leigh[/name], so I can’t work out why I hate Everleigh. Maybe I find it overcomplicated…?

I personally can’t stand any of the “[name]Rose[/name]” names, i.e. [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name].

I love [name]Rose[/name], and I love the nn [name]Rosie[/name] even more, but I’ve never seen the appeal in the expanded versions! I honestly couldn’t tell you why, it’s just a strange quirk I have I guess :slight_smile:

The one that gets me the most is [name]Nora[/name]. For some reason I cannot stand this name, which is really strange considering I like/love [name]Cora[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Theodora[/name] and even [name]Zora[/name]. I just automatically think of gnaw-er, like a rodent or something, and then I think of a milkmaid (it know this doesn’t make any sense haha!)

I also can’t get behind [name]Clementine[/name]. I never hear it as a name, especially with the -tine pronunciation which seems much more popular than the -teen one. Oh, and [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Sophie[/name] is perfectly nice, but I just don’t see the appeal of [name]Sophia[/name]. I think I’ve known too many.

On the boys side, I can’t think of that many actually. [name]Leander[/name] springs to mind. It’s not that I hate it, I’m just surprised at how many people love it. Having said that I adore [name]Lysander[/name]! I often see [name]Edgar[/name] mentioned as ready for a comeback, but I just don’t see the appeal at all. It must be the -gar sound and the way the d and g clash, because I love [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Edison[/name] and [name]Edward[/name].

Having said all this, if I ever met a little [name]Nora[/name] or [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Leander[/name] or [name]Edgar[/name], I’d admire the parents for choosing an original name instead of than following the trends, rather than think that I personally don’t love the name. Not sure I’ve explained that brilliantly, but oh well. And obviously, no offence meant by anything :slight_smile:

I personally dont see the appeal of clementine imogen olive charlotte harper brooklyn(on a boy or a girl) and most place names. For boys I dont aiden jaden trend and thats about it

Many, but the first that come to mind are [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] (/[name]Evangelina[/name]).

A clementine is an orange and nothing else in my mind. Given to a person, it just feels hopelessly cutesy for the sake of cutesy.

[name]Annabelle[/name] feels excessively frilly and squashy. Same with [name]Evangeline[/name]/-a, which feels like a mouthful on top of the frilliness. I also dislike the ‘ange’ sound in general.

Yikes. My name is [name]Charlotte[/name] and I never liked it when I was little. As an adult I learned to love it. Now it is becoming popular for the first time in my life and I enjoy hearing moms calling their daughters [name]Charlotte[/name]. It reminds me when I was little. [name]Kinda[/name] bums me out that people on here are already sick of hearing it after just a year or two of it making a climb. I wonder what all of your names are and whether all the other Charlottes of the world are sick of your names too. Stay strong, Charlottes, they’re just jealous ;o)

It’s great that you love your name, [name]Charlotte[/name], but think about what you’re saying. I know some people are sick of my name, but I know it’s not personal - it’s just an opinion. I don’t automatically assume they’re jealous and get all defensive. Not much I can do about it, anyway. Think of a name you’re sick of hearing and try to look at it from the perspective of others.

(BTW, I have nothing against the name [name]Charlotte[/name].)

I agree! [name]Every[/name] time I see “[name]Lucy[/name] is a childish name, I struggle to imagine an adult [name]Lucy[/name]. I’d find it hard to take an adult [name]Lucy[/name] seriously” I feel like shouting “I’m here and I’m an adult [name]Lucy[/name]!”. [name]Just[/name] how it goes, some people like certain styles and others don’t. [name]Don[/name]'t take it personally :slight_smile:

[name]Hannah[/name] - it just has such a boring sound and it ranks second in my country, I have no idea what people see in it
[name]Lia[/name] - Top 20 I think, it doesn’t have edges, it doesn’t have any kind of character, I don’t like the sound
[name]Melina[/name] - okay, it might be okay for a 2,6 or 9 year old, but that’s where it stops. With 20 your just too old for this cutesy, sweet name, for a grown women it’s just not appealing.

I hear you. I’m an adult [name]Sophie[/name] and I hear a lot of little girls with my name, and I know a lot of people think it’s too popular now (in the UK, I think [name]Sophia[/name]'s more popular in the US but they’re very similar). I’ve seen comments where people think it’s not an adult name but I love my name and think it would suit anyone at any age. It’s not overly frilly or cutesy, but it’s not super grown up that it would sound weird on a baby either. [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are great names too, I think they both age brilliantly.

I’m not a fan of frilly flowery names at all which seem to be all the rage on here, if it’s got more than three syllables chances are it’ll be a nix from me (with the exception of the classic [name]Victoria[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]).

It’s usually about taste in names when people decide if it’s too youthful or not.

Sometimes I find people say [name]Amber[/name] is too youthful, but a lot of the time people say it’s “'80s”, “bimbo”, “trashy”, “in league with [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Crystal[/name]”. :frowning: It’s kind of frustrating since a) I was born in the 90s, b) I’m not a “bimbo”, nor am I “trash” and c) there’s nothing overtly wrong with the names [name]Tiffany[/name] or [name]Crystal[/name]. But like I said, there’s nothing I can do about it, since it’s just peoples’ opinions and they’re not saying it to deliberately upset anyone.

I really dislike the name [name]Abigail[/name]/[name]Abby[/name] for some reason. I haven’t really ever liked it, and I don’t expect I ever really will. I guess it’s because of its popularity, but that said I do love some popular names. [name]Abigail[/name] is just a name that I can’t ever get behind.

Also, names like [name]Edna[/name] or [name]Daphne[/name]. I just don’t see these as names that would fit a baby; I can only picture old ladies when I hear these names.

If you’re called this then I apologise if I offended you, I was just stating my opinions.

A few off the top of my head:

[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Kenzie[/name] ([name]Kensington[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name] etc)
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]/[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]