Djuna and Vita and Edwina and Cora

I’m 10 weeks pregnant and I know after my previous pregnancies it’s a good time to prepare some serious lists to have time enough to discuss and argue and agree and discuss again. There are some names we talk over lately. Please share your opinion about them! Dropping new names similar in style, feeling or just loved by you is really welcomed of course. I know it seems to be just a random mix of names, but it’s what results from my name research, my DH’s retro names loving and his complete unwillingness to talk about the names (when he drinks his evening beer I come with a list and he answers ‘yes, I like it’ or ‘no, it’s awful’. Sometimes). I bank on you;)!

I know a kindergarten-aged [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] in the USA. It wears well and it’s a great name. Enough intelligentsia/high brow types here in the US know about [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] [name_m]Barnes[/name_m] though to provoke a positive reaction most of the time from the sort of people [name_f]Djuna[/name_f]'s parents hang out with (academics, artists, alt tech types). I don’t know how the name would read in the UK. Is [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] [name_m]Barnes[/name_m] popular there, or would the name seem “made up”?

Out of the four you listed, [name_f]Vita[/name_f] feels the most in tune with [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] in terms of style. I like how none of the first letters are repeated, and [name_f]Vita[/name_f] feels more modern/post 1920s (like [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]) than [name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], which read as very Victorian and almost frilly to me, or else as very folksy. [name_f]Vita[/name_f] immediately makes me think of [name_f]Vita[/name_f] Sackville-[name_u]West[/name_u].

Depending on how it sounds with your surname, I’d settle on [name_f]Vita[/name_f] as the front runner in terms of style. Are you certain it’s a girl?

Not particularly fond of [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] or [name_f]Vita[/name_f], but they seem like perfectly fine names all the same.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is cute, and I like it. I like [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] when pronounced “EH-dwinn-uh,” but not when pronounce “eh-DWEEN-uh.” Very funky and cool.

Hmm, similar to [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] or [name_f]Vita[/name_f]: [name_f]Junia[/name_f], [name_f]Roxana[/name_f], [name_f]Thalia[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Daria[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Djuna[/name_f], it’s very pretty and clunky like [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]. [name_f]Edwina[/name_f]'s my favourite though, it’s so cute and happy! [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is too boring, and [name_f]Vita[/name_f] sounds like a vitamin brand.

[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_u]Alva[/name_u]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Freda[/name_f]/[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Freja[/name_f]
Lerke/Lærke
[name_f]Liva[/name_f]
[name_f]Malou[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]/[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ulla[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

@rosierose - no, we’re not certain. It’s just my guts telling me I;m having another girl

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Djuna[/name_f] with [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], so much flapper-girl cool. It’s amazing! Also like [name_f]Vita[/name_f] and am neutral on [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] feels a little too safe perhaps.

All the best of luck!