Do any of these belong on my list?

See the results of this poll: Which would you add?

Respondents: 90 (This poll is closed)

• Beatrix : 54 (20%)
  • Clover : 22 (8%)
  • Fern : 36 (13%)
  • Gwen : 37 (14%)
  • Mabli : 10 (4%)
  • Paloma : 36 (13%)
  • Pepper : 11 (4%)
  • Sol : 10 (4%)
  • Sunday : 21 (8%)
  • Xanthe: 34 (13%)

Ooh! Definitely [name_f]Fern[/name_f] heart eyes

I also think [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f] fit really well.

[name_m]How[/name_m] is [name_f]Fern[/name_f] not on your list? It’s perfect with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and your other favorites.

@wandsworth I know, I love it! The issue is the surname, which is not dissimilar to Greenhouse. It makes me shy away from botanical names generally, but maybe that’s unnecessary — what do you think?

My personal favourite from this list is [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] but [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f] & [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] got my votes to fit stylistically with the names on your short list.

I ticked them all (except [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], which seem a bit too much alongside the others). I personally adore Mabli, [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but I think either [name_f]Fern[/name_f] or [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] would be the best fit as a sibling to [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] - short, spunky and full of character.

Is your surname actually Greenhouse, or just something similar? Because [name_f]Fern[/name_f] Greenhouse would sound a bit like a section of a plant nursery. But that might not be as much of a problem as all that - I had a friend at school whose full name sounded like two common diseases strung together, and I don’t remember anyone ever remarking on it. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] Greenhouse is pleasantly evocative of the garden, which is a positive thing.

@kew Thanks for the response. The surname is not actually Greenhouse, but certainly something to that effect! I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f] (and [name_f]Flora[/name_f], and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], and all the other botanical names I love) are probably out, sadly. I wouldn’t want my child’s name to sound comical, even in a sweet way. Sigh.

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] are what I picked. I must’ve skimmed past [name_f]Fern[/name_f] completely because I would’ve added her to it too.

I voted for [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_m]Sol[/name_m], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] and Mabli, and I particularly love [name_m]Sol[/name_m]. All four fit pretty perfectly with [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f].

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], and [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] were my picks, on the basis that they (stylistically) paired up most naturally with the four names on the shortlist already.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] seem like cheery, quirky traditionals particularly grounded by their association with beloved writers for kids; [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] with the sweet simplicity of [name_f]Nell[/name_f] (and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]); [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] with [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] for sound, rhythm, and Iberian flair (and more broadly with [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], as more European and less Anglophone names).

I am in the minority here, but I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] sounds off with spunky [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. However, [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] would be absolutely darling, and I think [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] could stand on its own as a full name. I also think [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] would be very well matched with your other children, although I personally prefer [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]. In fact, I think I like [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] slightly better than any of your favorites, although [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is also nice.

Thanks all for the additional input! At this point I’m definitely adding some of these to the list :slight_smile: