Do Eve and Jude sound religious to you?

Are the names [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] religious sounding to you? On their own? As a sibset? For reference, we are not religious and do not want names that sound overly connected to a religion. Wondering if you feel like they’ve grown into their own as names, or if they still feel totally linked to their origins. Thanks!

1 Like

On their own, no. Together, yes. They’re both such hearty classics, too!

10 Likes

No. Neither individually or together.

Not really. I would assume maybe that the family is of Jewish culture or religion, if you told me that there is a religious association, but usually no.

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] are ones for me where I know they’re Biblical but I wouldn’t assume someone who used them was very religious, if that makes sense. They hit all the cool, modern vibes and feel more versatile?

(for what it’s worth, both me and my brother have biblical/religious names, in a similar vibe to [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and no one ever assumes)

7 Likes

No, you’re fine. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I both have biblical names and our parents are atheists. Biblical names are public domain.

1 Like

Biblical names are very popular and in my experience, no one would assume they had these names because the family are religious.

No, I think those two have enough familiarity outside the biblical context that they don’t seem immediately religious. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], yeah, but [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is totally timeless and my main association for [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is the Beatles!

1 Like

It depends what you mean. I can’t disconnect my association with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] from the [name_u]Genesis[/name_u] narrative. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] my first association is [name_u]Jude[/name_u] [name_m]Law[/name_m], and then the book of [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and St. Jude’s ice cream so that feels less associated to religion, but together they are both names that feature in the bible and are both anglicised Hebrew names so they do give a biblical vibe. But I wouldn’t necessarily assume you were going for that with these two names as they are both pretty on trend right now.

Not to me.

Together they do

I highly doubt a Jewish family would name their kid [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. That is the [name_m]German[/name_m] word for Jew & during the Holocaust, Jews were forced to wear Yellow stars of [name_u]David[/name_u] with “Jude” on it.

4 Likes

Individually no. Paired together yes

Not individually, especially not [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. Together it seems more religious. I really don’t think it’s a problem, but if it bothers you, you could go with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] instead.

Individually — [name_f]Eve[/name_f], no; [name_u]Jude[/name_u], yes. Together, yes. I wouldn’t assume that their family was religious, but I would definitely expect them to have had the religious connection in mind :slight_smile:

This.

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] a little; [name_u]Jude[/name_u] no

Eve and Jude don’t feel specifically religious to me, paired or otherwise. They’re both quite popular and classic sounding names. Eve and Judah in the other hand might feel a bit more religious.

I see your point, but I’m not sure that all Jewish people necessarily share this sentiment. There’s kid at our synagogue called Jude and nobody has batted an eyelid as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

No

Not really, no.