Do I continue the pattern? Adeline...Dinah??

I really like the name [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. I like a lot of other “A” names too. My problem is that my husband and I unintentionally made a pattern of letters with the beginning letters of our names. My husbands name starts with a J, my name starts with an A, then our first son’s name starts with a D, then our daughter J, then our son A! We did not even think about the fact that our names go JADJA!!

Because of this I have promised myself not to use any J or A names for our next child. However, I can’t stop thinking of [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. I just really like that name. I don’t want my “D” son to feel left out. What if I used a D nickname, like [name_f]Dinah[/name_f]? I can’t use [name_f]Della[/name_f], or [name_m]Deli[/name_m] because my son’s name is [name_m]Delmer[/name_m] and we call him [name_u]Del[/name_u]. What do you think? My son does have the same middle name as my husband, so it isn’t like he is completely out of the family connection loop. Thoughts?

Use the name you love, I doubt your son will care. My sisters both had J names (I didn’t) and I thought nothing of it.

You can ask your son how he feels (if he’s old enough to understand) but I really don’t think it’s a big deal.

I think [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is adorable, and is perfect with [name_m]Delmer[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], and [name_u]June[/name_u]! I didn’t “see” [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] at first, but now I totally do, and I think it seems like a perfect option with your family. I wonder if your kids wouldn’t even notice? They’ll just think of themselves as [name_m]Delmer[/name_m], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], no? I mean, when I think of my family, I think of us as [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] (plus mom and dad), not [name_m]John[/name_m] (II), [name_f]Karen[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m] (III), [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. I mean, we don’t have that initials thing, but I think of myself being a part of a group of siblings where names are concerned, and by that rule, [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_m]Delmer[/name_m] are both outliers from [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. I would think it’s fine. Plus, you have the “D” nn to tie into [name_m]Delmer[/name_m]'s name (plus they share that “del” sound!).

Good luck!

I love [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], I’d say go for it, it sounds wonderful as a sister to [name_u]June[/name_u]! My parents and I all have names that start with S while my brother’s name starts with a T but it’s never been a big deal for us. I’ve heard plenty of people say not to name your kid with matching first and middle initials but that’s my favourite part about my name. What I’m trying to say is looking from the outside in you can’t quite understand, yes there’s always a chance your son will feel left out but more than likely he won’t care. I also know a family like zpk’s who have two daughters with J names and one without, many people like to follow a pattern but plenty of others choose the names they love and don’t worry about the little things that may or may not get brought up over time.

Best of luck

Shaelynn

At first I didn’t notice the pattern because I never thought of us parents when naming our kids, so maybe you are right! I mean I knew that some of our initials were the same, but I didn’t think anything of it until I realized it was in a pattern haha. Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement. There are so many lovely A names and it would be nice if I didn’t have to limit my options :slight_smile: I am glad you like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] with her sibling names too :slight_smile:

Thank you for your insight! :slight_smile: I really don’t think he would feel left out, I mean, he is pretty proud of his name (named after great grandpa). I think I feel more left out for him. haha. I am feeling better about possibly using another A name, so thank you for helping with this issue :slight_smile:

[name_m]Delmer[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] make a great sibset. They all feel modern and current but historical too, not flash-in-the-pan names that have recently appeared out of nowhere. I don’t think [name_m]Delmer[/name_m] would feel left out not sharing an initial with anyone in your family- as you said he shares names with his dad and great grandpa, which is just as special! And [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is a lovely name :slight_smile: I’m not a fan of [name_f]Dinah[/name_f] myself but it would be a clever and unique nickname that stands out.

If you want to stick to D, what about something like [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] or [name_f]Diana[/name_f]? Or possibly [name_f]Delphina[/name_f] (even with the [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] Lestrange and Voldemort relation)?

Some D names you might like are:
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]

Thank you so much for your thoughts! hmmm, I keep liking it even more. Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

Well, if the first name starting with D you are going for is [name_f]Dinah[/name_f], I would strongly recommend [name_f]Adeline[/name_f].

I think you should use [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] since you love it.

Please don’t stress yourself out over initials! I think it is a really loose connection and I even had to read your post a few times to see the pattern. I don’t think it is enough to avoid using a name you like. I really don’t think it is anything anyone would pick up on other than you.

Good luck!

Oh ~I am thrilled to see the name , [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], again. When I was a kid, I was reading a series of novels , and one of the main characters was named exactly [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. I loved that name so much. It really is a beautiful , romantic name. I say, your son will probably not feel left out , but rather preciously singular with his outstanding, fine D-name… if he will think of it at all.
[name_f]Happy[/name_f] Naming <3

I really don’t think that there would be a problem at all if you used [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. It’s easy when you’re within a family to overthink the stuation, but as another post has already said, I don’t consider my parent’s names when I think about initial patterns, they were just always mum and dad to me. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is a beautiful name and works so well with your other childrens’ names, it would be such a shame if you didn’t use it or covered it up with an irrelevant nickname because of something as minor as a small initial pattern within the family.
Good luck making your decision!

:smiley: Thank you for the positive vibes

Thank you very much for your insight, it is greatly appreciated :smiley:

Nobody has time to go around analyzing your name letters so I would just go for what I loved.

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is SO BEAUTIFUL and goes PERFECTLY with your other Children’s Names! Several years after our Second Living Daughter was born we realised that she shares the same initials, only in a different order, with BOTH my Husband and me, whereas our Older Daughter only shares an S with me and her [name_f]Sister[/name_f]! We were quite worried as it was completely unintentional but our Older Daughter is VERY sensitive and easily feels “different”. When I discussed it with her she said that she likes having her own initials and is totally secure in her being a part of our Family! So I think you are right not to worry and follow your heart! :slight_smile: Would you have [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_u]Bliss[/name_u] or [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]?