Do I need to...

As you all know, I’m due with my third baby girl in early [name]November[/name]. We had pretty much decided on either [name]Leah[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Tess[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Mary[/name] (a neighbor just named their puppy [name]Lila[/name] so we thought [name]Lilah[/name], though we like it, may be weird… I don’t know, should that stop me from using it?) But that’s not really the question haha
My best friend from college just had her second child yesterday, which was two weeks earlier than her due date. [name]Even[/name] with her first baby, she NEVER talked about names with anyone cause she didn’t want people to take them, change her mind about them, etc. So anyway, she just named her baby girl [name]Violet[/name] [name]Jessa[/name] – so after me. When she told me, she said the whole “you’re my best friend in the world and I wanted my first daughter named after you.” Well I already have 2 daughters not named after her haha, but now I feel like I should name this baby partly after her. It’s not that I don’t want to obviously, I love her, but her name is [name]Megan[/name], which I don’t really like. But she did a variation of my name, [name]Jessica[/name], so maybe I could do the same?

I don’t know. Sorry for the long post. The question is, should I have some sort of tribute to her in this baby’s name? [name]How[/name]??

No, I don’t think so, she would not expect you to change the name you have chosen for your baby especially as you had no idea that she was going to choose your name for her baby.

I am sure that she will always wish to be your friend, that she feels that she has a special bond with you and that is the important thing.

If you are going to have a godmother then choose her so that she has an ‘official’ role in your daughter’s life.

Best wishes to you both and just let her know that you love her and that you are looking forward to [name]Megan[/name] sharing a special bond with your daughter, and I am sure it will occur.

I know that is how I feel way about my goddaughter and her mother has been a lifelong friend to me.

I don’t think you need to if a name doesn’t feel right to you.

[name]Megan[/name] is the Welsh diminutive of [name]Margaret[/name] so you could use any form of [name]Margaret[/name] as a way of honouring her.

[name]May[/name] – this is a diminutive of both [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] so you could use [name]Tess[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]May[/name].
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name] – [name]Megan[/name]/[name]Margaret[/name] means pearl
[name]Polly[/name]
[name]Mairead[/name]
Mererid
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Magali[/name]
[name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
Merit
[name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Gretta[/name]
[name]Mared[/name]
[name]Maret[/name]
Merette

You don’t have to at all - names are so personal. SHE feels that the way she wants to name HER baby is by using names of people she feels close to. That is just one of many ways to name a baby - and obviously not your way, as she already knows, not with your older children and not with your newest. It would be different if you were naming your children after people close to you also, but just not naming them after her (to the contrary you are naming your child after a neighbor’s puppy - just kidding :slight_smile: )
My point is, not naming your baby for her has nothing to do with not honoring her role in your and your baby’s life; it just means you have a different method for determining your child’s name. If anything, she might be insulted if you name your baby after her now - it might feel like you’re stealing her baby-naming style!
Enjoy the honor she has given you with her child’s name and find other ways to make her feel connected to your children (I’m sure you already have) and then go back to figuring out your child’s name in your own style.
[name]Lilah[/name] is very beautiful, by the way!

Ultimately it is absolutely your choice, and you shouldn’t feel pressured into naming your child something you don’t want to (plus, I love the other names you have picked out). As you have already not named two daughters after her, she probably doesn’t really expect it …

If you don’t want to use her name, I like the suggestion of making her the godmother (I believe there is some sort of equivalent in a few faiths, and I think I’ve heard people name ‘godparents’ unofficially, if they aren’t religious, at a welcome home from the hospital party or naming ceremony etc.).

[name]Elea[/name], I think it was, mentioned lots of good variations, and you could use anything related to [name]Margaret[/name].

There’s also [name]Peggy[/name] and [name]Perle[/name]/Perele (means ‘pearl’ in Yiddish) which are related. You could probably use any Me__ name and say it is after her, too. I like [name]Melia[/name], who was a nymph in Greek mythology and which means ‘honey tree’. Also :
[name]Meave[/name] (rare variant of [name]Maeve[/name])
[name]Melantha[/name]
Melesina.

As [name]Megan[/name] means pearl, you could perhaps just use [name]Pearl[/name], too. [name]Lulu[/name] means pearl in Arabic, as does [name]Jumana[/name], and Helmi means pearl in Finnish (so you could perhaps use [name]Wilhelmina[/name] …).

Does she have a more attractive mn?

Good luck!

I don’t think you need to or should feel any pressure that you have to. Names are personal, sentimental, full of meaning, an extension of our selves, traditional ect. and sometimes just because. A name is a gift you give your child for the rest of their life. It should be something that you really want.
By the way I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Leah[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Kate[/name]! Very pretty :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone so much. [name]Megan[/name] is already the godmother to my daughter [name]Clare[/name], and I know she will be a huge part of [name]Leah[/name]/[name]Tess[/name]'s life no matter what. You all made great points! Thanks again.

Now to decide between [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]… :wink: haha

I really love [name]Tess[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Mary[/name] and no, I don’t think you should feel pressured to name your daughter something you don’t 100% like although have to admit I think [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Megan[/name] would be so cute but definitely go with the name that you love …good luck:)