Do I still love "Georgia"?

So don’t kill me, I have posted on here a few times, and we had decided to name our baby girl [name]Georgia[/name] (after husband’s grandfather [name]George[/name] and b/c we like the classic but unusual feel). One of the other names on our list was [name]Sailor[/name] (which it seemed everyone here hated). I still loved it, but I had gotten past it after convincing myself it was too strange, etc., etc.

Then last week I met a little girl named [name]Saylor[/name], and it totally brought back my love for the name! It was such a coincidence. The couple even have a son named [name]Brody[/name], which is what my husband had picked for a boy name! What would you do if you were afraid you would always regret not using a name you love?! I still think [name]Georgia[/name] is the most sensible, but I can’t help loving [name]Sailor[/name]! Give me honest opinons, I know most of you don’t like it at all, but what should I do?

Also what about using it as a middle? Last name is White.

Thanks!

I guess what I would tell myself is that no matter how much you love the name, you’re not the one who’s going to have to live with it; you’re not going to have to write it on a resume, or introduce yourself to your classmates. It won’t be your name, it’ll be your kid’s. I like [name]Georgia[/name] a lot, if it helps, and you could always call her ‘[name]Sailor[/name]’ as a family nickname…lol, my grandpa has called me “[name]Stormy[/name]” my whole life, it’s like a second name to me, even though my actual name is nothing close to [name]Stormy[/name]. So you could have it both ways.

Good luck!

Aw, if you love it, use it, or you will regret it. I wouldn’t choose something ‘safe’ just because you feel you should. I chose a name for my daughter 5 years ago that was not really smiled upon by many. I just used it anyway because I loved it regardless. Now it turns out it’s one of the most beloved names on nameberry. So sometimes things are surprising. You could at least use [name]Sailor[/name] as a mn and then start calling her that full time if you just can’t resist:)

I prefer [name]Georgia[/name] but if you love [name]Sailor[/name] more than go for it. If you’re not convinced you could name her [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] or [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Georgia[/name].

If you feel that strongly about it, then I think you should use it. You don’t want any regrets! My personal opinion is that it would be better in the middle spot. [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] is very pretty and it does go with your last name. You could still call her [name]Sailor[/name]–lots of people go by their middle names.

I agree with Lightinaugust. I would hate going through life having to introduce myself as [name]Sailor[/name]-- I think it would take a certain kind of person to pull that off. You may love it, but it doesn’t mean your daughter will. [name]Georgia[/name] is great, and like you said, the more sensible choice. You can always call her [name]Sailor[/name] as a family nickname, or even use it as a middle name.

I know a [name]Sailor[/name], she’s 12, and she pulls off her name just fine. If you love a name, go for it. I personally think [name]Georgia[/name] is prettier, but you don’t want to regret using a name you love. But like the others suggested, [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] has a nice ring to it and she could use either name, and so could you. It’s the best of both worlds!

Hmmmm, this is difficult! I can say that i have had a soft spot for [name]Sailor[/name] since i was a little girl. Why? nI have no idea, but when i pull name lists from when i was 8, 9-ish [name]Sailor[/name] is right there next to Mouse and [name]Kina[/name] (yea i have no idea). While i think [name]Georgia[/name] is a very pretty name, i do think you will always regret not using a name you are cleary so found of. I know your pain about all of a sudden having an old favorite jump in, and i think it happens for a reason. However i will say [name]Sailor[/name] is well alittle out there. I think the most sensible choice, would be [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] (i dont know what middle name you had picked out but you could always do two middle names), and call her [name]Sailor[/name], that way she can have a name you love, and that mor ethen likey she will love, but if she doesnt she has a name to fall back on. I think that is the best option :slight_smile: Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I honestly dont think [name]Sailor[/name] is that strange. What about [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name]? If you use [name]Sailor[/name] as a mn she would still have the option to go by it if she liked it. It would also allow you to test out the name irl and see what peoples reactions are too it. If it turns out [name]Sailor[/name] doesnt fit her or you get a really bad reaction from others then you can switch back to the fn [name]Georgia[/name].

I agree with villette, use them both! I prefer [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] (I like the [name]Saylor[/name] spelling better) and call her [name]Sailor[/name] if you want. That way you still get to honor the grandpa, call her something cute when she’s little and she can write a more formal name on her resume.

Well, i think you should just go with [name]Sailor[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name, although im maybe the only one here :stuck_out_tongue:

As for someone that said, that she’d hate it if her name was [name]Sailor[/name]. I think if you have always been [name]Sailor[/name], you dont know any better. I personally would not like to be called [name]Georgia[/name] all the name. But yeah.

You can always name her [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] like others said. Some said, she could go by [name]Sailor[/name] if its her middle name, so why not the other way around? She can go by her middle name [name]Georgia[/name] if she doesnt like [name]Sailor[/name].

Whatever you choose, i wish you good luck!

This is advice that used to be given a lot around hearer but I haven’t heard lately: take them both for a test drive! Try introducing yourself to people as [name]Sailor[/name] and as [name]Georgia[/name] (not people you’ll be keeping in touch with obviously!). See how people react to each name, if you like the reactions you get when you say your name is [name]Sailor[/name], then by all means I think you should use it! If you get lots of really awkward looks or rude comments (which I seriously doubt), go with [name]Georgia[/name].

I personally do not think [name]Sailor[/name] is too out there. It sounds just like [name]Taylor[/name] but is a million times cuter! And its not really all that uncommon, is it? I feel like I’ve been hearing about girls name [name]Sailor[/name] for years. I really don’t think [name]Sailor[/name] would be a difficult name to live with at all. Gosh! [name]Imagine[/name] when she’s an adult and she turns in resumes with a correctly spelled name! That, and the fact that her name doesn’t sound exactly like all the other popular names will be so refreshing, I would think! I mean: [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Kiley[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Miley[/name], [name]Caden[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]SAILOR[/name]! Lol, ok maybe that’s an exaggeration, but honestly I don’t think [name]Sailor[/name] is one of those crazy names that’s going to ruin a kids life!

If you name her [name]Georgia[/name] and you want to name her [name]Sailor[/name], you will most definitely regret it!

[name]Hi[/name] there! I know this has been said, but you should go with your heart. If you will regret naming your daughter [name]Georgia[/name], it’s something you will have to live with forever. Also, I love [name]Lyndsay[/name]'s advice of test driving both names! I also don’t think [name]Sailor[/name] is too unusual (but I tend to like out-there types of names). I checked the stats and last year 83 girls were named [name]Sailor[/name] and 191 were named [name]Saylor[/name], totaling 274 girls named [name]Sailor[/name]/[name]Saylor[/name], which makes it about as popular as [name]Esperanza[/name] or [name]Thalia[/name] and puts it around 966 on the charts. That’s still pretty uncommon but it’s not at all unheard of. [name]Georgia[/name] is more common, in the 300s, but not extremely popular. [name]Both[/name] are great choices, I just think you have to decide which name fits your child and family more.

While I don’t think [name]Sailor[/name] is too “out there” (at least not as much as some other names), I would still caution you against it. Think about her when she goes to college – Drunken [name]Sailor[/name], anyone? She “curses like a [name]Sailor[/name]”? Not for nothing, sailors don’t have the best reputation (my grandfather was in the [name]Navy[/name], so I’ve heard the stories). If you’re set on using it, I would at least spell it as [name]Saylor[/name] – then, people would associate it more with the name [name]Taylor[/name] rather than midshipman, and it may lessen any bad associations.

Thanks for all of the varying comments! =) I think [name]Sailor[/name] is one of those names you either love or hate. I’ve still got about 12 weeks to think it over, so I’m going to try not to stress over it. My husband also loves both names. He served in the US [name]Navy[/name], so [name]Sailor[/name] would honor his service as well. Like another post said, I don’t think my daughter would necessarily hate being called [name]Sailor[/name] b/c she would be so accustomed to the name. And both names would be pretty unique, which is what I like. I feel like I can’t really go wrong with either name now, and [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name] might actually be it. That way when she is old enough, she can choose either name. Thanks again!

I love the name [name]Georgia[/name]…but also think [name]Sailor[/name] is cute. I love the suggestions of [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Sailor[/name]…then your daughter can decide when she is older if she wants to go by her first or middle name. good luck~