Do I use my #2 name for my #1? What if my second child is a boy!?

I’m not pregnant but it has been decided that our first boy will be named [name]Nathan[/name], after my DH’s grandfather. His grandfather was [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emil[/name] D**by, who went by [name]Ned[/name]. We would like to continue the tradition, but the problem is the middle name. [name]Emil[/name] is out of the question for us. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Everett[/name] and would use it, but I want to use it for a first name for another boy. And if we have another boy, it doesn’t make sense to have [name]Everett[/name] for a middle name and first name for another. But then again, what if we only have one boy! If I don’t use it for “[name]Nathan[/name]” and we only have girls after I know I would regret it. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I crazy?! [name]Do[/name] you use my top names as middle names?

I have run into the same problem, but more for my girls names I think. It can be so hard naming children!! [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Everett[/name] sounds so good, though, in your case I might just use it in the middle spot. That is just a great combo and if you only had girls after that, it would be sad if you didn’t use [name]Everett[/name] at all. [name]Do[/name] you have any other names besides [name]Nathan[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] that you really like that you would be happy using? If you do, I would go for [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Everett[/name] first time around! Maybe you will have twin boys! :slight_smile:

I think this way all the time. We have a tradition of first born sons having one set of initials, but as we may only have one child if our first born is a girl I may just want to use those initials on her, and then if we have a boy after I think we’d have two kids with the same initials, sigh, I don’t know : D!

You could hold onto [name]Everett[/name] and go with [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Elliott[/name]? Or [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emmett[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Evan[/name] or [name]Evelyn[/name] for future children if you use [name]Everett[/name]?

I think by the time the big day is here you’ll know what you want to do.

This is a good question. Is your husband on board with [name]Everett[/name] for hypothetical boy #2? I talked my husband into using my favorite name, [name]Noemi[/name], for our first daughter’s middle name since he wasn’t sure about using it as a first name. I decided I felt better knowing it would be used for sure, instead of saving it for a chance at a second girl.

You say you know you will regret it if you don’t use it for [name]Nathan[/name]. That sounds like your answer to me. If you do have another boy, it may not be for a handful of years, and by then your taste may change slightly or you may come upon another name you really love and are excited to use. I just make sure to use my daughter’s full name often enough so I can enjoy hearing [name]Noemi[/name].

I have that problem with my girls. I never know if I’m going to have another girl so I make sure I love [name]BOTH[/name] names. [name]Even[/name] my middle names are names I would happily have used as the first name position. My eldest daughter is [name]Ava[/name] [name]Dulcea[/name]. I did not have her name figured out until after she was born. I had a 3 name shortlist of [name]Ava[/name] [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Dulcea[/name]. I really loved [name]Dulcea[/name] but couldn’t think of a middle name so I used it in the middle position. My second daughter is [name]Mia[/name] [name]Isobel[/name]. It was pretty easy. Now I’m pregnant again, and briefly entertain the idea of using [name]Bella[/name] if it’s a girl, but since I used [name]Isobel[/name] it’s probably not happening.

It’s sort of damned if you do or damned if you don’t. But if I were in your position I would use [name]Everett[/name] in the middle position just to be sure it’s used. I would rather use it that way than risk not using it at all! However, you may want to pour through boy names to see if there’s another name that captures your heart to make you feel better about using [name]Everett[/name].

Thanks for all the input!!
I like [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Everett[/name] the best. Unfortunately my DH isn’t the biggest fan of [name]Everett[/name] for a first name. He associates the name with a friend’s dad who was a drunk! My response to him was “THAT WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO!!”
In my defense, [name]Nathan[/name] has NEVER been on my list. It has grown on me though. Since it is the name of my DH’s late grandpa, who he was VERY close with. The deal was we would name our first son with the initials N.E.D. My options for names that start with N were:

[name]Nathan[/name]- It has always reminded me of a whiny kid I knew, and it’s in the top 100 (I don’t want a VERY popular name for my kids.)
[name]Nolan[/name]- I like it. I don’t love it. And I feel like its going to be too popular by the time I actually have a boy.
[name]Nevin[/name]- I like that it’s like [name]Devin[/name], but I feel like its a fresher version.
[name]Niall[/name]- I’m not sure if I like the “[name]Nile[/name]” pronunciation or the “[name]Neal[/name]” one. But I’m not that in love with it. My DH wouldn’t like it.
[name]Niles[/name]- Does it still have the Fraiser association? I love the name [name]Miles[/name] and this is very simular.
[name]Noah[/name]- it’s too high on the popular list for me.

So [name]Nathan[/name] won the place of the N… and I’m kind of feeling like since I’ve compromised on the name [name]Nathan[/name], he can compromise on the name [name]Everett[/name]. (He just needs to hear me say it 5 million times!)

Since [name]Everett[/name], at this moment, won’t be [name]Nathan[/name]'s middle name. Here are the possibilities:

1. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emmett[/name]- probably my favorite, cause its so simular to [name]Everett[/name].
  2. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Elliott[/name]- I like it, [name]Elliott[/name] is a great middle name.
  3. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Eli[/name]- My DH probably won’t like it.
  4. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Evan[/name]- We both like [name]Evan[/name], but it doesn’t sound good with [name]Nathan[/name].
  5. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Ellis[/name]- I like it… that’s it.
  6. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emery[/name]- I like this too.
  7. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emerson[/name]- same as [name]Emery[/name].
  8. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Ever[/name]- I like this as a nn to [name]Everett[/name].
  9. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Everly[/name]- It’s cute… maybe for a girl?
  10. [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Edward[/name]- [name]Edward[/name] is my father’s mn but he never liked it.

Can you please help me pick out an E middle name? THANKS!

I love [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]!

Wait, so, hubby doesn’t like [name]Everett[/name]… is he even on board with it as a mn? If he is, I say go for it. Now’s your chance, since it doesn’t sound like it’ll fly with him as a first name in the future. And this is a great way to compromise for [name]Nathan[/name], since you’re not all that crazy about the name. At least you’d love his middle.

He’s not on board with [name]Everett[/name] as a first name, as of now… :wink: He likes it for a middle name for [name]Nathan[/name] though. I guess I’m just crossing my fingers [name]Everett[/name] will grow on him, just as [name]Nathan[/name] has grown on me!

[name]Nathan[/name] [name]Elliott[/name] does sound good to me… :slight_smile:

I had a similar situation with my girl name choices. I decided to go with my 1st and 3rd choice names and save my 2nd just in case. [name]Even[/name] if they never knew, I’d always feel like I’d given all the “good” names to the first born and stuck the second with leftovers. Now that I know my baby’s a boy, that’s a whole other situation, and it seems a lot less likely that I’ll also wind up with two daughters. Depending on my age and situation by the time I have a daughter (if I ever have one) I may very well go ahead and use both my favorites.

Maybe add [name]Everest[/name] to your middle name list? Maybe it could be a bridge between your love of [name]Everett[/name] and the association of Mt. [name]Everest[/name], tallest mountain? Maybe your husband would spring for that association?

Perhaps add [name]Emmett[/name] to your mn list, it’s close to [name]Everett[/name] and really cute also, good luck :slight_smile:

I would go with [name]Niles[/name] [name]Everett[/name]. Very handsome!

I like [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Elliott[/name]! We are considering [name]Nathan[/name] as well for our #3…It’s growing on me, not my first choice, but a rare one we can agree on :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I say go for it, because you don’t want to regret not using the name later if you only have girls. And if you have another boy then you get to pick another TWO great names! :).