Do origin of first and last name need to "match"??

Due any day. Question: is it odd to give your child an irish name when your surname is very german (two-syllable)? We have looked for german names that flow better, but can’t find any we really like. Any suggestions? We like the name [name]Finn[/name], but want something longer with [name]Finn[/name] as nn. Thus, the Irish name [name]Finnian[/name] (or [name]Finian[/name])…just worried this will sound odd.

[name]How[/name] [name]German[/name]? Are we talking “[name]Von[/name] Trapp” [name]German[/name]? (I’ll use it to experiment…) [name]Finn[/name] [name]Von[/name] Trapp. [name]Finnian[/name] [name]Von[/name] Trapp. Hmm…

I personally wouldn’t do it, but I don’t think it’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. I would opt for something like [name]Phineas[/name] [name]Von[/name] Trapp, which still gives you Phinn/[name]Finn[/name].

What about [name]Phineas[/name]?

It doesn’t bother me any! :slight_smile:
I think if you like [name]Finnian[/name] its best to go with that name, rather than a “mediocre” name. I bet the more you hear [name]Finian[/name] “[name]Von[/name] Trapp” (i’m going to go with it :slight_smile: ) the more it’ll grow on you, and the less you’ll hear the culture clash.

i think it’s fine!

I think [name]Finnian[/name] “[name]Von[/name] Trapp” is fine, though I like [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Phineas[/name]. If you like [name]Phineas[/name], I think that flows better, and like [name]Jill[/name] said, you still get your [name]Finn[/name] as a nn (super cute, btw!). However, if [name]Phineas[/name] or any other [name]Finn[/name]- names you find don’t work for you, definitely use [name]Finnian[/name]! You should choose a name that you love, even if it doesn’t flow in a conventional way.

Good luck!

Since the British love to combine exotic first names with British last names, why can’t an Irish first name be combined with a [name]German[/name] last name? I like [name]Jill[/name]'s idea of using the full name [name]Phineas[/name] with the nn [name]Finn[/name].
We have a lot of [name]Asian[/name] families where I live, and they love to pair trendy first names with [name]Asian[/name] last names. Many of the trendy first names are Celtic, names that end in “en”, or Hebrew. I’m completely used to it. Sounds perfectly fine!

Well, our last name isn’t [name]Von[/name] Trapp, but it is distinctly [name]German[/name]. We def. considered [name]Phineas[/name], but the last name starts with an “S”, so I didn’t want the whole “blend-together” issue with last letter of first name, first letter of last name starting with same letter. We also considered [name]Griffin[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]…we just don’t know. My husband really likes [name]Finnian[/name]. I just know that some people get all worked up when you pair a name which is distinctly one nationality with a surname which is clearly another. There’s also the fact that neither of us is strongly Irish…or [name]German[/name]…just the last name is!

I really don’t think it matters all too much.

Growing up I had a very distinct French last name that no one could pronounce :slight_smile: My sister and I were saddled with names that sort of blended [[name]Sophie[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name]], but my brother donned [name]Erich[/name], which looked a little mismatched to me, but nobody ever took notice of it.

My surname now is really boring, with English-Scottish roots, and I’m planning on using [name]Sylvie[/name] or [name]Cillian[/name] if we have any more bubs, so I don’t think it matters! I find flow has more impact on my decision.

I do adore the suggestion of [name]Finnian[/name]/[name]Phineas[/name] though! They’re divine :slight_smile:

I have the same issue…husband’s name is [name]German[/name] and I am VERY Irish - and would like to assert that. You said what “other people think” but none of that matters. It’s only what you think. Our last name is Zimmerman…and if we had a girl I would have no problem going with [name]Maeve[/name] Zimmerman! My friend named her son [name]Finn[/name] and their last name is not irish.

If you love [name]Finnian[/name], by all means, GO FOR IT!

Sorry, got a little overexcited there…

I have what has been described as a “very Jewish” surname-- it’s Lithuanian. My first name, [name]Sally[/name], is… not that. Who cares? The important thing is that you love the name that you choose for your child, and [name]Finnian[/name] is that name.

After all, what is [name]America[/name] but the land of diversity? I say do it!

[name]Do[/name] they need to match? ABSOLUTELY NOT. We lived in a globalized world, and if you want to honor different parts of your own heritage, or simply like the way the names sound, go for it.

Plus, europeans moved around so much they are all sort of related. I used to be against a very very irish first name for my child since my husband’s surname is very irish ([name]Kelly[/name]) until I realized that [name]Ireland[/name] has a long history of danish immigrants (for example Christchurch in [name]Dublin[/name] was founded by Danes) and therefore an irish name would actually honor MY heritage too! [name]Just[/name] an aside :wink: