Do our names work as a sibset?

I’ve always felt that my name is completely different to my brothers’ names and I wanted to know what other people thought. I’m perfectly happy with my name I just thought it didn’t quite fit with my brothers. [name_f]My[/name_f] brothers are [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Richard[/name_m] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. Mine is [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Katie[/name_f].

My main issue is that my middle name is more of a nickname while my brothers have full names (although I was going to be [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] until my dad changed it at the last second. I think if I was [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] they would fit much better). [name_f]My[/name_f] other issue is that my brothers have biblical first names that are very familiar, whereas mine is Welsh and quite unusual. I absolutely love my name and always get complimented on it when I meet someone new, but it does feel a bit strange with my brothers.

Anyway, that’s what I think and I’d love to hear anyone else’s opinions.

1 Like

I fee like it works because of the different genders. If you were a boy and you had a welsh name like [name_u]Osian[/name_u] or [name_u]Elis[/name_u] then I would see it as a bit odd with your brothers’ names. However, I don’t think its that odd in your situation as people often differ stylistically in their girls and boys favourites. I love [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] by the way, its so refreshing and pretty.
Its a little unexpected but I don’t think its strange xx

1 Like

Does it fit perfectly in terms of style? In my opinion, no. Is that a big deal in the long run? In my opinion, no. I definitely see where you’re coming from, but like I said, I don’t really see it an issue. I agree with @MargotAbeline that because you’re a different gender it seems a little less out of place. I’ve seen a lot of people go with one style or theme for their boys and another for their girls.

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] gives me a more medieval, regal vibe than [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] but I think they go together really beautifully anyway! I also think your middle names are all pretty in-sync.

I don’t think they feel that different, especially considering you are the only girl. I wouldn’t consider them the same style, but they definitely don’t clash or anything like that. I think [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] actually go together really nicely, as do [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], so altogether it works for me.

They’re a bit different stylistically but nothing jarring! They go nicely together!

Bronwyn and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] have several similar sounds, so think they go together. No really my sort of style, but I can see why people would like both if hey like one, despite a significant difference in popularity. [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] dont really go together that well, in my opinion.
In terms of middle names, I agree that your middle does feel different. [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] would have a more similar feel.
However, as PP said, it’s not that uncommon for people to have different themes for boys and girls, so it’s less weird than if you were a boy with another unusual name, or if [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] was a [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] (going for similar letters, and another Biblical first name)

They’re not perfect, but I’ve seen worse. I have a friend named [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] who has a sister named [name_f]Joy[/name_f], which imo is much more different.