Do these names work together?

We are currently expecting our first child and would like to use the name [name]Finlay[/name] for a boy or [name]Isla[/name] for a girl. We would like to use both names if we are ever fortunate enough to have both sexes, as we like the names equally. But what do you think? [name]Do[/name] these names complemet each other, or are they a bit too matchy due to the similar ‘la’ sounds? Although, [name]Isla[/name] would be pronounced “Eye-luh” and [name]Finlay[/name] would be “[name]Finn[/name]-lee”. What are your thoughts?

[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Finlay[/name] are great sibling names!

I should have also said, we have Scottish roots and I think that generally the names we will choose for our future children will be Scottish, but we both really love the name [name]Iris[/name] for a girl as well. In fact, part of me prefers [name]Iris[/name] to [name]Isla[/name] as it feels less matchy to [name]Finlay[/name], but I wonder how much it would stick out amongst Scottish names?

[name]Isla[/name] is streets ahead of [name]Iris[/name]. I love the sibset too. Why not spell as [name]Finley[/name] to make the pronunciation obvious?

That’s a good idea, thanks, and it makes [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] a little more different, too. Question, though - is there a ‘proper’ way to spell [name]Finlay[/name]/[name]Finley[/name], or are both spellings correct? I’m keen to avoid trendy spellings, and I’ve noticed that lately some people are using the name for girls - am I right in thinking that [name]Finley[/name] is the adapted-for-girls version? If not, I quite like it. :slight_smile:

I think they go together great.

I would spell [name]Finlay[/name] in its masculine form, [name]Findlay[/name], to avoid gender confusion. With a feminine name like [name]Isla[/name] (which I really like!), I’d us a more masculine name for a son. [name]Brody[/name] is also really cute with [name]Isla[/name]…

I would spell [name]Finlay[/name] in its masculine form, [name]Findlay[/name], to avoid gender confusion. With a feminine name like [name]Isla[/name] (which I really like!), I’d us a more masculine name for a son. [name]Brody[/name] is also really cute with [name]Isla[/name]…[/quote]

Yes! I was just about to say the same thing. If you have Scottish roots and plan on using Scottish names then please use the proper spellings. [name]Findlay[/name] is the proper spelling of [name]Finley[/name]/[name]Finlay[/name]. It seems more masculine too, like [name]Lemon[/name] mentioned.

Although I’m not a huge fan of [name]Isla[/name] it is cute with [name]Findlay[/name], which I love, especially with the nickname [name]Finn[/name], so lovely!

[name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] work brilliantly together. [name]Iris[/name] is lovely too.

[name]Finlay[/name] is the correct spelling. [name]Findlay[/name] is from the surname and [name]Finley[/name] is just a naff creative spelling.

If you check you will find that [name]Finley[/name] is the masculine spelling, and it is derived from the name Fionnlagh.

[name]Finley[/name] rose to prominence from 1880-1910 and then was revived in the 21st century, and it is only since 2005 that people have been using it as a girl’s name. Therefore it is a valid boy’s name of Scottish origin.

[name]Love[/name] the names together. I think they work great.
I’d spell [name]Finley[/name] ‘ey’ to make it obvious that it’s pronounced ‘lee’ as well, but other than that I love it and think they sound great together :slight_smile:

That is totally incorrect. I am Scottish, I know!

[name]Finley[/name] is unheard of in [name]Scotland[/name]. [name]Finlay[/name] is a BOYS name. [name]Finley[/name] is only used as a girls name in [name]America[/name]. [name]Just[/name] because some creative people choose to use it on girls, it doesn’t turn it into a girls name.

[name]Finlay[/name] is from Fionnlagh (where’s the E in Fionnlagh??)

[name]Finley[/name] is FROM [name]Finlay[/name], which is the anglicized form of Fionnlagh.

[name]Oxford[/name] Dictionary of First Names is very very reliable.