Do they have a point?

I am currently TTC so the third isnt quite on the cards yet ( hopefully soon :crossed_fingers:) but at the moment I am really liking the name [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] ( would be a third boy for us) does [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] seem like not a very good match in terms of my other boys names. ( See profile)
I don’t know sometimes about the name because my other boys names are quite popular. I wondered if [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] seemed like a bizarre choice compared to my other boys names.

I think both [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] would fit. I do admit that I prefer [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] did give me a momentary pause when I first read it, but I don’t think it stands out much. I think it was more that you’ve been asking about [name_u]Elias[/name_u] for some time and I wasn’t expecting [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] all of the sudden.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

[name_m]Finnian[/name_m] actually fits very well with your boys, in my opinion! [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] might be a more expected choice, but [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] is handsome and solid (like your sons’ names). It fits well in length and nickname potential. It also feels stylistically similar to other names you have mentioned liking. Honestly, I think it’s a great match (and a name I like)!

3 Likes

I feel like [name_u]Elias[/name_u] may stylistically fit more. But I just can’t get my head around the nickname [name_u]Eli[/name_u] much. Not that it’s a bad nickname by any means. I think it’s because there is an [name_u]Eli[/name_u] in my son’s school and it takes away the magic a bit. [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] feels very Gaelic to me ( again, not a bad thing) but I think the nickname [name_u]Finn[/name_u] to go with my other son’s nicknames feels very cohesive.

@almostactually thank you! [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] feels very much like a footballers name to me. ( No idea why.) Is there a famous footballer with this name or surname lol? Plus I just think of the word hooligan. ( I know I’m weird) but [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] feels very different as it’s softer and has that Caspian/Florian/Fabian romantic feel about it. Which is the vibe I love. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love the nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. I think it fits well with your other boys’ names! I’m not a fan of [name_u]Eli[/name_u] very much either… [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is actually one of the few boy names I don’t think I have or want a potential nn for (shock and awe).

2 Likes

i think it is a bit out there compared with the other 2, but nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u] (which i assume you’d be using?) grounds it enough. i do think another [name_u]Finn[/name_u] name such as [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] or [name_u]Finley[/name_u] works better though.

1 Like

It’s true, [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] (gorgeous name btw!) is very different in style from your other boys, but their names won’t always be said together. Some people in their adult life (referencing this since it would be the majority of their life) will probably not even know their brothers names and most of the ones that do know their names will more than likely not think of their names as a group. I’ve noticed that it’s common as children get further down the line that the parents will choose names that don’t “go” with the first kids, so it’s not like you’d be the only one to do that! People are used to that happening, I think. Also, it doesn’t seem like most non-namenerds typically notice that sort of thing, so I doubt most people would think anything of it.

1 Like

I’d go with [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] because the nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_m]Zach[/name_m], and [name_u]Alex[/name_u] compliment each other quite nicely. :relaxed:

1 Like

I think this is more or less what we would go with. I just don’t like [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a stand alone and prefer the longer name option of Finnian/Finn.

That’s true lol. Does it feel very much the odd one out? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s perhaps because [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] is so uncommon.

I don’t like [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] anywhere near as much. I wonder what it is with [name_m]Finnigan[/name_m] which makes it more cohesive with my boys names, rather than [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]?

There is that, especially given how popular [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] are/have been, but I also think it differs in actual style. It does feel different than the others, but I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal in the long run, definitely not big enough to keep you from using it if it’s truly your favourite!

1 Like

Thanks :blush: what style would you say [name_m]Finnian[/name_m], [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] was?

Is [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] on the table? Also I think that [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_u]Callum[/name_u] fit perfectly. Good luck!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] but [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] more. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner is t keen though. I don’t like [name_u]Callum[/name_u], that’s not my style really. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is lovely but my son’s best friend is a [name_m]Tobias[/name_m].

Oh, I don’t think the difference in popularity is a huge factor. Something ultra rare like Danger or Zen might feel off with your boys’ classic names, but Finnian fits the vibe perfectly. And it even shortens to a fun, likable nn! Alex, Zach, & Finn are perfect brother names! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

Finnian is perfect in my opinion. I think it goes really well (and I like the name by itself, espiceillay with the nn of Finn)

1 Like

Thank you