Do you associate anything with...

Hello Nameberry! I have kind of a weird question for you today. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have very distinct feelings or associations with different “stages” of your life as a namenerd? When I find an old list, even if I still have most of those names on my current list, I have some sort of association with that part of my namenerd-iness that I don’t associate with the rest of my life at some time. Sometimes it’s obvious and sometimes it’s weird. When I look at a list I created around the time that I was first discovering the more out-there flower names, the list feels distinctly like freshly washed linen sheets (I have no idea why?!) and gardens (a more reasonable association, ha.) That’s probably the easiest to explain because I can’t connect most of the other feelings to a physical association as well, they’re just… more like emotions that seem invented for a specific list! Maybe I have a color associated with some, like one of my lists from when I was younger has a gentle blue overtone and one feels like an almost ginger-ish color.
I’ve always known this but never thought much about it till recently. I know this is kind of rambly and I might be the only one (if you don’t do this I probably sound like a total weirdo), but does anyone experience anything like this? It’s distinct, but not as strong as I made it sound, like it’s not THAT noticeable unless I think about it.

Absolutely. I get a stale sensation from most of my old favorite names, probably just because they are old favorites. My recent (discarded) girls’ name list was discarded because I associate colors with names and none of the colors were going together, so the list just felt chaotic and unnecessary. The styles, I think, were quite cohesive, but the colors were and I like my lists to be fairly monochromatic. I also have distinct “stages” of liking names (with colors associated), from [name_f]Acacia[/name_f] and [name_f]Layla[/name_f] (black, pink, yellow) to [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] (sterile hospital white). Sometimes I have to discard a name just because I was in a low point of my life when I liked it, which I don’t think is too unusual for a name nerd.

I’m glad to see someone else experiences this! By the way, your signature reads very mahogany/pea green to me. I like it quite a bit!

What an intriguing question!

There haven’t been any major shifts in my favourite names for some years now, so I have to go back quite far to spot any noticeable changes in feels or associations. When I get back to the [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] / [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] era, I get strong impressions of dark colours and old furniture, whereas if I go even further back to when my favourites were [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Lilias[/name_f] and [name_f]Anne[/name_f], it’s all very fresh and bright and summery. I think this is probably because of the general style and imagery of the names, and not because of anything that was going on in my life… But now that I think of it, my [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilias[/name_f] phase might correspond to a time when I was quite innocent and happy-go-lucky as a young teenager, and the [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] / [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] stage to a period of disillusionment…