Do you have to have a theme ...

… or is it ok to just pick names you like?
I do not think my kids names “go” together but I like them all equally for different reasons.
Is that enough? People on here seem to like that names “match” or go together.
Thoughts?

I pick names that I like but I make sure that I put them in categories. I themes are important. It makes sure your kids don’t get jealous of one another’s name.

I would never name a daugther [name]Evangeline[/name] and name her sister [name]Riley[/name] because I them both for different reasons. [name]Evangeline[/name] might think her name is to complicated compared to [name]Riley[/name] or [name]Riley[/name] might think her name is too simple compred to [name]Evangeline[/name].

I especially stress themes for multiples. There is nothing Ihate more than with multiples with mix matched names. I hate that there is a [name]Conner[/name], [name]Ty[/name] and [name]Violetta[/name]. Siblings much share a common ground with names.

That’s my 2 cents

I do think it’s important for all the names to complement each other as a sibset but I don’t think it has to be picture perfect. For example: [name]Cormac[/name], [name]Declan[/name], and [name]Malachy[/name] might be an “ideal sibset” as all are 3 energetic and somewhat unusual Irish names. However, I only REALLY like one of those names, and that’s [name]Cormac[/name], and wouldn’t give my other sons names I don’t [name]LOVE[/name], just because they sound good with [name]Cormac[/name]. However I really love [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name]. They’re not all Irish, but all 3 are popular in the UK, and they mesh well together. I love the way [name]Cormac[/name], [name]Ollie[/name], and [name]Rufus[/name] look! Another option (and one that I plan on doing) is tying them together with middles. I plan on giving them all classic, royal names as middles (I’m a huge history buff, and because I prefer less common firsts for my children). So [name]Cormac[/name] [name]Henry[/name], [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Edward[/name], and [name]Rufus[/name] [name]William[/name] are a great sibset I think! [name]Even[/name] though they have different origins they are all names heard in Britian, lively and upbeat, and all have middles of past English monarchs. A pretty good sibset to me. :]

I definitely do not think one needs a theme when naming their children, but agree that it is nice if the names compliment eachother. In this way naming is much like fashion or decorating. The show “What not to Wear” likes to say that its not about being matchy match with thigns excessively, but its about things that GO WELL together. Perhaps you love floral prints, but that doesnt mean everything should be floral, but it would also be weird to wear an leopard print skirt with a floral blouse. [name]Just[/name] because you like the name [name]Lily[/name] doesnt mean you have to name your other daughters [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name]. But on the same point I would not be a fan if [name]Lily[/name] had a sisters named [name]Jordyn[/name] and [name]Starr[/name]. I think [name]Lily[/name] can be sisters with [name]Jane[/name], [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Isobel[/name]. Names of a similar style but not an overwhelming theme.

Rather go with ‘just pick names you like’. [name]Don[/name]'t feel they have to match, fit some theme or compliment each other.

I don’t necessarily think that there has to be a theme, but I think they should at least slightly compliment each other. It would be odd to see a sibset: [name]Haley[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Leanna[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name]. They don’t compliment each other… Sometimes, it annoys me when a naming theme is so incredibly obvious (i.e. [name]Lily[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Daisy[/name]).

The names I have picked out can be divided into three categories:

(Biblical First Names, MN Family Names)
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Christine[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ada[/name] [name]Alberta[/name]
[name]David[/name] [name]Louis[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]

(Italian)
[name]Luca[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Aria[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]

Random:
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] Mikelle

Rather go with ‘just pick names you like’. Don’t feel they have to match, fit some theme or compliment each other.

Agreed

I do think people here tend to over obsess about sibsets. I think sometimes we forget that once people are out of high school they’re rarely introduced with their siblings, and I mean how often do we really talk about our siblings in every day life? I think twins and multiples it’s more important to have names that go together well but are distinctive. A twin is much more likely to be introduced together or talk about their twin more often than a normal sibling. I think it’s more important to pick names that you all love and sound ok together rather than worrying about a theme. For example it would be weird to have one daughter names something unisex like [name]Quinn[/name] and another daughter named something very feminine like [name]Susannah[/name].

You definitely don’t need a theme. I do think kids names should be generally the same style, but I love sib sets that are unexpected. Sisters [name]Quinn[/name] and [name]Susanna[/name] is a good example, they are too vastly different, and I never had a sister but if I did i know I would always wonder why I didn’t get a name like my sisters. But other than that I don’t think it has an effect on the kids and it definitely doesn’t matter when they’re adults… But for me it’s not about what other people think about how they go together at all. As a parent you will always think of your kids names together, and I personally want to like the way they go together. My brother and I are grown but we’re still “[name]Lyndsay[/name] and [name]Jeffrey[/name]” to family. Its the same with my cousins and husbands family, too. So that’s why it matters to me. Themes though I think are just fun.

I honestly don’t think regular people even think about this. I’ve only heard this addressed on naming sites. Most people don’t think about sib sets in the real world.

That is 100% true! People act like I’m crazy for thinking about sib sets… Seriously!

I guess I do not mean a “theme” as much as match. But then again, who says what matches?
My girls’ names are similar to [name]Eddie[/name] Veder’s: his are [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]. Ultrafem and unisex.
I guess it is a moot point as my girls are named and their names came from books that had meaning to me.
[name]Just[/name] curious!

I’m not a fan of themes (all the same letter, rhyme, whatever) but I think sibsets need to be cohesive. I happen to like long, clunky, vintage names-[name]Penelope[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] so you wouldn’t see me throwing [name]Piper[/name] in the mix (as much as I secretly like [name]Piper[/name])