Do you know any babies named....

I’m scared of how popular [name]Penelope[/name] is becoming! I am TTC with SO and we’ve already discussed names alot (he’s such a great guy to put up with my name OBSESSION). He is in love with the name [name]Penelope[/name]. I love it, too, for every reason every other nameberry seems to love it BUT… it’s #200!!! I think she’s only going to move up the list this year. [name]Do[/name] any of you know any baby Penelopes? [name]Do[/name] you know more than one? And what’s the nn of the Penelopes that actually exist? If you have a [name]Penelope[/name]: have you met any other Penelopes?
Thanks in advance; this has been taking up too much of my brain.

I don’t know any Penelopes nor have I ever even come across one! I say go for it:)

I know only one [name]Penelope[/name] (no nickname) and she’s in her thirties. I’ve met a what seems-like-a-million children named [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Emily[/name]. I’ve also met quite a few named [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Kristen[/name]/[name]Kirsten[/name], [name]Claire[/name], and [name]McKenzie[/name].

If you love the name you should use it. I don’t think there will be a ton of little [name]Penelope[/name]'s even though it may be getting more popular.

BTW - it’s a gorgeous name!

I love that name:) I haven’t heard anyone with the name, a few of my friends have talked about using it but that’s about it! It’s definitely on my girl list too. I think you should go for it!!

I’m 6 weeks with my second, and am having the same issue with a few of my favorites for girls–[name]Laila[/name], [name]London[/name], [name]Quinn[/name]…all steadily climbing up the charts! I don’t think at #200 you run the risk of there being 4 or 5 in her class at school, but if it keeps climbing the charts you might just run into several little Penelopes down the road. That happened with my sister, who named her daughter [name]Ashton[/name] 19 years ago, right before it became so popular.

I know one baby [name]Penelope[/name] that goes by [name]Penny[/name], and I live in what seems to be a “nameberry neighborhood.” I meet kids with names like [name]Simeon[/name], [name]Cruz[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]June[/name] all the time. I even met a little [name]Bruce[/name] the other day! Point being, I only know one [name]Penelope[/name]. My name ([name]Olivia[/name]) was around the 200 mark when I was born, and I rarely met other Olivias growing up. Obviously there are a ton these days, but it took 20-30 years [name]Olivia[/name] to make into the top 10. If it’s a name you both love, I would use it. Top 200 is not a big deal :slight_smile: And it’s a great name!

I know one, around 2 yrs old in TX.

I know one little girl named [name]Penelope[/name], she’s 6. I think it really depends on where you live. Top 200 isn’t all that high. This isn’t a perfect indicator, but look at the names surrounding [name]Penelope[/name] on the list - [name]Melody[/name], [name]Leslie[/name], [name]Ana[/name], [name]Makenna[/name], [name]Aurora[/name]… do you know any babies with those names? I know an [name]Anna[/name], but that’s about it. I think popularity can sometimes be blown out of proportion. But again, it does depend on your area. If you live in an urban area where names trends seem to first pop up, then you’re more likely to meet other little [name]Penelope[/name]'s. Are the baby girls in your area being named [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]? Conversely, are you surrounded by “trendy” names like [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Harper[/name], etc. or do most people stick with popular classics like [name]Anna[/name], [name]Kate[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name]? That, I think, is the best way to answer the popularity question.

I don’t know any Penelopes, baby or adult. I am a teacher and don’t even think there are any in my K-5 grade school. I would go for it. I dislike popular names too but 200 isn’t that common and if it does gain popularity, she’ll still be ahead of the crowd.

Nicknames could be [name]Penny[/name], [name]Nel[/name], [name]Nellie[/name]…

I have never met, or even heard of anybody (at least in real life), named [name]Penelope[/name]. Although it’s not at all my style, I say go go it, if it’s a name you love! :slight_smile: I really don’t see it becoming overly popular.

I don’t know any Penelopes, but I do think the name will continue to grow in popularity.

What really helps [name]Penelope[/name] is the wealth of nicknames. [name]Penny[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], [name]Polly[/name], [name]Poppy[/name]. It’s very customizable like [name]Elizabeth[/name] which I expect will help it seem less tired when it does become more common.

Thanks so much everbody! I personally don’t know any Penelopes but it is such a popular suggestion on name boards and short lists… I always loved my name ([name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name]) and how different it was from the [name]Lauren[/name]'s and [name]Jessica[/name]'s I grew up with. This’ll be my first baby so I have no idea what little kids are being called & what’s popular has changed SO MUCH!

I do love [name]Penelope[/name], too, but I have yet to meet one. You know, its funny you bring this up. My own kid’s names are more popular than I might have gone with if I was the only one deciding on a name. Now, I know it’s still in the upper 300s, but [name]Arabella[/name] is climbing the charts quickly. However, I haven’t met one since I had my daughter. I have an acquaintance who’s niece is [name]Arabella[/name], but that’s the closest I’ve come to meeting one.

My son’s name is in the upper 100s, so its a bit more popular than my daughter’s name, but I still have yet to meet another [name]Jude[/name]. So, my point is that even in that range on the SSA lists, you’re not too likely to meet another [name]Penelope[/name] anytime soon :).

I’ve never met or even hear of one, so I was shocked to hear that it was #200. I think the advice about looking at what names are trendy in your area is spot on. Among people I went to college with, it seems like half named their daughter [name]Stella[/name], though I don’t know any in my own town. Same with [name]Ezra[/name] for a boy (#243). If I gave my child one of these names, most people around here would think I was being fairly unique, but at a college reunion I’d just look like another lemming.

And even if you encounter a [name]Penelope[/name], it doesn’t make it a sign that it’s too popular. A friend took her new baby [name]Aurelia[/name] to the park, and was told that another baby [name]Aurelia[/name] had just left. That year [name]Aurelia[/name] was ranked #1,742! [name]Just[/name] a thought.

I was worried enough about this to try and take it off the short list (SO balked and told me I was overthinking) but I’m really glad I asked on here! I’m feeling so much better after reading everyone’s comments. I was worried that [name]Penelope[/name] would be everywhere but if she isn’t seen in real life even on nameberry… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I know one adult [name]Penelope[/name] who goes by [name]Penny[/name] and is perhaps in her mid-70’s or so. She is a fantastic woman and a great namesake. I love the name.

I have never met a [name]Penelope[/name]. I wouldn’t worry much about #200. You’d be much less likely to hear today’s #200 than you would have heard 1900’s #200 because there’s sooooooo many more names in the mix these days. Hopefully that made some sort of sense. :lol: If you love [name]Penelope[/name] (and it is a beautiful name!), please don’t settle for something else because you may end up regretting it.