Do you know too many Catherines?

See the results of this poll: Do you know too many Catherines? (all spellings included)

Respondents: 42 (This poll is closed)

• Yes : 14 (33%)
  • No: 28 (67%)

I know several Katherines, Katies, and Kathys, but it’s not an overwhelming number. I don’t think I know anyone with the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] spelling.

Not really. My daughter’s name is [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and she’s the only baby I know with the name. One of my sister’s best friends is [name_f]Katie[/name_f] (probably short for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]) and I remember knowing a [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] (however it was spelled) in high school, but those two are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, there was a [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] in high school, too. Maybe a [name_f]Kathy[/name_f]… Still, not many Catherines/Katherines at all, which is kind of strange, now that I think of it! Most of the C/Katherines I know of are famous people: [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_f]Cate[/name_f] Blanchett, [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Middleton, [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m], [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] Hepburn…

(I just remembered someone I know has twins named Katherine and Alexander, but they’re a few years older than my kids. I also recall another Katie from college, but I don’t remember what it was short for.)

I know lots of [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]/[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Katelyn[/name_f] 's with nicknames such as [name_f]Caity[/name_f]/[name_f]Caitie[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f]/[name_f]Katy[/name_f]/[name_f]Kaity[/name_f] or Caito but no Catherines of any spelling

If you go to “google” and type in Social Security name rankings by state, you get to a webpage where you can select the state you live in and it will show the top 100 names. This is a great resource to see if [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is popular where you live. Depending on what region you reside in, it may not be as popular as you think. :slight_smile:

I live in Australia and think the name is more popular in theory than in statistics. I know (or know of) several [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]/[name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f]/[name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f]'s as it’s quite a popular name in my age group. I also know of several [name_f]Katie[/name_f]'s ranging from the ages of 12 - 43. However, [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]'s, I don’t know of many…

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] in her late 60’s/early 70’s.
2 x [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]'s in their early 20’s.
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] in her early 20’s.
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Katie[/name_f] in her mid-20’s.

I also know of three [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]/[name_f]Catriona[/name_f]'s…one in her 40’s, one in her early 20’s and one about 18.

My best friend is a [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] “[name_f]Katie[/name_f]” and she’s the only one I know.

I know quite a few. Tbh, I could probably quickly think of a dozen. That’s not including variations ([name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]/[name_f]Katrina[/name_f]) .

I only know one that goes by her full name, however. Most go by [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f]. I also don’t know any under 25 ish years of age. If I heard it on a child, I’d probably think it was slightly boring, but a nice change from all the little [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]'s/[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]'s/[name_u]Madison[/name_u]'s running around

When I stop to think about it, I notice, “Oh, I know a lot of Catherines!” But they’re so interspersed and have so many varied nns that I think, “Oh, I only know one, right?” My great-grandma was a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], and there was a girl about 10 years older than me in my church, when I was little, whose name was [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. And I went to school with a just [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and a just [name_f]Katie[/name_f]. I think that’s it, honestly. I know much more Elijahs and [name_m]Daniels[/name_m] and Coras (of all ages!) and almost Destinys than I know Katherines. :slight_smile: I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], too, but [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] has really been growing on me. I like the kick of the “K”, but the softness of the “C”, too. I’m pretty sure I’ll stick to [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], though. It seems so regal, so queenly. :slight_smile: And there are so many nns! There’s [name_u]Kit/name_u and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Rina[/name_f] which are all virtually unheard of, or even just the full [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] many Catherines do you know that are just [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]? It’s no worse than [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. :slight_smile: In fact, I’m pretty sure [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is far worse. I don’t know; I feel like with the classics, they’re deceptively popular. You never feel like you know a million, and there are always way more of them than you’d expect there would be. I would love to meet a little [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I only know two. One is around fifty and the other is four. I was pleasantly surprised to meet a little [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]!