Do you let a name's popularity deter you? Why or why not?

Thanks, all. I am caring very little now about the popularity of [name]Finlay[/name]/[name]Finn[/name]–but the subject of name popularity being a factor (or not) is still fascinating. I wonder if I am less concerned about name popularity for girls (I wouldn’t hesitate to choose [name]Lucy[/name], for instance)–which would put me in the minority–or do I feel that way simply because I haven’t had to narrow down a name for a girl yet?

To swerve from the topic at hand a little, on the subject of naming our kid-to-come: this pregnancy I have also been very fond of the name [name]Sawyer[/name]. Of course, I wouldn’t combine [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Finlay[/name] in one name (begs for a [name]Twain[/name] too), but am curious if you expert name-ponderers think [name]Sawyer[/name] McMaster is too much “r”? (Our last name is McMaster). And do you prefer the sound of [name]Sawyer[/name] or [name]Finlay[/name] as a sibling name for [name]Wyatt[/name]?
Again, thanks so much in advance for any comments on this–or on name popularity in general.

[name]Hi[/name] there, SloppyArt. Between [name]Finlay[/name] McMaster and [name]Sawyer[/name] McMaster, I like [name]Finlay[/name] McMaster (love its sound and feel, actually), not only for its flow, but because you’ll have the [name]Finn[/name] nickname, too.

I think that [name]Wyatt[/name] and [name]Finlay[/name]/[name]Finn[/name] is great!

I can see [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Wyatt[/name] as brothers as well, but I personally like it when first and last names don’t have the same ending sound.

So, I’m going to vote for [name]Finlay[/name] McMaster. :slight_smile:

Continued good wishes!

Thanks again, [name]Jill[/name]. We’ll get this baby named yet–with the help of you on here (sadly, more than my husband). I guess not to detract from the interesting subject of name popularity I should pose my [name]Finlay[/name]/[name]Sawyer[/name] question on another post? I’m still learning my way around nameberry…

[name]Hi[/name]! I think it would be a great idea to start a new thread! Why not make a poll with [name]Finlay[/name] McMaster and Sawer McMaster?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think you should name your son [name]Sawyer[/name] Finlayson McMaster. That way, you honor the family member and get to use [name]Sawyer[/name] as well. Then your son could also be nnamed [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Finlay[/name] if you should wamt to do so.

[name]Hi[/name] unicorngal. The only trouble with naming our son [name]Sawyer[/name] Finlayson McMaster (which sounds/looks wonderful to me), is the repetitive nod to [name]Mark[/name] [name]Twain[/name] of having both a [name]Sawyer[/name] (as in [name]Tom[/name]) and a [name]Finn[/name] (as in [name]Huck[/name]) in there. I happen to love both books–which may be why I love the names–but it would feel like we should stick a [name]Clemens[/name] and [name]Jim[/name] and maybe [name]River[/name] in there for good measure. [name]Do[/name] others see this as a problem/cause for joking?

Does anyone think Finlayson is a better first name than [name]Finlay[/name]? I thought it screamed Last Name, with the “son” and all, and that a boy would prefer to be named simply [name]Finlay[/name]. But two different people in the last day have said they like Finlayson as an even more distinctive “[name]Finn[/name]”. I guess it’s in the same vein as [name]Jameson[/name].

I think Finlayson is ok, but [name]Finlay[/name] is better. I do think [name]Sawyer[/name] Finlayson is ok, the [name]Mark[/name] [name]Twain[/name]-ness may seem very obvious to everyone - if they ever hear his middle name at all, which is unusual. It just seems incidental to me. If you would name him [name]Sawyer[/name] Finlayson and call him [name]Finn[/name] instead of [name]Sawyer[/name], then it will become much more of an issue than Finlayson, where he would say, pleased to meet you, my name is [name]Sawyer[/name] McMaster, everyone just calls me [name]Finn[/name]. That sort of makes it awkward than if everyone just calls him [name]Sawyer[/name].

I don’t like Finlayson for a first name with [name]Wyatt[/name]. They are both good names, but together reminds me of a law firm and not brothers. [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Wyatt[/name] are great. That -son just adds an element that distinguishes it by style too much, that actually [name]Jameson[/name] (your example) doesn’t. It’s the -ley/lay + -son, it just makes it a different name than [name]Finlay[/name] if you’ve already got a [name]Wyatt[/name].

A law firm! That’s exactly how Finlayson struck me with [name]Wyatt[/name] too, [name]Karen[/name]. Or an uppity company: [name]Wyatt[/name] & Finlayson, Inc. Thanks for pinpointing this. [name]Finlay[/name] it stays.