Do you like Junia?

While most of your preferred names are mythological, they stand alone as lovely names and aren’t as readily associated with mythology as say [name]Athena[/name] or [name]Pandora[/name]. I think it wouldn’t really matter if you ended up using them all, as what you really want to end up with are names that you adore, not ones you substituted simply to break up a possible pattern.

You do have soem lovely names chosen. I’m just not sue why you wouldn’t use [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] first as that is the one you seem to be the most certain about…

Edited for privacy.

@bluejuniper - If I have a girl first, I will use [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. She is my absolute favorite. [name]Phoebe[/name] is my second favorite, followed by [name]Gwendolen[/name] and then maybe [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Rosanna[/name]…

@saracita00 - So was that a vote in favor of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]? (I may never even get to use all these - I might get some boys!)

Edited for privacy.

[name]LOVE[/name]! I would pronounce it “JOON-ee-uh”. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] is pretty, but [name]Junia[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] is better, [name]IMO[/name]. :slight_smile:

@ [name]Lemon[/name]: I actually really like the idea of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. The nature-themed MNs actually feel really sweet to me as opposed to cheesy, like sisters named [name]Lily[/name], [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Violet[/name].

@saracita00 - [name]Juna[/name] is growing on me. The fact that my computer says it’s misspelled isn’t really helping, but the story I read about Arjuna makes the whole thing feel really special and, yes, historical. I’m having a little issue with [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juna[/name] and, honestly, I prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juna[/name]. I think I’d want to nickname her [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name], which seems silly when I could just name her [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name]. But, I really don’t want to do that. I don’t know if you saw [name]Zelda[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] in the blog post today, but I just commented on it, saying that those parents could have easily chosen the equally-vintage [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Clementine[/name], but they would have lost out on all the oomph that [name]Zelda[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] brings to the table. I don’t want to lose the oomph!

@trustedwriter - Yes, [name]Junia[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] does sound better the more people comment on it! But, I’m really quite set on [name]Phoebe[/name] in the first spot. By the way, I love that you’ve used [name]Melisande[/name]. It’s gorgeous!

@annie85 - You do? You like the theme? So, here’s my thing. If I don’t have three girls, you can’t really call two a theme, right? [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Archer[/name] [name]Milo[/name] are cool. (At least I think so!) And, I do love [name]Juniper[/name]. It’s got zest, or oomph, or whatever you want to call it. I want it, you know? I’m warming on [name]Juna[/name], but it’s always going to carry a bit of that “Is it made up?!” feel for me, which is unfortunate. So, I do appreciate your endorsement of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. Because if I had to pick this second, that’s what I’d go with, too.

[name]Lemon[/name]

Eh don’t worry about your computer, lol. Mine tells me that my Zephan’s name is misspelled all the time. I should just figure out how to add it to the computer’s dictionary! Yes I did see your comments, I’m in love with [name]Zelda[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] too. [name]Don[/name]'t worry, you’ll find your oomph! It’s out there, it’s just hard to find.

On the nature middle theme: I don’t think I’d have a problem with it, even if you did end up with all 3 girls. But like you say, if you only have 2 girls it doesn’t even count as a theme and you’d never think twice about it. I know I wouldn’t.

I wish we were naming children together, [name]Lemon[/name], because [name]Phoebe[/name] is my favorite girls name since I used [name]Gwendolyn[/name] already and I just can’t get it past DH. Same for [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Archer[/name] in the boy category. And I would totally do [name]Juniper[/name] nn [name]Juno[/name] as a first.

On to your actual question: [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. I love all of them - quite spunky and sophisticated and charming for any age. My one hesitation on [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] is the b-p combination because I would hate [name]Phoebe[/name] Juniber accidentally slipping out. But it probably wouldn’t. I quite like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juna[/name] too (better than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name]) and that makes the nature theme less obvious too - if you resolve your hesitation on [name]Juna[/name]. I would skip [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] due to the mythology of both names, the strong vowel sounds and the 2-2 combination.

I’m trying to come up with ideas for my second now too (due in [name]August[/name]). I’ve just been perusing the threads but maybe I’ll post too - see what you all think.

@saracita00 - Gosh, that would just kill me! My computer saying my kid’s name was spelled wrong, I mean. And, you’re right. The oomph is out there… :wink:

@gwensmom - I don’t really think I have a problem with the theme, to be honest. It’s just, when people say “theme,” it seems like a negative. I’m not that worried about the B-P combination in [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] because, at least when I say it, the P in [name]Juniper[/name] is fairly emphasized. I’m going to need to sit on [name]Juna[/name] a bit more before I’m resolved on the issue. It would be nice, but I’m just not sure. And, we can try and name a kid together! Private message me, alright? I’m sad that your husband won’t go for [name]Phoebe[/name] because I think it’s just divine with your [name]Gwen[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name], wow - this is a fun thread! My vote would go to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]! Yes, I changed my mind, because I love [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] even more than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. I think you are right that [name]Iris[/name] balances out [name]Gwendolen[/name], and [name]Juniper[/name] gives a little “oomph” to [name]Phoebe[/name]!

Okay, so you know how I like to think of offbeat ways to honor people in my family? I stumbled upon this site - http://www.squidoo.com/birth-symbols - and I’m kind of obsessed with it right now. I don’t know how much of it is accurate, so if anyone has verification, that would be fabulous, but here’s what I got from it:

[name]March[/name] - My brother was born in [name]March[/name]. [name]March[/name] is a cool name in and of itself, but Aquamarine and [name]Daffodil[/name] aren’t really my style. [name]Jonquil[/name]? Eh, maybe. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Jonquil[/name] actually works, and my mom’s first name begins with [name]Jo[/name]-, so it’s a possibility. The trees are what really caught my eye. I didn’t know months had trees as symbols! The weeping willow is nice because it also honors my grandpa [name]Bill[/name] ([name]William[/name]), but after [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], I don’t know that I’d want to do [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Willow[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Willa[/name] - I’d probably choose [name]Willa[/name] over [name]Willow[/name] because [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Willow[/name] is way too TV witch-y (Charmed and [name]Buffy[/name]). Then there’s hazelnut and the hazel tree, and apparently the hazel tree stands for hidden wisdom? Hm. I’ve played with [name]Hazel[/name] as a first name - my dad hates it - but [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] has a certain appeal. No more energy than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], though it is slightly easier to say.

[name]April[/name] - Two of my grandparents were born in [name]April[/name] (I knew my grandma [name]Irene[/name] was, but apparently my grandpa was as well!). [name]April[/name] is a quirky name, but it’s not really my favorite. Plus, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]April[/name] just looks weird to me. I hate to say it, but [name]Diamond[/name] feels a little cheap as a name, at least to me. Sweet Pea is unusable - but could be a darn cute nickname for [name]Phoebe[/name] - and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] is all kinds of cutesy ridiculousness. [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] has too much D, too, right? [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] sounds better. Now, this write-up mentions [name]Venus[/name], which is too [name]Williams[/name] for me, and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name], from whose tears the daisy was said to have sprung (wow). [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Mary[/name] is a no, and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Magda[/name] just feel a little hard to say with the B’s and D’s, right? So, again, I turned to the trees - Walnut, [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Maple[/name]. Walnut is too tree-y, [name]Rowan[/name] is a little boyish and sounds too much like [name]Wren[/name], but [name]Maple[/name]? The symbol of balance, promise, and practicality? That happens to start with an Ma-, and therefore pays subtle tribute to [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Marion[/name]? [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Maple[/name]. Is that a winner?!

[name]May[/name] - My mother was born in [name]May[/name], and while I think [name]May[/name] is rather glamorous, and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]May[/name] is quite pretty, it’s a little light. [name]Emerald[/name], like [name]Diamond[/name], seems tacky to me, which is why I turned to [name]Esme[/name] once before. It just doesn’t sound good with any of the first names I like! [name]Lily[/name] of the [name]Valley[/name] is a naturally lead-in to [name]Lily[/name], but not only does [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lily[/name] sound goofy, it’s totally overdone. I would, however, consider [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lilias[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Liliane[/name], or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lila[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lilla[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lilith[/name], or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lilia[/name], whichever sounds best and is actually related to [name]Lily[/name]. Now, my goodness, [name]May[/name] has a bird! The nightingale! Not going to be using that one, or it’s natural short form, [name]Gale[/name]. [name]Galen[/name] for a boy, maybe, but not really. [name]Night[/name]? A little too harsh. I could even spin [name]Florence[/name], from [name]Florence[/name] Nightingale, but that’s a serious stretch and not really my style. Lots of the [name]May[/name] names are better for boys, like [name]Hawthorn[/name] and [name]Ash[/name].

[name]June[/name] - My sister and I were born in [name]June[/name]. [name]June[/name] is great, and it’s the reason for this whole thread, through [name]Junia[/name] (which has been nixed). [name]June[/name] just isn’t doing much for me in terms of oomph, hence my liking of [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] or, maybe, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]. I still really adore [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and it’s very much on the list. Now, [name]Pearl[/name] is [name]June[/name]'s birthstone and it’s just a little too old-lady for me, even though [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is quite nice. It’s just not me. Alexandrite works because it also tributes my brother’s middle name, but it sounds like a type of jewel, not a name, and no [name]Alex[/name] forms appeal to me for a girl. That brings us to [name]Rose[/name], the natural choice. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name], or my favorites, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosaline[/name]. I just don’t think they stack up to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], though! Right? Apparently, the rose is queen of flowers, so something meaning queen could work, yet that seems rather contrived. Then there are [name]June[/name]'s trees, namely the apple tree. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Apple[/name]?! I’d never live it down. I’d always think of [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name] and [name]Apple[/name] [name]Martin[/name]. Thanks, [name]Gwyneth[/name]…

[name]October[/name] - My other grandmother was born in [name]October[/name]. I’ve tried to stretch [name]Toby[/name] from that, but it’s a far cry from a true honoring. [name]Opal[/name] seems natural, but like [name]Pearl[/name], it isn’t me. [name]Jewel[/name] names in general aren’t me, in case you haven’t noticed. The opal is the stone of hope, but [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Hope[/name] is rather blah compared to some names we’ve thrown about, right Berries? Birth flowers are the calendula and cosmos flowers, neither of which are natural name choices, right? Now, the calendula is a pot marigold, which brings me back to [name]Marigold[/name] (see my other thread in Talk About Names for that discussion), a perfect fit for honoring a [name]Marion[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] has great energy, too! It just doesn’t feel right to me, though, and I can’t pin down why. Hm. I could split the name and use [name]Calla[/name], which relates more to [name]Lily[/name], for [name]May[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Calla[/name] is actually nice to say out loud, but it feels contrived. So, there’s that. But, look at [name]October[/name]'s trees! We’ve seen these in [name]April[/name], huh? [name]Rowan[/name], Walnut, and [name]Maple[/name]? [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] is acceptable but still rather boyish and [name]Wren[/name]-like, but there’s still [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Maple[/name] to consider. I love a good maple tree - seriously, I did not just make that up - and isn’t there something that will always make you think of maple syrup and sugary goodness when you hear [name]Maple[/name]?

[name]November[/name] - My other grandpa was born in [name]November[/name]. The birth stones are Citrine and Yellow [name]Topaz[/name]. So, yellow stuff. Are you getting anything from those, name-wise, because I’m sure not! The chrysanthemum isn’t really name worthy, either, so that leaves me with the trees: Chestnut and [name]Ash[/name]. I believe we saw [name]Ash[/name] in [name]May[/name], but it’s much more appropriate for a boy as either [name]Ash[/name], [name]Asher[/name], or [name]Ashlan[/name], right? [name]Ashlan[/name] is girly, though. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Ashlan[/name]? Icky. No, [name]November[/name] will not do!

[name]December[/name] - My dad’s birthday is in [name]December[/name]! [name]Turquoise[/name], [name]Lapis[/name] Lazuli, [name]Blue[/name] [name]Topaz[/name]. Eh. Nothing’s striking me, except for a sea of blue. I have considered [name]Blue[/name] as a middle name for [name]Gwendolen[/name], as in [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Blue[/name], but I nixed it for some reason or another awhile back. [name]Narcissus[/name] and [name]Holly[/name] aren’t really working for me, either, but we’ve got a plethora of tree options, namely Hornbeam, [name]Fig[/name], [name]Beech[/name], and, yes, [name]Apple[/name]. These so aren’t working! Should I look into [name]Apple[/name] variants? Apparently the apple is a symbol of masculinity, so maybe it should go on the boy list - ha. Macintosh could work! Again, ha. Sorry, dad, [name]December[/name] isn’t working so well. Good thing your zodiac did you a favor with [name]Archer[/name]! [name]Love[/name] that.

I reward you if you got through this whole long reply. Did anybody get anything out of this, and do we have proof that months have symbolic trees? Tell me what you think if you get a chance, Berries.

[name]Happy[/name] [name]Easter[/name] and Passover to those who celebrate. For others, happy [name]Sunday[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Junia[/name] is pretty and goes well with [name]Phoebe[/name], but it has a video game heroine sound to me? I love your other combos: [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. :slight_smile: [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] is cute and full of energy!

Whoa!!!
Thanks for the link.
The thought we name obsessed put in it amazing.
I knew one family who named their child by reading the birth announcements in the local paper and chose the first gender correct name listed.
Yet, here we are debating, considering, wallowing… searching… are we crazy? [name]Do[/name] we overthink it? Maybe, but at least we know the child one day named will be named with love and consideration.

emiliaj

@tookiecan - Gosh, you’re right, [name]Junia[/name] sounds like a video game heroine! A well-named one, of course… :wink:

@emiliaj - Isn’t that link cool? I want to know if it’s accurate, though. Yea, we Berries probably over-think, but we have fun doing it, for the most part, and we get good results if that recent blog on [name]Baby[/name] Berries revealed anything, right? I’m still pondering possible names from the tree symbol thing. Any thoughts?

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name]-
[name]March[/name]: Aquamarine as the colour- [name]Phoebe[/name] Cyann or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Azure[/name]
Lime: tree [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Linnea[/name]

[name]April[/name]: [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Averil[/name]
[name]November[/name]: Yellow: golden… [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]December[/name]: take the colour [name]Blue[/name]- twist it a bit: [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Apple[/name] tree: [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Avalon[/name] ([name]Avalon[/name] means [name]Isle[/name] of Apples and has celtic mythology)

emiliaj

I agree with this, love that trio!

OK, I also really like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Azure[/name] & [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]!

@emiliaj

I think I’m a little bit in love with you right now! [name]Linnea[/name] via linden for lime? Inspired! [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Linnea[/name] is gorgeous. I love it. [name]Ah[/name]! Also, [name]Linnea[/name] means “twinflower” and I’m a twin. Perfect? Perfect. Some of these color names are a little too bold for me, though they are cool. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name] is lovely, but it’s just not me, and I don’t know how I like it next to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Avalon[/name] is really perky! I do like that combination (if I didn’t keep thinking of the stupid Toyota [name]Avalon[/name]). And, finally, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]. Very chic, hot name. It’s got the same rhythm as [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], which I seem to love, but I think I’d pick [name]Juniper[/name] over [name]Indigo[/name] just because. Oh, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Linnea[/name]. I want confirmation of this linden-lime tree significance and then, bam! I’ve got a great new name to love. But, according to this site, the right [name]March[/name] tree would be Weeping [name]Willow[/name], not Lime (http://edenstreehouse.webs.com/celtictreeastrology.htm). Bummer! I need to find the be-all-end-all source for this tree stuff. Here’s another one (http://www.horoscope-astrology.net/astrology.php?id=19) which gives me these trees to work with: Weeping [name]Willow[/name] (my brother), [name]Rowan[/name] (my grandpa), [name]Maple[/name] (my grandma), Chestnut (my mom), [name]Fig[/name] (my sister and I), [name]Maple[/name] (my other grandma), [name]Ash[/name] (my other grandpa), and Hornbeam (my dad).

@lainy

I’m glad you like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and the blue girls because this tree thing is tough! (But oh-so-cool.)

[name]Lemon[/name]

Awww [name]Lemon[/name], [name]Glad[/name] you liked [name]Linnea[/name]- [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Linnea[/name] is such a pretty combo, soft and pretty yet unexpected. I liked [name]Indigo[/name] too- it is one of my ‘secret’ combos. That said mn are over for me now- I am handing it to my older children to name this hoped for child in the middle- I want that elusive combo of popular (my daughter will choose this type for sure) and quirky (my son will go more for this type). [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Skye[/name] is a particular favourite.