Do you like/mind initial nicknames?

If you name your child [name]Owen[/name] [name]James[/name]…will you mind if he grows up being called “OJ”???

or CJ, PJ, JT, etc???

[name]Do[/name] you care for initial nicknames???

I wouldn’t like my son to be called O.J. because of the negative association with OJ [name]Simpson[/name], but both DH and I like initial nicknames. We are actually naming our son, [name]Theo[/name], off the nickname T.K.

I knew two people in high school with initial nicknames.

One was AJ, but people called him GayJ… So I never liked that.

But the other guys name was [name]Tomas[/name] and his last name started with K, he was always called TK and it suited him heaps better than [name]Tomas[/name]. Although we did call him Teacake…

Anyway, I don’t like them that much, I would just cal him [name]Owen[/name] but I don’t think there’s anything bad about initial nn’s unless they are particularly teasable (GayJ).

Good luck :slight_smile:

Personally, I don’t care for them. Also, [name]Theo[/name] is a really cute name - I’d call him that!

It depends I guess. I don’t like OJ because of the bad connection. I’ve heard DJ more than any other initial nickname and for that reason I don’t really like it. JD reminds me of [name]Jack[/name] [name]Daniels[/name] liquor. CJ, AJ, TJ ect I’m okay with, all though they’re not my favorite nn’s. My daughter is [name]Kira[/name] and our last name starts with a “C”. I thought if she ever played softball ect. the nickname KC would be cute plus it sounds like [name]Casey[/name]. With a name like [name]Kira[/name] there really isn’t nn options beside [name]Kiki[/name] which reminds me of a monkey. We tried using [name]Kiki[/name] a few years ago with her when we were calling our [name]Mia[/name] [name]Mimi[/name] but [name]Kiki[/name] never stuck and now [name]Mia[/name] hates [name]Mimi[/name].

KT sounds like [name]Katie[/name] so [name]Kayla[/name] [name]Truman[/name] would have another nn option instead of just [name]Kay[/name].

I personally prefer full names, in general, but they can be cute. The main concern to me is that the initials don’t sound too cutesy or refer to something else (P.J., D.J., A.C.).

I don’t mind them although if the initials turned out to be O.J. or worse B.J. I would change it straight away!!

LOL at O.J. and B.J.! Avoid B.O., too!

What is the point of choosing a name if you are going to use initials only?

I agree…I’ve never understood it…and I’m trying to come up with name combos that avoid ANY (good or bad) initials. I don’t want my child to be a CJ, JT, BJ, OJ, KT, etc!