Do you like the name Daphne?

I’ve recently been into the name [name]Daphne[/name] but people have been telling me it just reminds them of Scooby-doo. What do you think?

I think it’s beautiful! I know a [name]Daphne[/name], though, which may be why I don’t think of Scooby Doo. A lot of posters on Nameberry love it. I think it’s so elegant! The one drawback for me is the potential “[name]Daffy[/name]” nickname, but even that’s not enough to make me dislike [name]Daphne[/name]! I love it!

You may also like [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Chloe[/name] (super popular), [name]Laurel[/name] ([name]Daphne[/name] means “laurel tree”), or [name]Delphine[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

i adore [name]Daphne[/name]… it’s such a pretty name…
i’ve always loved it. i don’t think of scoobie doo… even though that was my favorite cartoon growing up…
i actually think of the greek myth of [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Apollo[/name].
In greek mythology, [name]Daphne[/name] was a nymph who was supposed to have been very beautiful… She was tranformed into a laurel tree by her father, the river god to protect her from apollo…
[name]Daphne[/name] actually means laurel tree
…it’s a beautiful story… you should look it up.
i [name]ADORE[/name] names of greek origin… particularly mythological ones…
when i envision [name]Daphne[/name], i see a sweet and beautiful child…

[name]Daphne[/name] is very pretty. I wouldn’t worry about the connection with Scooby-doo; is that a bad thing? I don’t think so. xD [name]Delphine[/name] is also gorgeous.

I just love the name [name]Daphne[/name]!

I love the name [name]Daphne[/name] too! My associations are actually with [name]Frasier[/name], so it seems that there’s plenty of variety in connotations. I like that it’s familiar, but still distinctive, and somehow both friendly and intelligent.

I adore this name too! I liked it before nameberry but now I love it and would use it myself. I do think of Scooby Doo but that’s not really a bad thing. She was quite a cool character and the pretty one too! :slight_smile:

I don’t really think it’s tied to Scooby Doo that much. At least since there was another [name]Daphne[/name] on “[name]Frasier[/name],” the associations get mingled and weakened, so the name sounds usable and familiar and not so “like the cartoon?” when people hear it. [name]Even[/name] so, it’s not like [name]Petunia[/name] Pig, and people like [name]Minnie[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name] these days even though they are a mouse and a duck. The only reason anyone now has a clear picture of [name]Daphne[/name] on Scooby Doo is because of the live-action movies that came out a few years ago. I didn’t see it, but I can hardly think they painted her in too negative a light to use the name.

I don’t really like [name]Daphne[/name]. It is not a terrible name, I just don’t like the sound of it, especially a nickname like Daff or [name]Daffy[/name]. It doesn’t need a nickname, but it still sounds Daff-ny to me. I think the ancient associations are beautiful, so I wish I could get on board with this name. As it is right now, it is pretty enough, I guess, just not for me. I prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] - but it took me a while to even consider [name]Phoebe[/name]. I think it has the Feeb part that I don’t like, but I don’t even notice it anymore. [name]Daphne[/name] is soft and similar and yet it hasn’t planted itself in my mind as a beautiful choice. I think [name]Delphine[/name] that someone said is another pretty and similar name. It sounds familiar but unusual, and stylish without being trendy. I would not choose it because of a personal association with someone whose last name is [name]Delphin[/name] and pronounced the same. But anyway, you asked - I personally do not like [name]Daphne[/name] but there isn’t any reason to avoid it if you find it appealing. I am trying to think, maybe you are wondering if there is something you haven’t considered - I can’t think of anything else that might put you off [name]Daphne[/name], and I don’t think the pop culture associations make this name unusable.