Do you like the name Madeleine?

I like the name pronounced “MAD-deh-lyn” but I don’t like the more contemporary spelling “[name]Madelyn[/name]”. And to me [name]Madeline[/name] should be pronounced “MAD-deh-line”.

[name]Will[/name] people have trouble pronouncing or spelling [name]Madeleine[/name]?

I have a friend named [name]Madeleine[/name] with the same pronunciation and she is mistaken for [name]Madeline[/name], but once corrected people usually get it right.

I love [name]Madeleine[/name]! This weekend it’s jumped up farther on my list because I realized it has all the letters of my sister’s MN, just jumbled up ([name]Eileen[/name]–madELEINE…). I seriously considered [name]Eleni[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name], but I don’t think the flow is very good. I still could use [name]Madeleine[/name], nn [name]Eleni[/name]/[name]Leni[/name], but I just like [name]Eleni[/name] more. I’ve thought about seeing if I can fit [name]Madeleine[/name] somewhere else on my list. I really like it.

I haven’t really asked for opinions in the “real world”, but on baby name sites I’ve heard people complain about how much they prefer [name]Madelyn[/name]/[name]Madalyn[/name] because it’s so much more obvious, and that they don’t have a clue how to say [name]Madeleine[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name]? Mad-uh-[name]LANE[/name]? Mad-uh-lyn? I don’t see how it could be so complicated, lol, but I took French for two years and I love studying languages and names. I wrote the name down once at work, and I told my boss how to say it, because I figured it would be a problem, haha, and he was like, “Oh, okay.” It wasn’t his first thought ([name]Madeline[/name] was), but it wasn’t that big of a deal. I don’t think it’d be a huge deal in real life, either…

Good luck!

i love it :slight_smile: i don’t think it would cause more confusion then a “typical” name

[name]Love[/name] the name, but don’t like the popularity right now. I think your pronunciation is more typical so hopefully you will avoid pronunciation difficulties. :slight_smile:

It’s beautiful and classic. Unfortunately, there are a lot of [name_f]Madilyn[/name_f] and Madisons out there. But I am still considering it, despite the tack-on yuckiness that have almost ruined this classic. RECLAIM THE NAME!

One of my favorite names. I think ppl will generally pronounce it the same as [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], rather than -lehn (how I say it) or -layne. The spelling, ppl might reverse the e and the i, but that’s bound to happen. Or sight unseen they might assume it’s [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let it deter you! [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is gorgeous, and the most elegant sophisticated spelling, imo.

While I’m not a huge fan of your chosen pronunciation (Mad-eh-layn is my favorite!) Madeliene is definitely the best spelling! For me, the popularity is a bit of a deterrent, but if you love it, use it!

I actually rather like it, especially with this spelling - but it’s so trendy right now that it borders on overused for me, and might for a few more years. There are so many little Maddys that it falls into the [name_f]Ava[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] camp. I’d use it as a middle name in a heartbeat, though.

I do think you might have to prompt people to get the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation, but eventually they’d catch on.

I [name_u]Love[/name_u] this name and esp like the way you spelled it! [name_m]Way[/name_m] to go!

I’ve always heard this name pronounced Mah-duh-LEHN (rhymes with [name_u]Glenn[/name_u]) rather than with the -lyn ending, but I’m sure you could get people on board with the -lyn sound.

I prefer [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]. I hate the nickname [name_f]Maddy[/name_f].

I love it. My only real issue is the popularity.

Only pronounced line, not lynn

I really don’t like the lynn pronunciation, even with [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]. I feel like it’s hard, at least in my american accent, to get lynn out of leine grammatically. I’d see it and pronounce it with line or lane at the end. [name_m]Even[/name_m] leen would make sense, but not so much lynn. At least to me.
I do think it’s a beautiful name regardless though.

I love the name [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], and pronounce it either as Mad-uh-[name_m]Len[/name_m] (majority of the time) and sometimes Mad-uh-[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]. Sometimes I forgo the ‘uh’ and simply say mad-[name_m]Len[/name_m] or mad-[name_u]Lynn[/name_u].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but esp. as a mn to another lovely [name_m]French[/name_m] first name.