Do you like your name?

I’m a little curious, do you like your given name? What would you change it to?

My name is [name_f]Karissa[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I’ve grown to like it despite the many years of people misspelling it. The only other names I could see myself as are [name_f]Serena[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], or [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] (which is what I possibly would have been named, I’d have been nicknamed [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]-[name_u]Alex[/name_u] :D)

My name is [name_f]Erinn[/name_f], no middle name.

On terms of first name, my name is okay. I can’t imagine being anything but an [name_f]Erinn[/name_f].

I am annoyed by the constant misspellings of my name. It is unusual but not yoonik. People remember it isn’t [name_f]Erin[/name_f], but they give me [name_f]Errin[/name_f] more often than not. I consider it an act of utter disrespect to misspell someone’s name! Especially if it’s on their Facebook profile, you know, right THERE :slight_smile:

[name_f]Erin[/name_f] is dated, but I think [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] is a little fresher. To me it also looks more symmetrical. I like that the i is in the middle of the name and think that looks nice and clean. (As a general, weird rule, I dislike i’s that aren’t in the center of a name).

Not having a middle name is annoying. I think it was a missed opportunity on my parents’ part. Over the years my friends have given me various middle names; the one that my college roommates gave me, for example, is [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]. In my head I’ve always thought of my middle name as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], AKA [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (I think that flows). My Hebrew name is [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], so sometimes I’ve told people it’s [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], but really it’s just [name_f]Erinn[/name_f].

I’ve never imagined myself as anything but an [name_f]Erinn[/name_f]. I once went through my parents’ name book and realized they debated between [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] and [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]. I can have seen myself as a [name_f]Jillian[/name_f], but [name_f]Erinn[/name_f] is much better. Still, would’ve loved that elusive middle name!

I’m just another [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t get me wrong, I love the sound of my name, but it’s always bothered me that it’s so popular. I was always “[name_f]Emily[/name_f] Last Initial” and I was born before the name hit its peak! At one point I was living in a house where 3/5 people were named [name_f]Emily[/name_f]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]‘t even get me started on [name_f]Marie[/name_f]–technically, it has meaning to it (my great-grandmother’s name, handed down through each generation) but many of my friends’ middle names are [name_f]Marie[/name_f] too, so I feel like the meaning is totally lost.

I would have preferred to be [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] (popular now, but not as much a quarter of a century ago), or maybe something like [name_f]Willow[/name_f] (not even ranking when I was born).

My name is [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u].

I love my first name, Hate my middle! [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] feels dated to me, and I’ve never liked unisex names. I can’t imagine myself being anything else. Maybe [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. I could pull off [name_f]Claire[/name_f].

My mother has told me I was almost [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f], which I don’t particularly dislike, its just blah to me. Another possible was [name_u]Jacey[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I could almost see myself being [name_u]Jacey[/name_u], but I think I prefer my actual name. If I could change my middle name, I’d probably just make it [name_u]Lee[/name_u], after my mother. I think [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is nice. :slight_smile:

I really like my name ([name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]). There’s a story behind how I got my name (well, they picked my middle name because it went with my first). I feel like it fits me well. I’ve been giving tons of nicknames by various people in my life, each one holding meaning to that particular person. I like hearing it. My mom did a good job choosing my name. I wouldn’t even know where to begin renaming myself. When I was a kid, someone called me a shortened version of my middle name, and I tried to get it to stick, but it didn’t. Anyhow, I guess if I was forced to change my name, maybe [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. One of us girls was supposed to be named after my grandpa [name_m]Natalino[/name_m], but it never happened, so it would be nice to use that. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a middle name that has been used for generations on both sides of my family. [name_m]Just[/name_m] looking at that name is weird thought, because I know it’s not me lol

My name is [name_f]Petrea[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I love my first name because it is rarely heard on other people, and I cannot imagine having any other name. I don’t mind my middle name - I do feel it’s a bit predictable, but that’s also the reason I like it - and it’s a family name, so I wouldn’t change it for the world.

If I wasn’t [name_f]Petrea[/name_f], my name would be [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], which I don’t mind, but it’s too common for my liking.

Growing up, I wished [name_f]Molly[/name_f] was my nickname instead of my name. It doesn’t bother me now because I meet few people who even know that it is supposed to be a nickname. My siblings have proper names with nicknames, which mattered as a kid, but not really as an adult. I like that people always find it friendly, energetic, and warm, and recommend it as a baby name for that reason.

Ranking-wise: It was in the 120s or so when I was born, familiar but not too common. Since it’s stayed around 100 for decades (but not risen much, hooray!) more Mollies have accumulated and it’s less uncommon than when I was little. But it’s not dated like a name that rose to the top 10 and left it the same decade, and I really like that. I was shocked to see it in a nameberry “names you’d be surprised we’re never in the top 10” list because it has stayed so consistently around 100… Not even close to top 10 popularity!

My name is [name_u]Allison[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a family name and I think it’s beautiful and goes nicely with my FN so I like it. [name_u]Allison[/name_u] is meh, but my parents were also considering [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] (hence my username) and [name_f]Erica[/name_f]. I’m glad they didn’t choose [name_u]Waverly[/name_u], way too unique and whenever I tell people they always laugh. [name_f]Erica[/name_f] I like, but there are no nicknames for [name_f]Erica[/name_f]. I’ve always wanted a nickname and a few people now call me [name_u]Allie[/name_u], which I like, but I always pause for a second being like, “Are you talking to me?” haha. Some other people call me [name_m]Al[/name_m] which I really like - maybe more than [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. But with the [name_m]Al[/name_m] people they just started calling me that while with [name_u]Allie[/name_u] I introduced myself as [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. I don’t think I could introduce myself as [name_m]Al[/name_m], it feels too personal, it’s the sort of nickname people have to get to once they know you long enough. [name_u]Allison[/name_u] is a good name, and it suits me, I just wish I had a nickname.

I love my name! I used to be a bit unsure, but now I can’t really imagine myself being called anything else. I especially love the meaning (Beautiful [name_f]Princess[/name_f]), and the fact my dad basically came up with it when he first saw me is a really cute story too. So yeah, I really like my name, which is (a variation of) [name_f]Jamilla[/name_f] [name_f]Amira[/name_f] (and my dad and grandad’s name as a 2nd middle).

My name is [name_m]Chaplin[/name_m] and living through years of misspelling and mispronunciation has certainly been difficult. I personally wouldn’t change my name for the world but I do love the name [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] (my almost name).

My name is [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I don’t mind it, it flows, but I would prefer it spelled [name_f]Erin[/name_f] to save the trouble. I’ve gone through 18 years having to correct people/my parents correcting people on the spelling, and never finding souvenirs (key chains etc) with my name on it. My middle name isn’t just a filler, it’s to honour my great grandmother [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], so I like it. I’ve grown to love it spelled [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] as people now know how to spell it if I just tell them once, but I never used to.

My name is [name_f]Margarita[/name_f] and I love my name. In Spanish [name_f]Margarita[/name_f] is the version of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], therefor very, very classic (meaning pearl), but it is also the name of the daisy flower. I hate that when I go to English speaking countries, especially the US, people think or say: “like the drink?”. Can you imagine a cocktail ruining your name? I also hate it when my husband’s family call me [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], just because it’s “less exotic”. It’s my name and it’s not exotic at all!

Interesting stories! :slight_smile:

My name came to be when my mom wanted to follow the pattern my sister’s names were (three syllables, two s’s) When I first joined Nameberry, I was a little offended every time I saw a “[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is a filler” comment but I do see where they come from. My aunt’s middle name is [name_f]Marie[/name_f], so that’s where that came from. Growing up, I too always hated never finding my name on a keychain. I found [name_f]Carissa[/name_f], but never [name_f]Karissa[/name_f] :frowning: My mom just preferred the letter K.

I wouldn’t change my name, it’s really stuck to me and it’s wonderfully unique (never met another [name_f]Karissa[/name_f]!) Plus the meaning is nice (loving) but as far as my looks, I look like a [name_f]Serena[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], or [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f].

I’ve always liked my name. It is a gender neutral name with a feminine middle. I like the way my mom and dad picked something where the first middle and last contain similar letters. It just looks complete to me. However, both my first and middle have two syllables and I married someone with a two-syllable last name. Luckily, I use my first name, maiden name and married name, so it has better flow. (two syllables-one syllable-two syllables)

My real name is [name_f]Lola[/name_f].

I like the name [name_f]Lola[/name_f] because at that time it was a well known name but still unique.
The down side are all the name songs. If I go too the gym the guy’s start singing often the stupid song of [name_u]Berry[/name_u] Manylo or the Kings… :frowning:

I think [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]'s got the same problem. It is fun when it happens once but when I happens all the time :frowning:

Also dating with guy’s I always checked their last names because some last names combined with [name_f]Lola[/name_f] make me sound like a ‘‘call girl’’ [name_f]Lola[/name_f] ‘‘Stout’’ [name_f]Lola[/name_f] ‘‘Dapper’’ [name_f]Lola[/name_f] ‘‘Sparks’’ [name_f]Lola[/name_f] ‘‘VanderHoer’’ [name_f]Lola[/name_f] ‘‘Dimond’’. So, I broke some hearts for that reasons in my early twenties and later I learnt too deal with it. :slight_smile:

I love the name [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and it suites me, because of my [name_m]Job[/name_m] what is a more serious job I Change it too Laudine. But my friends at home still call me [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and I never changed it official.

My name is [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

I absolutely love my name, I am only known as [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] by my family, but in school I was [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] (which I dislike) and my younger cousins and my sister when she was little called me [name_f]Toya[/name_f]. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] was chosen by my father as he loved history and thought it was a strong choice. I like that my dad chose [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] because it ties us together. I also like that the name is international so works for us as my mother is Polish Israeli Jew and my father is Irish/Scottish Catholic and whenever I go to visit various relatives in Europe, [name_m]Israel[/name_m] etc nobody struggles with it or says the name differently to what I’m used too. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is my mother’s middle name, variant of my father’s name [name_m]John[/name_m] and just runs through the family tree, it’s simple and sounds good with [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]. I think my folks did a good job naming me and I canny see myself with any other name.

I’m [name_f]Erin[/name_f] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]. I’ve always liked my named and I wouldn’t change it. I feel like it suits me really well. It’s not frilly, but not masculine sounding. I was almost [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]. I am SO thankful I am not an [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. Nothing wrong with the name, but I know at least half a dozen [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]'s. I do wish they had kept my middle name as [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] though. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that name. Nothing wrong with [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], but it’s just kind of boring to me.

The only thing that annoys me about my name is that people constantly spell it the boy’s way. I guess not many people know there is a feminine and masculine form of it. lol. Plus the pronunciation is different, but it’s very subtle, so it’s hard to tell.

My name is Marie Jimena-with-an-X. I’m French, so in France my first name is a timeless classic, just like Mary in the US (whereas Marie is clearly dated). I like it, even though it is everywhere in France, because I find it simple yet elegant, and I am also very relieved that it will never reveal my age - as opposed to some of my friends who have names that are, although beautiful, typical of their generation. However, I just loathe the English pronunciation of it - Muh-ree - it sounds like a cow’s name, or like a tacky old lady’s. It’s just not for me, so whenever I spend time/live in an English-speaking country (which is quite often) I introduce myself as Mary, as I feel that it is the “translation” of my name. My middle name is more interesting (and I am so grateful to my parents for counterbalancing my basic first name with it) - it’s a name honouring my place of birth, Mexico. I love it for that, I love that it’s original, and I also really like the fact that it translates into “Chimène” in French - which is the name of the heroin of a very famous tragedy by the French author Corneille, Le Cid - I really like that literary edge! I try to use my middle name as often as possible - almost all the time in English-speaking countries because it is common practice to include the middle, and whenever it doesn’t feel weird in France, where middles are barely ever used. My only problem with my middle is the pronunciation, which isn’t easy for non-Hispanophones…
I wouldn’t mind changing names, but I wouldn’t know where to start. I really like the other contenders for my first name - Emma and Lou - even though they are clearly not as timeless as Marie, so that’s probably what I would end up choosing if I ever had to undergo a name change.

I’m [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I like certain aspects of it–the very nature-ey, English feel of it really suits me, I think, and I love the ties to [name_m]George[/name_m] Mueller’s orphanage, [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Downs. I also like the imagery I have when I think about its meaning, “ash-tree meadow”. I also love the dainty-[name_m]French[/name_m] feel of [name_f]Marie[/name_f], even though I’m not actually a fan of the name.

However, I’ve long disliked it because I hate how unisex it is, and the reactions to [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. “Oh, not another [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]” “[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]'s such a boring name”, etc. I also hate that invariably my name ends up on those “what were the mean girls you grew up with” posts. All Ashleys can’t be that evil! I hate that the stereotype of my name is either a ditzy, preppy cheerleader, or a mean girl (or maybe even both all in one!). I’d love to have something less unisex, less predictable, and more exciting. I won’t legally change my name, but if I do as much work in Europe as I’m sort of dreaming of, I think it’d just be easier to have a more international (and feminine) name–[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] doesn’t work great in some languages outside of English, especially the unisex factor. I’ve toyed around with taking on my grandma’s MN, [name_f]Grace[/name_f], as the name I’d go by, or just a feminine, semi-timeless, semi-international name that I really like, like [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Anabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Anabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Annabella[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]/[name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], or a variant on my middle name, [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. It’s a long story, but at work I’m almost equally [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] AND [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], so I could easily see me transitioning to just being [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], or, at my next job, saying, “Oh, I know my biological name is [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], but I go by [name_f]Grace[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]/[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]/whatever.” I still haven’t decided, but I’m just not sure how well [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] really would work internationally. I guess we’ll see.

My name is [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]. I don’t have any issues with my name. My first name is in honor of my great-grandmother [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], who was a pretty amazing woman, so that’s neat. For my middle my parents found the oldest name book they could at the library and found the name [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] and both loved it. Since my parents didn’t find out my gender until birth if I wasn’t [name_f]Julia[/name_f], I was going to be [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].