Do You Like Your Name?

As the title says: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your name?

2 Likes

My situation is a bit tricky! [name_u]Ever[/name_u] since I was a kid I was called by one name, so when I moved to [name_u]America[/name_u] and was forced to use my government (a name only chosen so I could appear more American—[name_f]Meg[/name_f]@n) I had trouble adjusting! Ultimately I hate my government name as I don’t like the history of it! But I do love my name, the one I always been called and identified with! Overall I love my name! [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name ([name_f]Danielle[/name_f]) especially is something I’m glad I don’t hate and it’s on official transcript!

2 Likes

I don’t mind it. The LSD and [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] jokes get a bit old after a while so they don’t bother me anymore, and I know my parents didn’t choose my name because of those connections. I wouldn’t have chosen it though.

2 Likes

Objectively, I like my name. I think it has a pretty and feminine sound and I love it’s classical feel and literary connections. The meaning is a little off putting but nothing horrendous and in some translations the meaning is ‘hardworking’ rather than ‘rival’.

but

I just wish it wasn’t so popular. I hate having to go by my lastname initial. I feel like I just blend in with all of the other Em1ly’s. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the nicknames [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] don’t really help differentiate between people especially when you factor in the popularity of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] as well.

Also, people say Em1ly is a ‘mean girl’ name. I’ve genuinely had people roll their eyes when I tell them my name as if to say ‘ughh another one’ Which is kind of extreme in my opinion :joy: I’m a nice person, just because I have the name of someone that was mean to you doesn’t mean i’m horrible, it’s not a genetic trait that you inherit when the name Em1ly is bestowed on you. I wouldn’t want a super unique name but it would be nice to feel a little more individual sometimes.

That being said, I can always find a keychain with my name on so that’s a huge plus :joy:

6 Likes

What?! I always thought it’s a shy, cute girl name :joy:

5 Likes

no :joy: I think most people hear it and think of someone nasty like the school bully/mean girl :((

3 Likes

I don’t like my name at all. I’ve never felt like it was right for me, but I don’t think I would change it officially, because it’s all I’ve ever gone by. I don’t like feeling as though I am one of many.

4 Likes

I’m meh about my name.

It was a name that was very common in the 70s and 80s but was fading during the early 90s (when I was born). So there were always loads of celebrities with my name growing up but I never really encountered many in real life. I’d say it was pretty much 50/50 whether I’d find my name on a key ring type name. It always felt a little dated and very American. I prefer to go by my nickname (a shorter version of my actual name) as I think it’s prettier and will be more age appropriate when I get older. I like the history of my name and if you get down to the origin and the original variation, I love it. The meaning of my name also really suits me.

My middle name is [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and I don’t really like it. It was a very popular middle name choice during the 80s and 90s in the U.K. and I would say at least 30% of girls I know have the same middle name. It’s just very overused and I have an aversion to popular names. I also didn’t like it because my older sisters use to bully me as a kid and call me (first name) [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-wees the bed and they still occasionally say it nowadays despite the fact that I’m nearly 30 and they’re almost in their 40s :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t mind my name ([name_f]Jemma[/name_f]) but I can’t say I love it, although it does suit me. I like how uncommon it is, even in the UK I’ve only met one other person with this spelling and it’s gone off the charts completely in the last few years. I do like having a different spelling, but it is a pain having to correct people all the time, and some people seem to refuse to spell it right even when they know how it’s spelt (facebook posts, emails etc. I constantly get people spelling it wrong even though it’s right in front of them). I wouldn’t change it though, firstly because I’m so indecisive, I don’t think I’d ever find a name I was completely happy with, and secondly, because it would be a pain for my family and friends, and would upset my parents.
I don’t have a middle name! It’s always really annoyed me, but I can’t be bothered with adding one in now anyway.

2 Likes

I absolutely love my name! I didn’t like having other Elizabeths in my class, but I don’t think it would have been an issue if we’d gone by different nicknames. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is also my mom’s patron saint, my grandmas middle name, and the name of one of my dad’s cousins. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is my other grandma’s first name. I think it’s really special to have that connection to so many family members.

3 Likes

I’m pretty meh about my name. I don’t love it, but it’s fine. The part that bothers me is that it is definitely a late-'90s/early '00s name. I wish I had a name that wouldn’t be forever tied to that era. But I still do like my name because I appreciate its meaning and the reason my mother chose it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love my name and its meaning - love. Although when I was younger, I would sometimes wish I had a different name because it gets confused with [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] a lot, which I don’t like.

@MargotAbeline I’ve known a lot of girls with the same name as you. Some were nice and some were b*tches, so I never know what to expect :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m an [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and I dislike it. I usually go by [name_f]Millie[/name_f] which is a nickname of mine growing up, [name_f]Rose[/name_f](mn), or [name_m]Nemo[/name_m](a nn I had due to having CP like the fish). Though I usually get compliments of my name still.

@MargotAbeline I can relate to the whole “everyone thought I was going to be a mean girl” but I was(still am) too awkward and shy to even talk to people.

And when people were calling out a different [name_f]Emily[/name_f], I would automatically turned my head, to see it was a different [name_f]Emily[/name_f] that the person was calling to.

3 Likes

I like my full name, but not my nickname. And sometimes even my full name is difficult despite being so familiar!
I’m a [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]… only not spelled that way at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents meant for me to use my whole name, but my grandfather couldn’t remember it and was calling me [name_u]Kay[/name_u], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], etc. for the first two days despite the fact that I was named for and had the same spelling as his mother. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom broke and said “[name_m]Just[/name_m] call her [name_f]Cathy[/name_f]!” Unfortunately, that stuck.
[name_f]Cathy[/name_f] is just undeniably a “boomer” name. Like, the youngest other [name_f]Cathy[/name_f] I know is still 30+ years older than me. I’m grateful not to have been just another [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f] in my classes, but having an old name is a pain. All the adults say things like “that’s my mom’s name” or “that’s the principals name” and then somehow expect you to ACT like an adult because you have an adult name. That’s not fun at 8.
As an adult, not going to school with all the same people, I’m finally back to [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and I LOVE it. Now the problem… no one can spell it. People ask, but they only listen for the k or c at the front and if there’s an e on the end. But mine has a whole buck of strangeness in the middle! It’s an accepted spelling, and an old one, but no one can handle it. In fact, I almost didn’t get a job because HR assumed my name spelling (and thus email) instead of copy pasting the right way.
… I guess long way of saying yes, with caveats? And also the reason I don’t like nn as full names… my parents never would have dreamed what they thought was a cute obvious nn was going to be so frustrating!

4 Likes

My name is alright. Growing up I felt it was lackluster and plain, and wanted something with a little more flare. However, nowadays I generally get positive commentary on it, so I guess not everyone finds it boring.

It doesn’t have the most melodic sound when paired with my last name, but it mixes nicely with my middle name. I suppose we take the good along with the not so great.

A good aspect of it is that it’s quite international. [name_f]English[/name_f], Spanish, [name_u]French[/name_u], Russian and Portuguese speakers can all pronounce it and believe it’s originally from their culture, which is fun.

2 Likes

Yes and no. I love my name ([name_f]Helen[/name_f]) in the sense that I share it with a woman whom I adored (my grandma), and I do think its a beautiful, elegant, classy name with a long and rich history and a sweet poetical element.

But. I also do not feel like my name “fits” me. I don’t feel anything like a [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and I’m not really as attached to the name for myself. No one outside of a professional setting calls me by it (I’ve always gone by a slew of mostly unrelated nicknames with family and friends) and its always jarring to hear someone just casually refer to me by my name.

3 Likes

I love my name, [name_u]Sidney[/name_u]. It gets spelled S-Y-D-N-E-Y a lot because y’s are trendy or something, but I just say “I’m [name_u]Sidney[/name_u] with an ‘i’.” Other people have it worse than me, so correcting one letter doesn’t bother me. Mainly, though, I go by [name_m]Sid[/name_m] (nearly never spelled S-Y-D) and people spell that phonetically for the most part. As for my middle name, [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], I’ve had it spelled L-U-C-E-E-L by some person (who’s first language, I am sad to say, was [name_f]English[/name_f]) when I was little. But people tend to spell my name right after I tell them “[name_u]Sidney[/name_u] with a ‘i’, and [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] like [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] Ball from ‘I [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]’.”

2 Likes

Yes and no. I think my name fits me perfectly but I hate how common it is. Instead of changing my own name, I’d just rather that all the other Abbys change theirs! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I saw this and wanted to join. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is in my username, and I’ve always had a love hate relationship with it. When I was younger I absolutely HATED it, so much so I didn’t even like saying out loud. Around age 5 or 6 I met a few other girls who had my name and loved it, so that made it a little more likable for me. Now that I’m older, I can accept it but I don’t really like the spelling. I want to change it in a few years. People spell it wrong all the time but it doesn’t really bother me (unless they spell it with an -ay ending, that annoys me). I also don’t like that there’s no history/heritage behind it, at least not in my family. I was named after a character from a sci-fi show I have never seen before. And of course anyone who first meets me thinks I’m named after [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] Lohan. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_u]Gael[/name_u], which is also my mother’s and grandmother’s middle name, but they have different spellings. So, I guess my name is alright, I’m just not super in love with it.

fun fact: before my parents decided on my current name, I was going to be named :sparkles: S K E L E T O R A​:sparkles:. No, I’m not joking. I actually would’ve liked that better, because it’s edgy and I could’ve gone by [name_f]Tori[/name_f] for short.

2 Likes

People always say that about [name_u]Abby[/name_u] too! I’ve had someone tell me that to my face when I introduced myself…

5 Likes