Do you tend to like classic or uncommon names?

I’ve realized that while I do like uncommon names like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Temperance[/name_f] and [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] I favor more classic and traditional like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] for my future children.

What about you?

I love uncommon names in theory, but I know I probably won’t be able to use them for my own children. I live in a non-English speaking country where a lot of those names just won’t work, either in terms of spelling or pronunciation. I like the idea of using a more unconventional name in the middle/second middle spot and using a more traditional and classic first name.

That’s what I plan to do. Some of the uncommon names I like just wouldn’t be pronounced correctly in english. but I love them so much.

I like a mix of both! I probably lean more towards uncommon, but I also love classic names like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Most the names on my favorites list, though, are pretty unique.

There are so many classics here - common in English-speaking countries - that I can’t use. I cry over that.

What I like? Classic’s. But where it comes to my country… My daughter isn’t going to be another [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Maria[/name_f] - or God forbid [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. Or even [name_f]Rebekka[/name_f]…

So I guess you could say a mix of uncommon and classic. I’ll probably lean toward names like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_m]Oskar[/name_m]… But [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is on my list x)

I like traditional names that are not currently over used the most. I also like names that allow for different nicknames so the bearer has some choice in what they called later (without having to formally change their name).

Some of my favorites are:

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

[name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Vincent[/name_m],

I prefer names that are classic, yet uncommon. While [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] are lovely, I prefer [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], and [name_f]Hester[/name_f]. The only reeeeally classic name that I like is [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

I agree with [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. :slight_smile: I tend to like classic yet uncommon first names with a classic middle and a more out-there middle.

I tend to have a mixture. I like some truly classic names, like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but I like a lot of other popular names that have eons of history, too ([name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], etc.) that are currently in style. But I also really love some obscure names (at least, fairly obscure in the US). Like [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] and [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and [name_m]Boone[/name_m] for boys, and [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliska[/name_f] and [name_f]Arianne[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] for girls. I usually try to pair a popular/classic FN with something more interesting in the MN spot, and if I pick something more obscure up front, I try to make sure they at least have a MN that balances that out, or at least a nn that makes it more usable (for example, [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is my [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] combo–[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is probably even more out there than [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], but at least [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] has the nns [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] that are more mainstream that I can see her liking if she hated her full name). I want anything but a boring/filler combo. My name is [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. You can’t get much more boring or filler, and my parents picked it because it was “the only thing that sounded good” that they could think of. So I always try to put the three things into my favorite names that my parents didn’t give me that I wish they had:

1. a family name/tie
  2. something that’s not boring/filler
  3. something that has a bit more thought into it than “oh, [name_f]Marie[/name_f] sounds nice!” (There is a ton of thought and meaning put into each of my combos for this reason alone!)

But yes–I have some incredibly common and classic names on my list, but I also have names that have never made it to the top 1000 list, and may never make it there.

I like classic names. Uncommon names are ok if they are easy to pronounce and don’t look ridiculous but I would never use one myself.

Oh, I definitely prefer classic names. I don’t mind some unusual names but they are not my personal taste.

I like some of each.

There are names I KNOW are classic/stylish/timeless that I just cannot like. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Anna[/name_f]… so classic. So… not me. At all. I do not like them, and I have TRIED.

They’re no less classic than some names I do like: [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Katharine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

And there’re plenty of uncommon names I love and some that are pretty familiar/loved in my extended family/culture but would still get “that’s weird” from a lot of people. A weird name may be somebody’s grandma. :wink: It’s not like everybody was named a classic English name in the past.

I don’t really like many classic names at all, that I would actually use at least. Maybe [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] // [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. That’s it. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] probably wouldn’t be on my list though if it wasn’t my dad’s name. There are more names I can tolerate like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] {I’d prefer [name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f]} or [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and so on but I’d never use them.

Oh for boys… I don’t like any of the [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]/[name_u]James[/name_u]/[name_m]Harry[/name_m]/[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]/[name_m]William[/name_m] crowd that are soooo popular and timeless/classic here in Australia. Nope. None of those.

I like a lot of boys names that are old but not the ones that are hailed as most timeless. You know how people say “I like timeless, solid, real names, nothing too old or heavy or hard to explain or spell”? Yeah, I like the ones that are too old/heavy/hard to explain or spell. But I don’t do kreative.

I usually prefer names more on the uncommon/unusual side. There are some classic names I like too of course, but I prefer names that haven’t been so overdone (especially for the first name).

A little of both. I would say my taste is actually quite eclectic, but just because I can appreciate a name doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll want to use it. The names I’m usually most drawn to are familiar, yet uncommon, and often a bit vintage. For actual use, a name needs to mean something to me, more than just having a pleasing sound.

I prefer uncommon names but always prefer they be easily spelled. Best is when they are paired with a “plain [name_f]Jane[/name_f]” middle name, or can have a “normal” sounding nickname.
That said, I love hippie middles (moonchild, lavender, honeyblossom) but not sure if I would ever go that “out there”.

If it gives off a hobbity vibe, thats my favourite.

I am not sure I like either. Some days I like the classics like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] other days I groan at yet another [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I probably only like 1/5 birth announcement names. Other days I see unusual names like Mordakai [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] and think really? Sometimes the background story helps if that name has history in the family or culture etc. I have to admit to the crime of being a frankennamer :wink: :slight_smile:
I love my Sophira ([name_f]Sophie[/name_f]) and Avaleigh ([name_f]Ava[/name_f]). I read all the time NBs don’t sit well with mishmash names or particular spellings but I don’t go by rules if I like how the name sounds and how it looks written down - it gets my tick (they are my only “rules”)

I love romantic, feminine, classic, mythological, astronomical, weird, uncommon names… all of it. I just can’t decide so I guess I’ll mix it latter when I have children. :slight_smile:

I love uncommon names. I grew up being the only one of my name that I knew, particularly in my gender and that kind of became a significant part of my identity. Like some others have mentioned It is key to me that a name has meaning.