Do you think Brendan is dated?

just wondering if people see this name as an “Irish classic” or late '90’s dated?

Thanks!

Definitely an Irish classic, and a saint’s name, too!

Yeah- the [name]Saint[/name] connection is a bonus :slight_smile:

I don’t know if being a saint’s name will protect it from being seen as trendy: [name]Aidan[/name] is a saint, too. But I don’t think [name]Brendan[/name] is dated so much as kind of lost amongst all the [name]Brandon[/name]/[name]Braden[/name]/[name]Braeden[/name]/[name]Braydon[/name]/[name]Braiden[/name]/[name]Braedon[/name] names.

I actually don’t mind [name]Brendan[/name] (or [name]Aidan[/name], for that matter, as long as its spelled right) but I think some other Irish names would stand out more in the pack.

I see [name]Brendan[/name] as more of a classic than dated, and I’ve always thought it has more character than similar names Br- names like [name]Brandon[/name] or [name]Brennan[/name].

When I was growing up, I enjoyed going to my grandma’s church because one of the members had painted a mural featuring St. [name]Brendan[/name] the [name]Navigator[/name] in the children’s [name]Sunday[/name] school area. It captured my imagination and has left me with a real soft spot for the name.

I really like [name]Brendan[/name]. I like it better than other Br- names and I definitely see it as a classic.

I agree with pp. It’s classic!

I think it’s dated. I know a lot of Brendans and Brandons and most are in their early twenties. It’s certainly not unusable- I’d much rather meet a little [name]Brendan[/name] than [name]Zayden[/name]- but I do see it as a bit 90s, fitting in with 2-syllable -n names like [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Jason[/name], and [name]Kevin[/name].

I do believe in the idea of a “modern classic”- a name that’s not popular historically like [name]James[/name] or [name]Emma[/name] but well-used and lasting enough to become a sort of everyman name. I think [name]Brendan[/name] may qualify for that, along with names like [name]Samantha[/name] and [name]Jason[/name].

I agree with most of the pp’s. It’s more classic to me than dated. I see [name]Brandon[/name] as more dated, but I have known relatively few Brendans and I think it’d be refreshing to see.

Great! Thanks, all :slight_smile:

I think its a classic name. But if using a popular name bothers you, where I live (a lot of Irish) [name]Brendan[/name] is very popular. There are 2 in my daughter’s class, and I constantly hear [name]Brendan[/name] everywhere. However, it is certainly classic, not dated.