Do you think it's tacky to name a child after a month they were NOT born in?

Some celebrity examples include Avril Lavigne (NOT born in April) and August Brooksbank
(NOT born in August).

• No, it doesn’t matter if the child was born in the month they were named after. Month names function as regular names just fine.
  • Yes, it’s weird and tacky. You should only name a kid a month name if they were born in that month.

0 voters

I don’t think it’s tacky, but it has always seemed a little weird to me. I would never hold it against a person with a month name, I just wouldn’t choose a month name for my own child.

2 Likes

no, why would it be? people name their kids names with meanings like “fair skinned” or “red hair” even if it doesn’t apply

my middle name is august but i was born in march. i’ve never gotten any comments on it and i love it

however, some names may be a little weirder than others. for example, April, June, August, and May are well established as names. however, other months aren’t - so if you used something like October, people may assume that the kid was born in October

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s tacky. I might even prefer it to naming a child after the month they were born in.

3 Likes

Goodness gracious, no. I also don’t feel names have to match our ancestry or that the meaning of names has to match the child. That literal-mindedness annoys me.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think it was even a little weird! I agree with a pp that a lot of people have names where the meaning doesnt apply to them.
I love the names [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]October[/name_u], and I’d actually rather use them on children who weren’t born in those months!

Yeah I think it’s weird. For a first name I’d say they have to be born in that month, I’d maybe make an exception for June and I don’t think Mae counts (although May does). For a middle I think April, May, June, and August are fine if they aren’t born in the month but for any of the other month names, because they are used much less often, I’d find it funny if they weren’t born in the month of their middle name. I think the naming community is kinda biased when it comes to this issue and in my experience, most people who aren’t in this community, find it tackier than we do.

1 Like

if anything, i think it might be just slightly tackier to name a kid after a month they were born in! also, i think that april, may, june, august have pretty much crossed the boundary into “normal name” status. if i met someone named after one of the other months, i might wonder whether they were born in that month, but i wouldn’t judge the parents for it in any way.

5 Likes

No, I wouldn’t assume someone with a month name was born in that month. I might wonder if the month had some other significance to their parents though.

I think it’s fine for common month names, like [name_f]April[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u]. But it might be a little odd to meet an [name_u]October[/name_u] born in [name_u]February[/name_u]. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

It really depends on the name

Definitely not. I honestly think it’s weirder when they were born in that month.

I actually think it’s tacky/too matchy to name a child after the month they are born in.

1 Like

Personally, I think the opposite is true. I find it odd when [name_u]August[/name_u] was born in [name_u]August[/name_u] - that seems tacky to me, not the other way around.

I don’t think it’s tacky either way, as someone who adores month names. If someone wants to name their child after their birth month, it makes sense, but I don’t think it’s an absolute requirement either.

Tbh I think naming a kid AFTER their birth month would be even tackier

I was named after a month that I was not born in and i have never appreciated this.

I don’t think it’s tacky, maybe that month has a special meaning to the parents. Month names like [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]August[/name_u], and [name_f]April[/name_f] are all pretty common too, so it already isn’t that strange to meet a [name_f]May[/name_f] born in [name_u]March[/name_u].

I feel like it would be weirder to be named after the month I really was born in, to be honest! That seems too matchy-matchy!

I don’t know which is weirder, naming a baby after the month they were born in, or naming a baby after a month they were not born in. When you really break it down, both options feel a little weird. The first seems unremarkable and unimaginative, the second is just perplexing. I think month names are one of those things that you can think to death, but in practice, it’s never that weird, and definitely not tacky.

You know what is tacky? Naming a child after the place they were conceived.

2 Likes