Do you think Sophie is a different name than Sophia?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

We’re trying to decide between [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] but I’m hesitant that [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] isn’t considered it’s own entity from the very popular [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]…

We love them both

Any insight is greatly appreciated!:slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a complete name. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is a different variation of the name.

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] definitely is its own name, but I bet a lot of people would mistakenly call her [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a complete name. It’s the [name_m]French[/name_m] variant of [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and not a nickname. Regional variation doesn’t make it less of a name. I’ve never known a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] who went by [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and I don’t think anyone would assume she was a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. Any [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] I’ve known has been just [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]!

I only know [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]'s (not Sophias) and they’ve never had issues.
I really like it as a name :slight_smile:

I very much differentiate them, actually. I adore [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], while I’m not so keen on [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. It’s definitely a complete name!

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a different name to me - they have different vibes!

They have different vibes and distinct roots. But about half of the Sophias I know go by [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] at least some of the time. One [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] that I know finds this annoying as she has to be [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] H. to distinguish herself from [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]-called-[name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

I don’t think I’ve ever met a [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] whose full name is [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. One of my friends is named [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and she has complained that people do assume her full name is [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

I think they’re separate names in that I wouldn’t attach a last initial to [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] if a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] was present in the same classroom. I actually danced on a team with a [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] for a few years and they weren’t confused for one another (they were also 6 or 7 years apart in age though). However, I do think that the names are similar enough that [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] blends in with girls named [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

I personally prefer [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] to [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is very much a complete name, and I prefer it to [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. However, I do think people will conflate the two and/or mistakenly call her [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a complete name in itself. While I’m sure there are some Sophias that go by [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], they are technically separate names.

Of course they are very similar, and one is a form of the other, but I definitely wouldn’t think [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] was a nickname for [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I know lots of [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]’s, and only a few [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]’s. Personally, I prefer [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], but both are lovely names.

I have never known a [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] to be nicknamed [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], so I guess [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] stands on its own. I see the names as worlds apart, however, [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] being sophisticated, classic and beautiful. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is cutesy.

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] form of [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], it’s like the relation between [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f]. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] originally had its American wave of popularity over 100 years ago when [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] was rarely used. However, the tables have turned. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is in the top ten nowadays whereas [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a bit down there. In my grade, there are two Sophias and one [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. I have a class with two older Sophias in it, it’s certainly the more common of the two.

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are both on my short list! Great taste in names :wink:

I personally see them as distinct names, as pp said like [name_f]Marie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Maria[/name_f] they are language variants rather than nicknames. I prefer the [name_m]French[/name_m] “-ie” variations :slight_smile: I find the vibe more relaxed and less polished - just my style. OTOH, my husband sees “-ie” endings as incomplete names when an “-a” ending is available. We probably won’t be able to agree about it, so [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and a few others are probably not going to make the final cut :frowning: