Do you think that any of your names are too weird or foreign

I have forgotten about some names as they sounded too foreign… :frowning: but i have many others to replace them so :smiley:

From my lists, [name]Dimitri[/name] (or [name]Dmitri[/name]) and [name]Natalia[/name] are both very Russian and neither I nor my SO have any Russian heritage (that we know about.) So I’m a little afraid to use either one and especially not both! I know these examples aren’t too out there, but there aren’t many completely foreign sounding names that I love.

No. I wouldn’t have names that were too foreign to be real possibilities for future children on my top list.
Those names might be on a guilty pleasure list.

Annaleise
[name]Gerda[/name]
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Heidi[/name]
[name]Dagny[/name]
[name]Solveig[/name]

[name]Solveig[/name] and [name]Dagny[/name]… swoon.

The only one I go back and forth on is [name]Corisande[/name], which is unfortunately my absolute favorite. I am just not sure if it will be useable when the time actually comes!! There are a bunch of Spanish and Japanese names I like, but wouldn’t use due to my lack of any connection to those cultures. Examples like [name]Marisol[/name] and [name]Midori[/name].

I have Lumi on the top of my girl’s list. It works where I live in Finland, but not sure if it’s too weird for the US and UK where I’m from and where we’ll probably go back to. DP is worried it’s too strange and she’ll be called Looney Lumi.

I also have some names that would work in the UK but not sure if they’ll work in Finland: [name]Azure[/name], [name]Ianthe[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Delphi[/name]. Once I get a shortlist, I’ll check the meanings and pronunciations with some Finns to make sure they’re not a problem.

I found a Croatian name I liked [name]Naida[/name], but it means something rude in Finnish so I can’t even consider it.

I have [name]Merle[/name] - for a girl, pronounced almost like mare-luh

And for boys there are tons of names I love such as Asbjørn, Esben, Villads, which I don’t think will work in the US like they do in Denmark, where I’m from. My SO is from the US, so these are all no-go.

In between the two languages I like [name]Viggo[/name], which is Nordic, but could definitely work in English as well.

No, but I do not stray too far from traditional. I do love [name]Zipporah[/name], but could never see using it

[name]Vladimir[/name] is the one that gives me pause. But then again, if I plan on using [name]Leopold[/name], why can’t I use [name]Vladimir[/name]?

My husband nixed some of the names on my list because while they fit in with my side of the family (Russian Jewish), his family would not be accepting of them (English). Funny thing: our niece married an Italian man, and their first child is due in [name]April[/name]. His name? [name]Giuseppe[/name]. I love it. I’m glad [name]MIL[/name] is no longer alive, because would have been screaming her head off about a “foreign” name. [name]Giuseppe[/name] will be named for his paternal grandfather. I’m waiting to hear what his middle name will be, if they give him one.

Names hubby nixed: [name]Marina[/name], [name]Ariel[/name], [name]Azariah[/name], [name]Judah[/name], [name]Shoshana[/name], [name]Jonah[/name].

I’ve discovered that i love french names, but neither myself nor my boyfriend have any french ties that we know of, and both of our last names are very Scottish, so a definitively French name might seem unusual. I’ve got fair skin and auburn hair, and it’s kinda funny when people (usually older, at work) hear my whole name and joke, “Well I think you might just be a little bit Scottish /irish, huh?”
I might still use one of those french names, but i would be a million times more inclined to do so if my bf had french ancestry.

I don’t find my top names too anything, but I’m sure lots of other people do! I do have a guilty pleasure list however. Those will be used for characters in novels and pets. Kyllikki and [name]Lucifer[/name] I’m looking at you!