Dock?

I recently came upon a vintage baby boy’s list, found the name [name_m]Dock[/name_m] and am intrigued! It used to rank in the US in the early 1900s-1940s. What do you berries think? Too much like [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] or a boat dock? Kind of cute? I just think it’s cute in a sturdy, dorky kind of way. (Not naming a real baby at the moment so no worries!)

Also, which of these names do you think sounds good with [name_m]Dock[/name_m] if any?
Other boy names I love/possible brothers:
[name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Ira[/name_m], [name_m]Casimir[/name_m], [name_m]Wells[/name_m], Zigmund/Ziggy, Callum/Cal, [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], Fennec/Fenn, Indigo/Indy

(It’s been awhile! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] everyone is well! :smiling_face:)

2 Likes

I quite like it. We’re a water/boating family so I definitely get a more harbour, boats docking up vibe however if you spelt it Doc I’d naturally think doctor or one of the seven dwarves or Buggy’s Bunny saying “what’s up Doc?” :see_no_evil::joy:

With your boys names I’m loving it with Ronan.

2 Likes

I think it’s kind of cute and cool - a bit like [name_m]Mack[/name_m] / [name_m]Mac[/name_m].

It does remind me of a boat dock (but then, [name_m]Harbour[/name_m] is a cool name so :person_shrugging: ) and [name_m]Doctor[/name_m], but I actually like the spelling [name_m]Doc[/name_m] better (maybe it’s the Cannery [name_f]Row[/name_f] association?)

I think these sound good:

[name_m]Fenn[/name_m] and [name_m]Dock[/name_m]
[name_m]Dock[/name_m] and [name_m]Ira[/name_m]
[name_m]Zigmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Dock[/name_m]

I also think these would be cool:

[name_m]Caradoc[/name_m] and [name_m]Zigmund[/name_m] ‘Dock and Ziggy’

[name_m]Theodoric[/name_m] and [name_m]Zigmund[/name_m] '‘Dock and Ziggy’/ [name_m]Theodoric[/name_m] and [name_m]Casimir[/name_m] ‘Dock and Cam’ / ‘Dock and Miro’

1 Like

I don’t reaaally see the appeal? I like word names (for others- they’re not my personal style but I find them fun!) but the point is usually that the word is something nice, and I don’t see anything particularly attractive about a dock :sweat_smile: I don’t really think of doc / doctor when I hear it, but I did immediately think that it would have a lot of teasing potential because it’s rather easy to turn the o in [name_m]Dock[/name_m] into an i.

From your list, I’d like it with [name_m]Wells[/name_m], [name_m]Fennec[/name_m] and [name_f]Indy[/name_f]!

I’m not too keen tbh — it just makes me think of docking dog’s tails which isn’t the best association. Also as @tallemaja pointed out, it would be very easy to switch the o for an i.

Stylistically, I think [name_m]Dock[/name_m] & [name_m]Ira[/name_m] or [name_m]Dock[/name_m] & [name_m]Wells[/name_m] would pair well together.

[name_f]My[/name_f] main associations are “what’s up, Doc?” from Bugs [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] and the dwarf in [name_f]Snow[/name_f] White. I’ve also heard it as a nickname for [name_m]Doctor[/name_m]. I prefer the [name_m]Doc[/name_m] spelling, I think. It’s kind of cute in an old man way, but I prefer it as a nickname. I can see it fitting with [name_m]Ira[/name_m] especially!

In my family, there are a few Docs…short for Dominic…so it does feel usable to me, especially as a nickname.

I think it could use a revival, why not? It’s cute for a little boy and I think it sounds handsome- maybe even a bit distinguished- on a grown man.

I think it could work well with any of the names on your list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite would be [name_m]Ira[/name_m] :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m not a fan. It reminds me too much of a boat dock and doctors.

For me it was more thinking of the seven dwarfs or bugs bunny. I’d pass personally.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brain instantly went to go sit on the dock of the bay, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but something that might occur in other people. It does sound great though, super grounded! I wouldn’t use it because it’s nms but I think it could work.

Both came to mind immediately. I don’t love the former, but quite like the boat dock connection.

I do prefer [name_m]Dock[/name_m] as a middle name or nickname. [name_m]Caradoc[/name_m] nn [name_m]Doc[/name_m] was a great suggestion. [name_m]Cadoc[/name_m] and [name_m]Madoc[/name_m] also come to mind. For a more eclectic option - [name_m]Murdoch[/name_m].

I think [name_m]Fenn[/name_m] and [name_m]Fennec[/name_m] are perfect brothers for [name_m]Dock[/name_m]. [name_f]Indy[/name_f] and [name_m]Dock[/name_m] are quite fun too.

Overall, kinda liking [name_m]Dock[/name_m]. Don’t know that I’d go for it personally, but I don’t think it’s unusable or terrible.

I think of the term “to dock” meaning to subtract something.