Dodie

Thoughts on [name_f]Dodie[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it could be a stand alone name? Liking [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] at the moment.

I really like [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] - both as a standalone and a nickname for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is sweet, although Iā€™m generally more of a bold-middle sort of a person!

1 Like

Love [name_f]Dodie[/name_f], and I think it would make an awesome standalone. [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is sweet.

1 Like

Dodie is super cute and edgy. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]! :blush:

1 Like

Itā€™s nice, although not my favourite. [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is sweet.

1 Like

It makes me think of ā€œdodoā€, as in the extinct bird. [name_f]My[/name_f] aunt is named this & hates it a lot ā€” She goes by L!ly.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of [name_f]Dodie[/name_f]. It doesnā€™t sound very sophisticated to me. It also reminds me of Dodi Fayed (the man who was killed alongside [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f]). I would suggest using it as a nickname for something like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f].

1 Like

When hearing the name [name_f]Dodie[/name_f], I think it can be a standalone. But I really donā€™t know if I like the look of how its spelledā€¦ Iā€™d probably use [name_f]Dottie[/name_f], and use it as a nn to [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f].

2 Likes

Normally Iā€™m not a fan of using a longer name just to get to a nickname, but in this case I think [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/Dorothea with nn [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] works better. I havenā€™t really heard the nn [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] before so it sort of puzzled me at first. I donā€™t think it sounds bad, but itā€™s pretty unusual compared to [name_f]Dot[/name_f] or [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] so having a fuller first name would be helpful.

Also, itā€™s hard for me to imagine an adult named [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] so it might be nice for her to be able to use [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/Dorothea on resumes and in professional settings. But again, Iā€™m not really familiar with the nickname so that could be why it sounds strange to me.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Dodie[/name_f]. It has a deep and interesting sound

1 Like

I like this name, but I donā€™t think it can stand alone. I canā€™t imagine a grown woman named [name_f]Dodie[/name_f]. The name is super cuteā€¦ but I can only see it on a little girl.

2 Likes

When I hear [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] I also think of the YouTuber.

7 Likes

The ā€œdodoā€ thing is the only thing I dislike about the name. And Iā€™d worry people would constantly be asking if itā€™s short for something. Iā€™m an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] who only goes by [name_f]Liz[/name_f] so I hate to give my child a longer name they wonā€™t use. If I like [name_f]Dodie[/name_f], Iā€™d rather just name them that.

I listened to [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_m]Clark[/name_m] and Iā€™m kind of entranced with her sound. She doesnā€™t have the most talent but I do like her vibe. Iā€™d say itā€™s a positive association and makes the name seem more wearable.

2 Likes

I actually came across the name because I want to honor a [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] to [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] but itā€™s such a mouth full. Iā€™m an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that only goes by [name_f]Liz[/name_f] and I donā€™t want to give my child a long (even though beautiful) name that wonā€™t be used. I donā€™t really like [name_f]Dot[/name_f] or [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] or [name_f]Dolly[/name_f]. They seem more juvenile to me. I have an easier time imagining [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] at different ages.

1 Like

Totally get what you mean about [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] vs [name_f]Liz[/name_f]. It does seem silly to assign a long name to a child if you intend to only call her by the nickname. Thatā€™s one of the things I love about my daughterā€™s short name ([name_f]Ada[/name_f]) and DH and I plan to give any other kids names that donā€™t really have nicknames. If you like [name_f]Dodie[/name_f], I say go for it! Itā€™s a great way to honor a [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] for sure.

Iā€™ve never heard of [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you found a positive association with the name! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dodie is sweet, and [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is a lovely combo! I tend to agree with you about just putting what you want to call them on the birth certificate. There are some exceptions to that for me, but I think [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] works fine. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was also the singer, but for me sheā€™s a positive association.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]/Dot but thereā€™s something about the long ā€˜oā€™ in [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] that rubs me the wrong way. [name_f]Dodo[/name_f] too. It sounds like an insult or something?

1 Like

Is it pronounced [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]? I can only see it at [name_f]Doe[/name_f] [name_f]Dee[/name_f]ā€¦ if [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is the pronunciation then Iā€™d spell it [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] to avoid confusion. Iā€™m all for just naming children what youā€™ll call them so you can definitely name them a ā€œnicknameā€ name instead of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. But Iā€™d use [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] over [name_f]Dodie[/name_f]. [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is so cute!

Its interesting- not a name I have heard so I find it refreshing actually. It reminds me of a doe as opposed to a dodo. It also reminds me of the word ā€œdoteā€ which I think is cute.

However, it leans itself to word associations and sounds like a sound to me too much.

I think it would use it as a nickname instead of a stand alone name so she would have options or in case she outgrows it because it also sounds cutesy.

I donā€™t hate it but Iā€™m not a huge fan of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] to begin with although I did recently find out it was my husbandā€™s great grandmotherā€™s name and she was an amazing person so trying to like it.

1 Like

Although I prefer it as a nickname for [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], itā€™s sweet as a stand-alone! [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u] is cute!

1 Like