Does anybody else feel this way?

The actual website sounds like it’s written by a critical older socialite/ somebody’s mother-in-law from [name_u]New[/name_u] Hampshire. I feel like all but a very few names are smacked down with “witty” remarks, like this person thinks they’re hilarious. I think [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] is a fine, handsome name. Well, the writer says it’s “fusty”. Hello, I speak common [name_f]English[/name_f], and what does that even mean? I think it would be helpful to mention all the pop references, so that people are aware. For example, I love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], but it’s the name of a popular cartoon character. It’s good to know, because to some people, it would dissuade them from naming their kid that. Others might not care. But nobody wants to have their name choice insulted in turn of the century slang. There are a handful of names that the writer actually likes, and the rest, the writer makes you doubt your choice on for no reason. It feels like a controlling in-law.

I have to disagree with this obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the site but I have re read what has been written about [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] and from my understanding no personal opinion has been offered. I can’t actually see the word fusty. But also the writers for nameberry are only offering their personal opinion an opinion that you can ignore. Ultimately everyone is entitled to an opinion! For me I associate the name [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] with Sephardic Jewish community that’s my association with the name. But that’s only my opinion on the name. You may associate with Madrid or whatever.

Regarding [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] more of an ‘opinion’ is offered with the name being referred to as ‘saucy Victorian favourite’ but personally I do not see [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] as saucy however that’s the writers opinion. To me I do not find the opinion controlling nothing like an interfering MIL :joy::joy:
Also nameberry is visited by people across the globe who do not know the cultural reference of the cartoon it’s near impossible for nameberry to know of all cultural references. I’m in the UK have no idea who this cartoon character is the only [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] association I have is the pop singer.

Obviously everyone’s entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree about the nameberry commentary

10 Likes

I think the style of commentary varies depending on when it was written. Most are fine by me! They have edited ones that were purely negative in the past I think. You can point them out and maybe an edit will happen.

Lol about [name_u]New[/name_u] Hampshire!

4 Likes

Hi @Little_Molly – It’s the fusty creator of Nameberry and author of the ten books it’s based on speaking. It sounds like you don’t realize that, unlike other name sites, this one is written by actual people who spend all their time studying names and who also read the message boards. If you have a problem with a specific entry, please let me know at pam@nameberry.com. We are always open to correcting something that’s offensive or wrong. Of course you’re entitled not to like Nameberry as a whole, its opinions, and its overall tone. But we’re not going to host a discussion trashing our own site.

17 Likes

Database entries you’d like to see amended

they made this topic a while back so you can let them know if there are name pages you think need tweeking, you might find it helpful :))

8 Likes

I don’t use nameberry often because I personally prefer to use other websites that focus on the etymology of the name instead of on the writer’s recommendations.

2 Likes

Opinions are like Nameberry’s USP. For me, it can be interesting to read the Nameberry owners’ opinions but they (usually) don’t have an impact on my own opinion on the name. Nobody is saying you have to agree with the writers’ opinion. (And I also don’t see the word fusty mentioned on the [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] entry, unless it’s been changed very recently.) If you want purely factual information, then there are other websites out there. And I agree with @tori101 that it would simply be impossible to mention all pop culture references, especially for common names.

5 Likes

I totally love the use of the word fusty! Hmm new topic??

I’m sorry, I thought you wanted feedback. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you only want positive feedback? I’m not here to kiss anyone’s ass, regardless of what they write. I also think the amount of names on here could be expanded. Vilify me as you must. Geez though, no wonder your phone app is stuck in 2004 if this is how you all handle criticism.

1 Like

I’d like to point out that I’m a human as well. The genuine article.

It’s not trashing. It’s a fixable thing. It’s a mindset that issues are fixable, not that everything is a personal slight. And if that’s how you feel, imagine how expecting mothers feel reading that kind of constant criticism about their name choices. If you’re this kind of website, then I really don’t care. People need to be open to change, or their businesses fail.

@Little_Molly maybe you don’t agree with the things that the writer suggests, but that isn’t a reason to completely slag nameberry off. by going on to say that you think the app is stuck in 2004, that nameberry will fail if they don’t listen to your suggestions, well, nobody is forcing you to be on here if you don’t like it.

2 Likes

This is unacceptable language and your point has been made, so I have now closed this thread.

Nameberry is of course open to constructive criticism — including on specific name entries the you think deserve a fresh look from our editorial team. Some of the entries are many years old at this point and there are certainly some that could or should be amended.

You can share any specific ones you come across in the thread below. We look at this and make updates at regular intervals.

In terms of your complaint, I find it a very strange one considering your own posting history. Just the other day the mod team had to remove a post of yours about the name Gunner (#308 in the US) which was absolutely full of classist stereotypes and inappropriate discussion of medical conditions.

Please bear our forum rules in mind going forwards.

11 Likes