Does anyone else like these odd female names?

See the results of this poll: Odd Female Names: Do You Like Any?

Respondents: 114 (This poll is closed)

• Hortense : 9 (3%)
  • Eunice/Estelle : 58 (22%)
  • Gertrude/Gertie/Gert/Trixie : 25 (10%)
  • Edwina : 32 (12%)
  • Ludmilla/Miroslava : 21 (8%)
  • Thelma : 15 (6%)
  • Mildred/Doris : 17 (7%)
  • Wilmet : 7 (3%)
  • Zamora : 28 (11%)
  • Pansy/Peony/Petal/Prune/Prunella: 47 (18%)

Um, I don’t see any names in your post.

I like the three E’s - [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] and [name_f]Eunice[/name_f]. The others are just too clunky even for this vintage name lover.

I love [name_f]Hortense[/name_f], Ludmilla (do prefer [name_f]Ludmila[/name_f] or Lioudmila, though), and [name_f]Petal[/name_f]… and on a similar notes: [name_f]Peridot[/name_f].
And along the lines of [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_f]Doris[/name_f] (don’t care for this), I think [name_f]Gladys[/name_f] is adorable :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f].

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is completely wearable.
I actually love [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]. Though it’s got some serious clunk in it’s trunk, it’s also really endearing. [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] [name_m]Stein[/name_m] was a genius, so great namesake there. And [name_f]Gertie[/name_f] is adorable.
I’ve always liked [name_f]Doris[/name_f]. It’s so pure and Greek and makes me think of [name_f]Doric[/name_f] columns. Most people probably associate it with plump old waitresses, but I don’t mind that. Plus, there’s the nickname [name_f]Dot[/name_f].
I want to like [name_f]Zamora[/name_f], but it rhymes with Gomorrah. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Xiomara[/name_f]?

My beloved black dog’s first name was [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], love it! :slight_smile:

heard of [name_f]Xiomara[/name_f]… sounds like a warrior woman!

[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] is smashing, I really like that one. I once had teddies that I named [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Edwina[/name_f].

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is lovely. [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] and [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] have a vintage 30s vibe about them. [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] would make good character names ([name_f]Mildred[/name_f]'s a GP of mine) and I prefer the original Wilmot to Wilmet. I don’t much care for the others.

I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] (not sure a little girl would like being named [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] though), and also [name_f]Petal[/name_f]. I actually met a little girl named [name_f]Petal[/name_f] and that made it more wearable for me. I think I’d prefer [name_f]Wilma[/name_f] or [name_f]Wilda[/name_f] to Wilmet.

What about [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]? I love that name.

I like [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] and [name_f]Ludmila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lyudmila[/name_f] (those spellings), and love Miroslava, especially with the nn [name_f]Mirka[/name_f]! [name_m]Roger[/name_m] Federer’s wife is Miroslava but goes by [name_f]Mirka[/name_f] all the time so I associate it with someone glamorous and athletic.

I voted for [name_f]Hortense[/name_f], [name_f]Edwina[/name_f], [name_f]Zamora[/name_f]…

However, I also like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] & [name_f]Peony[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I quite like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. The others are just not ready for prime time [name_f]IMO[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and I love [name_f]Petal[/name_f]!

I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], and [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] in English is okay (I find it horrible in my native [name_m]French[/name_m], though). Great NN potential with [name_u]True[/name_u], [name_u]Rue[/name_u], etc.

[name_f]Thelma[/name_f] is a name that I’ve developed a soft spot for, but I don’t think it’s doable for me. I have come to really like [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] (for [name_f]Millie[/name_f]) too, but again I have my reservations about it. At least with [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], it was my grandmother’s name, but I think for most people, [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] (along with [name_f]Bertha[/name_f], are among the most commonly cited examples of “ugly names”. (Coincidentally, my gram was [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]).

[name_f]Gertie[/name_f] is really cute, but is the name of a good friend’s super cute dog. I like [name_f]Ludmila[/name_f] and Miroslava a bit. For [name_f]Hortense[/name_f], I find variants, [name_f]Ortensia[/name_f] and Ortenzia, more attractive.

Other than [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] nn [name_f]Stella[/name_f], they are all terrible [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

is one of my top names, so I almost listed it, but I don’t think it sounds odd at all!